• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

I got a job. (1 Viewer)

texta83

HSC
Well exactly one week after getting my final marks of my degree I am employed.
After the interviews they said I was in a dead heat with someone from usyd (with honours which i dont have). My reference from my industry experience is what got me the job.

I hope people from other unis read this. The position is at an excellent company and pays an extremely good graduate wage. At no stage did they care who went to what uni. They looked at my marks, asked about my experience, asked me some difficult questions and thats it.

Unis don't make a degree good or bad, students do.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Congratulations and well done :)

Did your degree require you to do industrial experience? Because thats what I like (but also hate) about mine.

Also, since you have graduated, did jobs start coming up during third year and when did you start applying? I'll have to start keeping an eye out now :(

hYperTrOphY

HSC
texta83 said:
Well exactly one week after getting my final marks of my degree I am employed.
After the interviews they said I was in a dead heat with someone from usyd (with honours which i dont have). My reference from my industry experience is what got me the job.

I hope people from other unis read this. The position is at an excellent company and pays an extremely good graduate wage. At no stage did they care who went to what uni. They looked at my marks, asked about my experience, asked me some difficult questions and thats it.

Unis don't make a degree good or bad, students do.
Congratulations.
May I ask - what degree did you do, and what job did you get?

texta83

HSC
My degree is Ba. Computer Science. The position is as an analyst/programmer at ninemsn. I have been looking at potential jobs ever since i started my degree :), but only really started applying when i got confirmation of my final marks. The industry experience was a core unit in my final year.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Also, it's easy to get into Comp Sci honours. It's not much of an achievment.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
texta83 said:
I hope people from other unis read this.
congratulations.

but, with respect to your comment, if you do not feel inferior in yourself, then you really have nothing to prove to anyone from another university.

Benny1103

HSC
N/A
Quite clearly, the logical interpretation of Seraphim's post is basically that there was no point in mentioning that some other person had honours. It doesn't make that person anymore of a threat just because he/she had honours.

It's also quite strange that this kind of thread needed to be made here - haven't seen any threads like this in other forums. This probably would have been better in the general section of Tertiary Study.

L

LaraB

the thread is relevant here - it is in response to the constant bullshitting and uni bashing frmo other students in here...

and yes - one student does prove a lot since 90% of the morons posting in here say "If you go to uws YOU WILL NOT get a job because city uni grads will ALWAYS be hired 1st"

there have been endless posts in here started by non uws students basically with the intent of 'proving' that a city uni name will get you a job over industry experience so i fail to see how this thread is irrelevant in here...

it has nothing to do with texta83 being insecure - it has to do with having another example to those who continue to come in here and post bullshit threads

if you think its weird that this thread needs to be created you should be looking at your own uni's students and what's wrong with them then, since they are the ones who come in here with the sole purpose of bagging out the uni without anything to base it on... you don't see us doing that in other uni's forums..

congrat texta83! hope you enjoy the job :) nice to hear you're employed before you even technically graduate:)

L

LaraB

natstar said:
He's not trying to get into honours. He got a job. Why isent getting a graduate job before you graduate an achievement?
exactly:p especially since most students crap on about how desperately they wanna graduate with honours because you'll be consider higher for a job than non-honours students...

which is so not true.... you need the experience etc to go along with it.... its pretty useless ina lot of fields on its own..

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
LaraB said:
and yes - one student does prove a lot since 90% of the morons posting in here say "If you go to uws YOU WILL NOT get a job because city uni grads will ALWAYS be hired 1st"
what is the effect of 'morons' if no one actually listens to them? are you worried that they'd rather go to the city unis than your beloved institution? it wouldn't matter anyway, for the negative is countered by your endless trumpet-blowing in threads like this one.

you generalise the UWS -v- City Uni debate too much lara, and, as you say, you are clearly biased.

my point is, not all of us are UWS-bashing wankers. that said, not all of us want your propaganda shoved in our faces.

merry christmas.

