If you have a second chance... (1 Viewer)

Kalashnikov47

HSC
to restart from year 11. Would you still choose the same subject? I swear I will never choose legal studies if I had known this is a subject which is merely reinforcing common sense and had nothing to do with the real law in university. Also my legal study teacher is by far the laziest and irresponsible teacher I have seen. The text book we were asked to buy (by the school) was shit (it is the Cambridge one, I can tell you it is just orgy of nonsense and load of irrelevant information). The worst of all~~~ it is a SCALING DOWN SUBJECT !!! GODDAMN IT !!!!:angry::angry::angry::angry:

If anyone of you is from yr 10 and you are considering to do legal studies, then by my opinion: FORGET IT!

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
*pats* it's ok, it will all be over soon.

henry08

HSC
N/A
I wouldn't drop anything. I'd probably pick up an extra subject (Engineering Studies) so I'd have 15 units instead of 13.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Kalashnikov47 said:
to restart from year 11. Would you still choose the same subject? I swear I will never choose legal studies if I had known this is a subject which is merely reinforcing common sense and had nothing to do with the real law in university.
As if you didnt know that when you chose it

alez

feel like an angel
HSC
prob wouldnt do bio. *snore*
and possibly move schools. had so many teacher changes for chem bio and physics it isnt funny. and the level of incompetence from all of them....

HSC
Kalashnikov47 said:
to restart from year 11. Would you still choose the same subject? I swear I will never choose legal studies if I had known this is a subject which is merely reinforcing common sense and had nothing to do with the real law in university. Also my legal study teacher is by far the laziest and irresponsible teacher I have seen. The text book we were asked to buy (by the school) was shit (it is the Cambridge one, I can tell you it is just orgy of nonsense and load of irrelevant information). The worst of all~~~ it is a SCALING DOWN SUBJECT !!! GODDAMN IT !!!!:angry::angry::angry::angry:

If anyone of you is from yr 10 and you are considering to do legal studies, then by my opinion: FORGET IT!
Lol my teacher wrote some of the cambridge one. It isn't that bad.

Kalashnikov47

HSC
midifile said:
As if you didnt know that when you chose it
Ur rite~~~I chose it because there was nothing else that interested me on that subject line when I had the subject selection in year 10. My ill-informed decision was much due to my own fault. In year 11 I realised the teacher was rubbish but I thought he would take year 12 more seriously. So I dropped IPT in year 11 rather than Legal (IPT was even worse, it was too load of rubbish and thanks god they had changed the syllabus this year). In fact I think Legal Studies can be a little bit more interesting if my teacher did care about our studies.

Last edited:

SimonLee13

HSC
Kalashnikov47 said:

You're implying the yr 11+12 syllabus is based around fake law.

Kalashnikov47

HSC
i-love-maynard said:
Lol my teacher wrote some of the cambridge one. It isn't that bad.
trust me it is poorly written (if not poorly edited).
For example, in the section describing the role of the high court with regard to criminal justice system, there is only one brief sentence that is relevant to the topic. The rest of that paragraph is actually talking about CIVIL LAW which had nothing to do with criminal law whatsoever. The whole text books is conjured by vaguely written words that sound flamboyent (cant spell) yet mean absolutely nothing like our Advanced English syllabus. I always feel the text book was composed by a bunch of so-called educational professors from some petty universities who are wearing heavy spetacles whilst having no experience in neither teaching nor legal profession at all. In other word, it is a textbook written for the people to make money, not for the students to excell in HSC.

If by any chance you can see your teacher, please punch him/her in the face for all the students who have been misled, disadvantaged and jeopardised by his mumble-jumble legal bullshxt.

Kalashnikov47

HSC
SimonLee13 said:
No that is not what I was saying. My discontent on the Cambridge book must not be generalised so that the entire syllabus is demonised.

