• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

If Peter Costello became the leader of the opposition,could he win the next election? (1 Viewer)

If Peter Costello became the leader of the opposition, could he win the next election

• Total voters

Lentern

HSC
Re: If Peter Costello became the leader of the opposition,could he win the next elect

Turnbull is the libs version of latham
:jaw:

I've heard some pretty whacky comparisons in politics. Kevin Rudd and Gough Whitlam, John Howard and Winston Churchill, Julia Gillard and Maggie Thatcher. But this one just tops it. Then again I've often compared Latham to Hewson and Peter Brent did predict that Turnbull would get increasingly Hewsonesque the longer he lead the party. But at the moment :jaw:

SAVAK

Banned
HSC
N/A
Re: If Peter Costello became the leader of the opposition,could he win the next elect

Youre an idiot. The voter is not as stupid as you. Most people have TVs and can see that this is a global crisis inherited by Labor. Rudd's response has been responsible and basically in-line with other western governments
Keep the insults to yourself.

I am in no way advocating that Krudd is the cause of the global financial crisis. Ok? Capiche.

What I am trying to to say is that there are a certain % of Australians who are rightfully sceptical about his management of BOTH stimulus packages. Many have argued his first hand out had somewhat short term impact, the same can be said to the current one. Is he playing politics with OUR money?

Oh, just because a few countries on the other side of the globe have done X Y Z doesn’t mean it’s correct. There are many people pushing forward keynesianism economic philosophy isn’t going to work.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC

At this stage I'm probably going to be voting Liberal if it's Turnbull at the head. If it were Costello then I definately would.
That said, Rudd has too much popular support at this point in time to be toppled at the next election. The Australian public supports his rhetoric of "we need to get into debt to avoid recession, no matter the cost". Wait 'til the election after next when the recession may have receeded slightly and people start looking at the whopping debt hangover they have from all the spending.
Hopefully Costello's waiting too.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

:jaw:

I've heard some pretty whacky comparisons in politics. Kevin Rudd and Gough Whitlam, John Howard and Winston Churchill, Julia Gillard and Maggie Thatcher. But this one just tops it. Then again I've often compared Latham to Hewson and Peter Brent did predict that Turnbull would get increasingly Hewsonesque the longer he lead the party. But at the moment :jaw:
He has a notoriously explosive temper which the media has not yet been able to provoke

In time, in time
(like, the last few days of a tight campaign)

ziki

HSC

i dont even get why costello quited politics in the first place. He could of easily taken over the job as lib leader when howard quitted, but now so glad his back and hopefully he will take the job at last. Seriously, turnbull just sucks..... he supported bishop's theory of 'cutting tax will increase tax revenue' Costello and Hockey is the way to go for lib if they want to have any chance against the rudd government

HSC

There was actually an American libertarian economist who thought that by cutting income tax, the government would create economic incentives that would promote growth and end up generating more revenue overall.

But I suspect Ms Bishop was perhaps a little confused.

Lentern

HSC

He has a notoriously explosive temper which the media has not yet been able to provoke

In time, in time
(like, the last few days of a tight campaign)
Latham embraced the fact he had a shortfuse and endeavoured not to be the middle aged, greying, longwinded, all things to all people jack of all trades. Turnbull however embraces being Jack.

SpoonSamba

HSC

Costello needs to fuck off and stop pretending he's still important

Lentern

HSC

i dont even get why costello quited politics in the first place. He could of easily taken over the job as lib leader when howard quitted, but now so glad his back and hopefully he will take the job at last. Seriously, turnbull just sucks..... he supported bishop's theory of 'cutting tax will increase tax revenue' Costello and Hockey is the way to go for lib if they want to have any chance against the rudd government
Costello knew that whoever came to the leadership in the wake of the election loss would be chewed up and spat out, the ultimate victim of circumstance. Instead the person who suffered that fate, really couldn't have been more deserving. A fitting end for the unequalled political harlot that is Brendan.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

Latham embraced the fact he had a shortfuse and endeavoured not to be the middle aged, greying, longwinded, all things to all people jack of all trades. Turnbull however embraces being Jack.
Sigh

Latham underwent the same moderation of his behaviour when he became leader as Turnbull. It was only during the campaign that the wheels fell off

spiny norman

HSC

All things considered, I think that there's no way he can win. His whole political career seems characterized by gutlessness and his entire time since the election has been a massive dummy-spit. It's not only a bad look, it's destabilizing, it's arrogant and shows a fundamental selfishness

Now that we hear that his collegues have practically been begging him to step up during this difficult time, where is he? Still in parliament, but still avoiding the heavy lifting. I really hate this man.
Iron summed it up on page one.

