If Peter Costello became the leader of the opposition,could he win the next election? (1 Viewer)

If Peter Costello became the leader of the opposition, could he win the next election

• Total voters

SAVAK

Banned
HSC
N/A
lets face it, if nothing happens drastically with the opposition Rudd will win again. also, i never got $900 because my local MP said my daddy is rich. ..... and i needed the money to pay off my speeding fines.

mrcalkin

Banned
HSC
Re: If Peter Costello became the leader of the opposition,could he win the next elect

probly liberals best shot at winning it

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Re: If Peter Costello became the leader of the opposition,could he win the next elect

lets face it, if nothing happens drastically with the opposition Rudd will win again. also, i never got $900 because my local MP said my daddy is rich. ..... and i needed the money to pay off my speeding fines.
get a fucking job.

boris

Banned
HSC

iv vote for the cunt

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC

Yes.

He is the Liberals only chance for winning the election, Australians want to see him lead the Liberal party.

On an election that will be waged predominately over the economy, the Liberals would seriously benefit from one of the best treasurers this country has ever had.

u-borat

Banned
HSC

costello's going to wait in the background until turnbull most likely gets dumped in the next election; then he'll hopefully step forward and lead the libs to victory in the next election

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

Labor would welcome his return, so they can remind yall why you voted his rotten lazy government out in 2007

Response: RUDDKIP IS WHITLAM

thehorror
thehorror

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC

My prediction:
Labour wins 2010, after which Costello arrives and forms a team with Hockey. Together they win the next election to the dismay of about 45-50% of the Australian public.

We'll see how it pans out...

SAVAK

Banned
HSC
N/A

Labor would welcome his return, so they can remind yall why you voted his rotten lazy government out in 2007

Response: RUDDKIP IS WHITLAM

thehorror
thehorror
lol. im pretty sure if Rudd fucks up the economy the Australian people will have to reconsider and make a compromise. do they want to give Rudd another chance to fuck up....or give it to the pros?

but im just wondering, if Costello takes up the leader of the opposition...who takes up the shadow treasury? after all, Costello made a name as the greatest treasurer of australia.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

Youre an idiot. The voter is not as stupid as you. Most people have TVs and can see that this is a global crisis inherited by Labor. Rudd's response has been responsible and basically in-line with other western governments

Kujah

HSC
N/A

Maybe the next-next election if Turnbull is defeated.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC

I agree with you to a point Iron. I don't think anyone seriously suggests that Labor created the GFC.

It is when Rudd uses IMF statements that show we are in a relatively strong position because of budget surpluses and strong monetary policy - which he most certainly did inherit - and takes full credit for them - that I have an issue with.

He is becoming very David Irving-eqsue with his blatant rewriting of history to suit his party. I appreciate that he may make mistakes here and there because there isn't exactly a manual to deal with this type of event (much to a career diplomats chagrin, I'm sure). But to just blatantly refuse to acknowledge that the Libs effectively insulated Australia from the worst of the GFC is wrong.

If the next election is fought on economic credibility, and Costello is leader, then the Libs have to be considered a chance.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Could he? As I said elsewhere, with the present focus on the economy the Coalition need a heavyweight to reclaim the mantle as superior economic manager. Who better than Costello who presided over 11 years of boom, built the surplus, paid off the debt etc? Costello = economic credibility.

He can win. But will he? So much of politics is out of control of the players. A bit of luck helps too.

I don't think the coalition could win an 09 election. Doesn't matter who is leading them. Too early to say if they could win in 2010, much will depend on the economy.

I agree with u-borat that he may be waiting for 2013. Most governments should be able to win 2 terms, after that they are vulnerable

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

All things considered, I think that there's no way he can win. His whole political career seems characterized by gutlessness and his entire time since the election has been a massive dummy-spit. It's not only a bad look, it's destabilizing, it's arrogant and shows a fundamental selfishness

Now that we hear that his collegues have practically been begging him to step up during this difficult time, where is he? Still in parliament, but still avoiding the heavy lifting. I really hate this man.

Gerald10

HSC

WorkChoices

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC

Yes.

He is the Liberals only chance for winning the election, Australians want to see him lead the Liberal party.

On an election that will be waged predominately over the economy, the Liberals would seriously benefit from one of the best treasurers this country has ever had.
Ya our strong economy was definitely due to sound economic management. That's why so much was invested in infrastructure and research.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC

It's all about timing, Iron. Rudd did precisely the same thing in 07. He watched the implosion of Crean/Latham/Beazley in preceding years and waited until he was in a strong position to tackle the government, and when he thought he had the numbers. Costello is biding his time doing precisely the same thing.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

Rubbish. Rudd was trying solidly as soon as he got in, just like Turnbull. It just took a while for the dead wood to give way

Costello is now your dead wood. I just hope he doesnt further damage the potential of a truely great leader in Turnbull

Gerald10

HSC

Turnbull and Hockey are the future of the Libs without question. I think its typical of conservatives with an uncertain future to be looking backward to a percieved safer, better past which didn't really exist in the first place.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)