Benny1103

HSC
N/A
if you think its weird that this thread needs to be created you should be looking at your own uni's students and what's wrong with them then, since they are the ones who come in here with the sole purpose of bagging out the uni without anything to base it on... you don't see us doing that in other uni's forums..
Uh...I go to Melbourne...I haven't seen anyone from there coming here and bagging out uws. You shouldn't just assume that I'm from a NSW city uni just because I haven't immediately started chucking a spaz in every single uws related thread.

texta83

HSC
I didn't mean to start a debate. Just was happy to have got a job. It shits me when people from other unis just come in here to talk shit about UWS.
I wasn't trying to put usyd down, it is a fine school (as is UWS). I just thought it was a good effort to come out ahead of somebody who had done an extra year of study. There is a saying in golf: driving is for show, putting is for dough.

Similarily: University name is for show, interview skills and experience are for dough.

klh

HSC
hi there! Merry Xmas and a happy New year as well as Congratulations on getting a job so soon! I believe the average time is like 6 months after graduation? I read that somewhere...

Maybe you have not, but you cannot deny that there is aloy of ill sentiment out there theowing their crap at us, so maybe we can at least show some examples that wah they say is based on wrong perceptions, rumours, world of mouth etc.

L

LaraB

Frigid said:
what is the effect of 'morons' if no one actually listens to them? are you worried that they'd rather go to the city unis than your beloved institution? it wouldn't matter anyway, for the negative is countered by your endless trumpet-blowing in threads like this one.

you generalise the UWS -v- City Uni debate too much lara, and, as you say, you are clearly biased.

my point is, not all of us are UWS-bashing wankers. that said, not all of us want your propaganda shoved in our faces.

merry christmas.
aww lovely as that post is.. i can't be stuffed writing a long response since what you say doesn't mean shit... put simply - you;re wrong... i haven't ever said all of 'you' are uws bashing wankers, i have never said there aren't bad points about uws..

and OMG! You honestly believe MY posts outweigh all the bashing!

don't make bullshit claims unless you can prove em...

if you don't give a shit about what people think about uws, get out of this forum.

i don 't give a fuck what uni people go to - all i am doing is giving people a side other than "UWS is shit"...

since you've decided to police this forum and you appear to have a lot of time on your hands - how bout you go thru the other threads then and chastise posts like "UWS is shit coz i have friends who go there and they say its shit" or "going to UWS tells employers you were too dumb to go elsewhere"... you are out of your fuckin mind if you honestly believe me posting positive stuff about the uni with actual reasons for it outweighs EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE POSTS!

L

LaraB

Benny1103 said:
Uh...I go to Melbourne...I haven't seen anyone from there coming here and bagging out uws. You shouldn't just assume that I'm from a NSW city uni just because I haven't immediately started chucking a spaz in every single uws related thread.
the 'you' i was referring to was non-uws students... the context of the post clearly infers that

L

LaraB

hmmm Frigid - i went back via the link you had in your post...

sorry but since your so up on ur high horse about this - can you point out the 'trumpet blowing" coz uh.. there is none....

thats my posts from that forum... the initial post asked about uts vs uws - i provided info about uws since i don't go to uts so unlike some i'm not gonna talk about uts since i don't go there.... i clearly stated that i don't know about uts but uws does xyz, which may be an advantage if uts doesn't...

seriously - find something better to do than chastise my posts... geez - do you want me to send you the numerous thank yous from that poster about the info i provided them? did it ever occur to you i was in the poster's EXACT SAME POSITION! and they asked for MY REASONS FOR MY DECISION! if my decision was to go to uws over uts, why the hell would i tell them uts is fab and uws is a shit uni as they asked why i picked uws ahead of uts?

u gotta keep in mind with employment stats of uws law graduates - uws' student base is very different from otehr unis - by this i mean the number of mature aged, post grads, international students and domestic students who move overseas after they graduate... add to that that it's a young uni then its not necessariliy as terrible a thing as people make out...

