I hate english (1 Viewer)

mira.mourad

HSC
OK its not my teacher shes great.. it's not that i don't try hard enough.

Im only here to relate to others out there who feel the same way.. :D

i dunno if its a weakness or whatever, but it's weird. I'm getting 90% + for all my other subjects.. but for English i am around the 60% area.. I KNOW THIS IS BAD.... its horrible.

I don't know why i do so bad.. but i hate the fact that english inccorporates the ability to be creative, and have flair.. have great sentence structure and use high levels of sophistication.. thats where i lose marks. I've always been a person of logical thinking and right answer/wrong answer, so maybe this is why i do so bad. I don't know how to put it.. My uai and therefore my future career choice is influenced greatly by my english mark.. but i don't see how english or the ability to write suberb 20/20 essays could EVER coincide with careers in medicine which require an extremely HIGH UAI.

I hate how the mood of a marker can affect the mark of an english paper. In almost every other subject this wouldn't happen.. You answer the question correctly, you get full marks. With an english paper, there are 2884398234093248902348482348023408483428 possibilities of writing an answer, and each answer has 432342349234987234023492348842348234 reasons for the mark it recieved, ranging from use of quotes, techniques, punctuation/grammar, structure, sophistication, etc.. W.T. fucking F

Ill give you an example of what i mean. I dont want my weakness of writing band 6 essays on shakespearean literature, nor my incompetent ability to write exciting 'creative stories' on 'belonging', (which will never affect my future) influence my chance at a sucessful one... if that makes sense.

Thanks for hearing my bitch, now all the english lovers can blow some steam. Does anyone agree with anything i said? And please if your good at english.. please don't say how its 'easy' or i 'dont try hard enough'. If it came to science and mathamatics i would rape you. I guess it's just that i can't think outside the box? I'm not creative? I dunno..
Technique + Effect + quote +realte to question = Band 6

eg Area of study
Question : how does belonging demonstrate the value of belonging and indeed not belonging?

this is part of my essay with a reatled material for the crucible and a synthysis

“Nobody Understands” is a visual from the picture book “The Red Tree” by Shaun Tan who has shown a part of a little girls dark and uneven journey. The girl wakes up one day and Tan has effectively shown how the little girl values belonging and not belonging simultaneously through the colouring and the positioning of the image.

The girl is sitting in a bottle with a helmet on her head. The bottle is a symbol of a physical barrier which separates and ostracises her from the audience. It is evident here that she doesn’t value belonging, causing the audience to wonder why. Positioned on the far left of the frame, the bottle reveals that her separation is depressing and belonging is simply not an option and she only has herself for comfort. Her head is tilted to the floor which supports the title “Nobody Understands” because she has ostarcised herself and on one knows what she is feeling. The image is dominated by a bluish, black tone. These colours emphasises that the little girl depressions is largely gloomy, but white is being introduce in the distance which may suggest that there is hope for the little girl and she does value returning and belonging to her community.

Valuing belonging is a feeling that is almost non existent in the little girls mind. This is the exact opposite of Mary Warren. Mary desperately wants to be accepted into a group friends that her value for belonging affects her loyalty to the Proctors who forces her to tell the truth “you will tell the courts what you know”. Her loyalty is torn away from Proctor and she seems pretty content with the decision she has made. The little girl in “nobody understands” is affected by her hope to return to her society. Tan reveals her value to belong indirectly but gradually grows and she begins to realise belonging is enhanced by her need for self satisfaction to return to her community.

you get the idea???

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
you share my pain. I hate English because it's going to drag my uai down.

JesseC

HSC
English is by far the worst subject in school, sure it is fine up until year 11 and 12. Then you start to get markers who are absolute arse holes, later in my life when am I going to have to write an encapsulating, detailed piece of creative writing that sucks in the responder? I was unaware that i would have to be a creative writer whilst working in an IT department somewhere. English is dragging my UAI down, i do mildly alright in english but nothing fantastic.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I was unaware that i would have to be a creative writer whilst working in an IT department somewhere.
What about creative coding. Isn't that a writing ;)

English develops language skills. People often say why can't we have classes on spelling, grammar etc. Truth is, no one would sit through two years of punctuation.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
At least when i am writing code, it does not have to be engaging and/or exciting
Damn. I was so looking forward to kicking back with some entertaining coding.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
English is going to drag me down too.. but not by too much I guess.