He was one of my preferred Cabinet Ministers of Howard's. The longer he's stayed around, though, contributing nothing but destabilising everything, the more I come to hold him in as much contempt as the worst of them. Perhaps he's a little politically better, but he's a man who seems to have no interest in the party's future, but only in the best interest for himself (aside for the time what's in his best interest isn't in his party's best interest, as was the case for much of Howard's 3rd and 4th terms, then he just seems to not know what to do).

I can't wait to see the day he leaves politics.

Lentern

HSC

Sigh

Latham underwent the same moderation of his behaviour when he became leader as Turnbull. It was only during the campaign that the wheels fell off
With respect it did not go like that on either count. For starters Turnbull lead sthe party in much the same way he was shadow treasurer and minister for the environment. He was seen as Nelsons most able politician. Latham as Crean's shadow treasurer was polarising, aggressive, to use one word, dumb. Latham throughout his leadership whilst not the Mario Savio he was under Crean was belligerent, aggressive, polarising, angry, impatient... a larikin. If you recall it has often been described as "the latham experiment." His massive approval ratings and strong prefered pm's never translated into the actual voting intention leads.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP

Pre-Parliament Turnbull was a force of nature. I still like him very much, but he's not (imo) his bold and daring old self.

Lentern

HSC

SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP

Pre-Parliament Turnbull was a force of nature. I still like him very much, but he's not (imo) his bold and daring old self.
Pre parliament Latham clocked a taxi driver in the head.

Iron I used to play soccer, our coach knew what he was talking about, savvy bloke but one of the Dad's who filled in sometimes was a brainless twit. He used to play rugby league. When a skilled player had the ball at his feet we knew to jocke/parry him, wait for him to relinquish a bit of control of the ball and thats when you try and dispossess him.

The rugby league assistant coach however had a differen't plan, he thought we were giving the other team too much time, too much breathing space, he said we had to get in their faces. When our coach went away for two weeks our assistant coached us to do just that and so most of the time we were sprinting in at a player who had perfect control of the ball. It did catch them by surprise a few times which the assistant claimed was evidence that the idea had merrit, but most of the time the player with strong control would just zip past you. There was only consideration of what good results the tactic would achieve and none of the problems it would cause.

Latham was like our assistant coach, he devised a tactic that did force Howard to play a game he was less comfortble in but in doing so he polarised an incredible number of voters.

spiny norman

HSC

What an awful analogy.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC

I think Turnbull deserves this term and this election. Hell, probably deserves two. He's not put a foot wrong, made some brave moves, the right moves in opposing the handouts. He's really done nothing wrong, and when he does get air time, he looks good, he's strong in every respect, you can't fault him. There's talk his silvertail background will be a Turnoff for voters, but the softly spoken, mandarin speaking Rudd, comes across as far more of a wanker imo. Rudd's no Beazley.

Opinion polls this far out from the election mean nothing, there'll be a strong swing come election day, election campaign will get the wise and moderate face of Turnbull out there, the right man to lead Australia through this crisis.

Costello would be destabilising imo. He's a shell of a man, hasn't shown a hint of backbone or courage in months, his ascension to leader of the opposition would come across as a plum gift based on entitlement, rather than real merit at this point. He had his chance. Costello is really infuriating, he should fuck off to some hole and be clear in his intentions.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC

Joe Hockey 2014.

Yes we can.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC

I wrote earlier about how Costello as leader and Turnbull as treasurer would be the dream team, but I think I have got it wrong. Turnbull should get all the time he needs. Costello would have made a great PM imo, but for one reason or another, either through poor timing by Howard or cowardice after the election defeat in not accepting the leadership, he has had his chance.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC

Anybody listen to those twits on Tripple J, from 5-6?

What a bunch of fuck knuckles, do they even know what they're talking about.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC

I was driving home and it was making me angry.

Seriously, I don't even think they understand what they're talking about. It was basically a circle jerk about how good Rudd is and how bad Turnbull is, but with nothing to substantiate it.

I was like wtfz

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)