The syllabus... well... it is merely reinforcing common sense. If you are planning to get into the workforce straight away after yr 12, then I think legal studies would be extremely helpful for you because it increases your legal-consciousness. But if you are considering to do law or accounting or anything that has to do with law in university, then I must say choosing legal studies will probably work against you because its scaling is pretty bad.

Last edited:

ASNSWR127

HSC
well I can say right now that chem would have been dropped and legal studies picked up (on the same line). I would also have not attempted geography by correspondance in yr 11 and done bio

But I guess shit happens hey?

Kalashnikov47

HSC
SimonLee13 said:
BTW, I used the Heinemann textbook in year 11, I found it quite useful. Yet still, the syllabus is teaching you stuffs you dont need if you want to study law in university (which is what I want to do)

adidasboy

weee
HSC
Kalashnikov47 said:
BTW, I used the Heinemann textbook in year 11, I found it quite useful. Yet still, the syllabus is teaching you stuffs you dont need if you want to study law in university (which is what I want to do)
If you wanted to study law in university (assuming usyd) you wouldn't really want to do legal studies in high school, unless of course it's one of your extra units. It's scaled pretty crap + it's too easy tbh (my opinion).

giney

HSC
i do legal studies and i did not know it was a scaling down subject and that really annoys me.
is there a website or something where i can find out which subjects scale well and which dont?

however i do enjoy legal studies, i thought the content was nonsense in year 11 but it improved so much for year 12

how well do you have to do in a badly scaled subject to do well in the HSC?

Justina

HSC
I would ditch either Hist. Ext. or Maths ext. and pick up an extra unit of SOR

Kalashnikov47

HSC
Justina said:
I would ditch either Hist. Ext. or Maths ext. and pick up an extra unit of SOR
I'd rather pick up ext. hist in yr 12. In fact I did try to pick it up and drop legal, yet there were only three students in my year said they were intersted in the course, so the school couldnt open a class for only three students (in fact my school's ext II maths class only has 4 ppl)

benjihua93

HSC
so is legal studies really that bad because i heard from seniors at my school (patrician brothers fairfield) that it was good cos we have alrite teachers

Justina

HSC
Kalashnikov47 said:
I'd rather pick up ext. hist in yr 12. In fact I did try to pick it up and drop legal, yet there were only three students in my year said they were intersted in the course, so the school couldnt open a class for only three students (in fact my school's ext II maths class only has 4 ppl)
ah, thats what i did - i picked it up and dropped legal. We kept switching teachers, it was just horrible- didn't pick up much at all.....i only have 2 people in my hist. Ext. class, but 2 people is like.....11% of my whole grade, hehe. Took a while for the school to start the course though, we started a term late.

Mothers

Banned
HSC
I wish I had never picked math. I wish I did one of the histories instead. But whatever, it's almost over.

Eclipse008

HSC
N/A
Kalashnikov47 said:
trust me it is poorly written (if not poorly edited).
For example, in the section describing the role of the high court with regard to criminal justice system, there is only one brief sentence that is relevant to the topic. The rest of that paragraph is actually talking about CIVIL LAW which had nothing to do with criminal law whatsoever. The whole text books is conjured by vaguely written words that sound flamboyent (cant spell) yet mean absolutely nothing like our Advanced English syllabus. I always feel the text book was composed by a bunch of so-called educational professors from some petty universities who are wearing heavy spetacles whilst having no experience in neither teaching nor legal profession at all. In other word, it is a textbook written for the people to make money, not for the students to excell in HSC.

If by any chance you can see your teacher, please punch him/her in the face for all the students who have been misled, disadvantaged and jeopardised by his mumble-jumble legal bullshxt.
You sir, are an idiot. You can't rely on one text book for any subject. You will always find areas which are lacking in text books, this is why you buy multiple. Stop having a whinge and go to the library and borrow another textbook if it bothers you so much.

And you can't blame anyone but yourself for not being aware of the low scaling of legal studies. This information was always readily available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)