i need help badly!!!*cries* (1 Viewer)

*kRiStYNA*

my ext. diary is due first week back after the holidays and i havent even finalised my topic. ive got two
gough whitlam , idiot or political genius
or
ned kelly, fact or fiction
ned kelly has been the HRDEST thing to research, i just cant find jack all on him being fiction, they all just talk about his idolism in society today...

and gough whitlam is interesting , but im sure ill be bored of in within a few weeks, so pls sumone help me out i dunno whether to scrap out both ideas and start new, or which to choose ...

help.

dezzy

HSC
follow your heart....your dreams....your aspirations!!!

soz- i just bein a silly bugga...

goooooooooooood luck!

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
What do u think you would enjoy studying more??? Do something that you wont get really bored of because u have 10 months or so to work on it - and if u are sick of it early its going to be a pain.

If ur *australian* historically orientated then the Kelly one would be okay - you probably would find historians that have written about him and his legend... Ummm you could look at the portray of him in the movie (with heath ledger - plus u get to watch heath ledger so thats a plus)

If u go to www.questia.com and type in Ned Kelly, have a look at all the books on him - a couple they mention r;

• Peter Carey, True HIstory of the Kelly Gang
  • John Malony, Ned Kelly

They also have magazine articles u can find etc.

Mabye you could base it on one of your favorite preliminary course topics.

What ever u do decide to do - make sure its ur choice - dont let soemone 'help' and force u to do something u arn't going to like

hope that helps

Last edited:

*10#

hey i say perhaps consider changing your topic - i changed mine like three times and eventually i found a topic which was hard to research but i found it really rewarding because it was so interesting - when i actually found historians it was so worth the wait

you will definately have enough time in the hols to change your topic - your teacher surely cant expect much pregress yet - just the initial stages

i was writing my first draft two days before the project was due and i ended up with top marks
anyways try to be organised it will be less stressful then again some people like me thrive on stress it motivates me!!!
anyways goodluck and try to enjoy it!

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
*10# is right....u shouldn't panic just yet...its still early stages...i changed my topic a month before i had to hand it in...only wrote my first draft two weeks before hand...and didn't finish my research until 5 days before the due date and i still managed top marks...look just go with what your interested in...you'll find a topic as you research that area I promise!

LOL, u need t be interested...it seems your interested in Australian history...go from there...someone else from 2003 did ned kelly...u could always go through the older posts and pm them for another perspective...i think it was Malayz_angel!

*kRiStYNA*

HMmMmM

Yeh im gonna change it for sure...
im not realli into the australian history, im more into politics than anything...
i originally wanted to do eisenhowers involvement in the D-day operations but my teacher rejected it harshly....
and then i thought about vikings, but theres no historian comments around about them....
so if worse comes to worse i guess gough is my man.
but thanks for ur help anyways,
kris

EmmaKate

Ned Kelly is tops

My advice is Ned Kelly, because there is oodles and oodles of stuff on him, once you know where to find it.
There are documents by the squillions and there is alot that you can do to get your hands on them. Above everything, do not worry! And trust me, there is alot you can find about this guy if you look hard enough.

Love Em:p

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by *kRiStYNA*
Yeh im gonna change it for sure...
im not realli into the australian history, im more into politics than anything...
i originally wanted to do eisenhowers involvement in the D-day operations but my teacher rejected it harshly....
and then i thought about vikings, but theres no historian comments around about them....
so if worse comes to worse i guess gough is my man.
but thanks for ur help anyways,
kris
yeah there is....

the presupposed western image of the viking as opposed to their actual factual reality ....

they werent all lunatics and stuff....great one on how media distorts history

sugared plum

HSC
Originally posted by *kRiStYNA*
my ext. diary is due first week back after the holidays and i havent even finalised my topic. ive got two
gough whitlam , idiot or political genius
or
ned kelly, fact or fiction
ned kelly has been the HRDEST thing to research, i just cant find jack all on him being fiction, they all just talk about his idolism in society today...

and gough whitlam is interesting , but im sure ill be bored of in within a few weeks, so pls sumone help me out i dunno whether to scrap out both ideas and start new, or which to choose ...

help.
i'm not sure your 'focus questions' for both topics are quite on track. you've got to identify the historiographical issues in the case study, same as in the course work.
so, without ever having researched whitlam or ned kelly, i'd be saying both are an issue of the individual in history - do individuals shape the world, or are there other long term forces in operation?; then you'll have the issue of sources, political stuff with whitlam, and probably social historians writing about his life etc. maybe psychoanalysts too??? you have to go to the library and see...

with ned kelly, the stuff about his idolism is interesting - judgements in history, cultural significance of history etc.

it's very hard to explain but maybe you need to broaden your scope before saying you want to look at 'fact or fiction'.

HOWEVER, at the end of the day you have to please your teacher, cause they mark it. so just make sure you're doing what s/he wants, and it will be ok.

*kRiStYNA*

my teacher luvd the idea of me doing an australian politician. and suggested i do how historians percieve him to be a political genius as oppsed to a complete moron (dismissal) so...yeh i think im coverd if i do what she was so very excited about anyways...

sugared plum

HSC
okkkk, but that still sort of misses what i was trying to say in terms of historiographical issues.

bias, sources, writing history of the individual as opposed to period, judgements etc

*kRiStYNA*

sooo how they percieved whitlam at the time of the dismissal, to how they see him now using hisorians from differnt times between now and then?

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
Originally posted by amoz_lilo
is hist. ext 1 based on assessments? like is there an end of year hsc test?
yes there is an end of yr hsc exam, as well as a trial and half yrly...the major project is worth bout 80% of our scool mark i think (trial and half yrly make up 20% or so)

Jennibeans

HSC
I agree with whats been said
Don't forget you can write all this stuff down in your journal. That you did some preliminary research on Kelly and came up with a one sided argument stuff like that

tina_j

woaaaahhh
haha hey im new to this whole site actually - found it a few days while browsing for some english essays i think - its really great, going to refer to it heaps now.
ok so my thing here is i want your help... haha i'm doing hist ext too, we haven't really gotten into it too much just yet becuase we have to have after school lessons because the school is too gay to timetable it into the timetable...
soooo, i think i am pretty fucked cos im still really unsure about what i wanna do as my majorwork
i had to hand in a draft draft draft proposal (which i can't believe it worth like 20 marks!) on the last day of school and it was about doing something about U2 - i really love U2 and it was something along the lines of sort of assessing their contribution to music or something about studying how their music is related to political and social issues and stuff like that
but.... its not really history and im just too scared to start it i think, i have heaps of references but i just dont know what to do!
helllppp me hahah

sugared plum

HSC
omg that would be the most difficult thing to do.

my friend did his project on music, i think he was focusing on black american music?? or something. it sounded really interesting, but i don't think he did very well because our teacher didn't like it

ok but the first problem you have is that your focus question
---assessing their contribution to music or something about studying how their music is related to political and social issues---
does not really achieve the outcomes of the course.

if you wanted to stick with U2, you'd have to write about how historians (music historians and regular social historians) have perceived the music of U2. i don't think it's that great because U2 didn't play any great part in the history of ireland as africanamerican music did for the liberation.

so yes, good luck anyway if you choose to go with it.

enter~space~cap

{Enter-Space-Capsule}
hrer write this in ur diary entry:

today i went to an online community, bored of Studies, website http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/ and asked around for hints on my topic. I was greeted by all sorts of comments and suggestions, as well as one which suggested to me to write this incident into my log book.

SUNIL

HSC
umm..if u like ned kely then it wold be worth researching but if u have no interst then SCREW IT..pick sumthing you like

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)