and besides - if you're a HD student no one's gonan care where you went to and if you're that 'smart' you're gonna get a job

just a question - what campus did you go to?

because just about every campus has extremely simple transport available if you're going by train/bus or whatever... and depending on what time of year and what campus you went to will affect how many people are there....

plus - depending on where you live, logistically uws may be closer - eg i live out blacktown/seven hils way - takes me 20 to drive to uni, an hour by train n bus.. but if i was at a city uni i'd be spending hours each day on public transport which would stop me from being able to get a job and have a life lol

eg - if you were at parra campus in say... the 1st few weeks of the year it would be absolutely packed! but if you went later in the year, its much less full as people often change to night classes and then there's the usual people who drop out of uni at census date coz they're toos tingy to pay lol

and ps - i know i'm just bein picky but it's annoying me - you said "have you ever went to a UWS campus" - you can't have "went to" something... you would've "been to" it

if you're not keen on your non law course its likely you'll end up hating the whole course as a result since it takes up a significant amount of your time...

uts is a good uni for law but yeah - if you don't wanna be doing business or arts or whatever else they offer that's a pretty good reason not to go there..

regarding scholarships - yes plenty of people will tell you that it isn't necessarily a reason to go to a uni - and yes - that woudl be the case if you hasn't considered uws before, but from the sounds of it you did so its not as if it is your sole reason...

believe me - i'm on two scholarships at uws and yes - with 98.8 you will get a scholarship - i got 98+ too and they were surprised i didn't want to go to uts so they gave us guaranteed admission early lol which was nice - but the $50k i''ll gte over the duration of my course is an unbelievable advantage!

you don't need to work during semester which means you can concentrate on yoru work more, however if you were having to work it may stuff up your timetable and mean you don't do as well academically as you'd like...

i mean - i was in your exact position and picked UWS hands down so course i'm gonna be biased.. btu i guess what i'm getting at is - don't base your decision on employee perception of the uni - i'm at uws and have beaten out city uni students to jobs so its not as if your'e never going to get a job like some people make out - if you're a good student,. and since you got a high UAI i'm assuming you are, you're likely to succeed at the course so that will mean you'll be successful in getting ajob in the end - not just coz of the uni you're at coz if you get low marks no one will care what uni you're at.

just curious - what scholarships did you apply for?

EDIT - PS - UWS guaranteed internal transfer is a massive!!! benefit coz if you end up hating criminology if you get a credit average, which isn't really hard to do, you can swap into something else after 1st year rather than having to change uni and start all over again.

And, i'm not sure about UTS so this may be irrelevant, but i know some unis spread out the non-law degree over 4 or 5 years as well but UWS you grad from the non-law degree in 3rd year so your chances at getting a job are likely to increase as you'll have a completed degree unlike students at unis who spread the course out, plus - if you find out you hate law, you can just stop at 3rd year - in which case you'll have the non-law degree plus a numebr of law units under your belt which are bound to be advantageous in job searches"

Last edited by a moderator:

Benny1103

HSC
N/A
LaraB said:
the 'you' i was referring to was non-uws students... the context of the post clearly infers that
What's your point? I am a non-uws student. The fact that I'm not a uws student is clear not only from the context of my previous post, but also the content - it was made explicit.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Benny1103 said:
Quite clearly, the logical interpretation of Seraphim's post is basically that there was no point in mentioning that some other person had honours. It doesn't make that person anymore of a threat just because he/she had honours.
Let me clarify:

1. A fellow competitor with Comp Sci Honours isn't much competition because there isn't that much demand for comp sci honours so it's easy to enter (standards aren't as high compared to other honours degrees). Thus, Honours means shit if ppl doing it are mediocre at best.

2. When applying for a job like a programmer, practical skills in coding are your greatest asset. Hence, the employer would generally favour work experience over a theoretical comp sci honours project.

Aside, in general UWS clearly lags behind the Go8 unis in teaching, research and scholarship. For this one success story, there probably are thousands of untold stories of failure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)