I like English when I get good marks, and hate it when I get bad marks.

as opposed to Maths where I like it regardless of whether my marks are good or bad

christoffpow

HSC
sorry, but i think many people on this site would probably rape u instead... unless your a supernerd or sumthing attending a school ranked 506 for no reason

I'm here to relate to anyone else who feels the way i do about English.. Not justify myself to sad fucks like you

I would also like to apologize. I forgot the majority of this site didn't consist of your average students. Instead, it consists of stuck up know-it-all retards who try to pick out the faults of every.single.thread. Your life = boredofstudies.org

My bad bro.

christoffpow

HSC
Technique + Effect + quote +realte to question = Band 6

eg Area of study
Question : how does belonging demonstrate the value of belonging and indeed not belonging?

this is part of my essay with a reatled material for the crucible and a synthysis

“Nobody Understands” is a visual from the picture book “The Red Tree” by Shaun Tan who has shown a part of a little girls dark and uneven journey. The girl wakes up one day and Tan has effectively shown how the little girl values belonging and not belonging simultaneously through the colouring and the positioning of the image.

The girl is sitting in a bottle with a helmet on her head. The bottle is a symbol of a physical barrier which separates and ostracises her from the audience. It is evident here that she doesn’t value belonging, causing the audience to wonder why. Positioned on the far left of the frame, the bottle reveals that her separation is depressing and belonging is simply not an option and she only has herself for comfort. Her head is tilted to the floor which supports the title “Nobody Understands” because she has ostarcised herself and on one knows what she is feeling. The image is dominated by a bluish, black tone. These colours emphasises that the little girl depressions is largely gloomy, but white is being introduce in the distance which may suggest that there is hope for the little girl and she does value returning and belonging to her community.

Valuing belonging is a feeling that is almost non existent in the little girls mind. This is the exact opposite of Mary Warren. Mary desperately wants to be accepted into a group friends that her value for belonging affects her loyalty to the Proctors who forces her to tell the truth “you will tell the courts what you know”. Her loyalty is torn away from Proctor and she seems pretty content with the decision she has made. The little girl in “nobody understands” is affected by her hope to return to her society. Tan reveals her value to belong indirectly but gradually grows and she begins to realise belonging is enhanced by her need for self satisfaction to return to her community.

you get the idea???
Yeah thanks man, i appreciate it.

christoffpow

HSC
English is going to drag me down too.. but not by too much I guess.

I like English when I get good marks, and hate it when I get bad marks.

as opposed to Maths where I like it regardless of whether my marks are good or bad

So do i lol

christoffpow

HSC
na your problem isnt with english, its the fact that you have the "asian gene"

instead of whinge to the BOS about your problems, what you should do is ask your parents why the fuck did they not make you white

Instead of whinge to the BOS about your racism, what you should do is ask your parents why the fuck did they not make you respectful.

And um, actually I'm white, and probably a hell of a lot more whiter than you. You racist fuck

christoffpow

HSC
i think the dislike of english comes from these 2 facts:
1: you would hate any subject that your not good at that is relevent to you
2: you are forced to do english

what i mean by relevent to you is that, you wouldn't care if u sucked at a subject you weren't doing

at OP: everyone is in the same boat, everyone has to do english, those that are better at math/sciences are disadvantaged by this, but those that are good at humanties are disadvantaged by the terrible scaling of every subject they like, maths is given incredibly generous scaling and the humanties people can't take advantage of this, sciences are also but to a lesser extent, very generously scaled subjects.
Thanks bro. I know, it just seems so irrelevant in terms of my future.. come on. Creative writing stories on 'Belonging'? These kind of things they make you do in English is just like catholic studies, and just like probability in mathematics. It's pointless.

Drewx

HSC
I just hate the text I have to do.
Frankenstein bored me to tears its so shit
Bladerunner is good the first time but after seeing it like 3 times it gets really bland and you realize how crappy the ending is
Hamlet is flat our boring until the ultimate deathmatch in the 5th act
The Justice Game was the only interesting text but I just find trouble trying to find other texts to relate to it

LollitaEx

Muggle
HSC
Im really not a big fan of english either. Congrats all those who are....some guy in my class recieved 104/105 for his trials mark....bitch haha. Totally screwed up paper 2, and like you...all my other subjects are 90 and over. English worries me.....sucky.

You're lucky, my teacher is a massive douche. She told students she purposefully removed the guys 105th mark, just to make him feel crap....................WTF

Brontozaurus

HSC
English develops language skills. People often say why can't we have classes on spelling, grammar etc. Truth is, no one would sit through two years of punctuation.
It has also given me a tendency to go into violent spasms at the mention of the word 'belonging'.

Jayson89

HSC
ye even pretty much every1 at my school who's near-top at english hates it...you generally come to severely dislike it even if you understand what u need to do to get top marks

that aside, quite good essays (bout 90-95 hsc mark) are generally immensely LOGICAL, and each thing you say e.g. techniques, has a purpose towards supporting your argument.

It's just for 95+ you need 'flair' and 'style' which I find retarded too. That requires da skill of saying the same complex ideas in simple not-overkill on bigwords, way. I don't have that skill...but I can appreciate why its not completely bs.

. altho, da necessity to add certain 'components' such as context, techniques, quotes, etc, makes adv eng shit.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Anyways this Friday my English books would be in the words of Hamlet "Ashes to Ashes, dust to dust".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)