I finally drove an SUV... ask me a question. (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I thought it's been a while since I did one of these threads.

It was a white BMW X6M. Had it for a week and drove it around both highway and city areas in Singapore/Malaysia. Got it up to decent speed as well.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
I've had a Tiida for the past week and a bit. Yay. :(

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
At least the name is funky :) Isn't that the one with drum brakes?
Yeah I think they do have those lol iirc.

And they feel so high that its like its going to start to fly when you get to high speeds XD.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I have a question.

Compared to a station wagon (if you have driven one), how much more rigid does it feel to drive?

Does it feel like it is easier to flip than a station wagon too?

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
my cousins got one... they are fucking shit!!!!
Lol.

Its like a pulsar, but the granny version.
Agree with both comments here. Lots of my mates have these and I can't understand why. I had the car a total of 2 weeks and in that whole time I came up with a total of 2 thinks that I liked about the car and they weren't particularly ground breaking. I liked that the driver's side window had an auto-up feature and that the door automatically unlocked when you pulled on the handle. Literally everything else was either mediocre or crap. Hateful little shitbox that was.

At least the name is funky :) Isn't that the one with drum brakes?
Surprisingly it had discs all round though I'd doubt that fact did anything improve it's performance :p

Yeah I think they do have those lol iirc.

And they feel so high that its like its going to start to fly when you get to high speeds XD.
Discs, but the driver's seat is so high up you feel like you're perched on a toilet seat. Not that there was much difference in that regard...

So glad the Liberty is back from the panel beaters!

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Agree with both comments here. Lots of my mates have these and I can't understand why. I had the car a total of 2 weeks and in that whole time I came up with a total of 2 thinks that I liked about the car and they weren't particularly ground breaking. I liked that the driver's side window had an auto-up feature and that the door automatically unlocked when you pulled on the handle. Literally everything else was either mediocre or crap. Hateful little shitbox that was.

Discs, but the driver's seat is so high up you feel like you're perched on a toilet seat. Not that there was much difference in that regard...

So glad the Liberty is back from the panel beaters!
Lol. You really hated that experience. Its not as bad as I thought it would be or as bad as you made it out to be lol. Grandparents need there fair share of fun.

Yeah that's what I mean by so high up. And when you drive it, any sideways acceleration and you'll think you are at Luna Park.

Boxer lyf is best lyf.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I have a question.

Compared to a station wagon (if you have driven one), how much more rigid does it feel to drive?

Does it feel like it is easier to flip than a station wagon too?
Station wagon feels just like a normal car but longer. That being said, I don't even remember which station wagon I drove. The SUV I drove was also a bit more sports-oriented than the typical SUV given it had electronic dampers/stiffer suspension :) I'll put it this way, it was surprisingly agile at 140km/h on the highway when weaving in and out of traffic; but the brakes didn't feel too good at stopping something that big/heavy.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Station wagon feels just like a normal car but longer. That being said, I don't even remember which station wagon I drove. The SUV I drove was also a bit more sports-oriented than the typical SUV given it had electronic dampers/stiffer suspension :) I'll put it this way, it was surprisingly agile at 140km/h on the highway when weaving in and out of traffic; but the brakes didn't feel too good at stopping something that big/heavy.
Hmm.

I once saw a volvo X40 swing across a little at 100km/hr along a curve which the car I was in (a much lower AWD) did in a breeze at 110km/hr without any swerve.

I'm used to using brakes which go deep in before slowing down the car (brand new pads and discs too). So it might just be the fact that you need to push the brakes further down before they slow it down.

Going around a corner in a station wagon at a speed a little over makes it feel like the tail swings out (AWD one too).

You should see my turning circles in parking lots as well at low speeds in a station wagon. I go so wide that a tiny hatchback does the same turn from the centre, whereas I'm on the furthest side away from the turn.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
The X6M has a horrible turning circle. Had to do a three pointer at a U-turn bay on Orchard Rd!

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm used to using brakes which go deep in before slowing down the car (brand new pads and discs too). So it might just be the fact that you need to push the brakes further down before they slow it down.
Have you tried bleeding the brakes and replacing the fluids?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Have you tried bleeding the brakes and replacing the fluids?
It could be the fluids, but I haven't tried bleeding the brakes.

But still if I push down all the way (which is not too difficult) then it does brake a lot. I tried doing a slam once in an open area with no other cars/vehicles and it stopped from 20km/hr to zero practically instantly (I'd say less than half a second), but no skidding.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
It could be the fluids, but I haven't tried bleeding the brakes.

But still if I push down all the way (which is not too difficult) then it does brake a lot. I tried doing a slam once in an open area with no other cars/vehicles and it stopped from 20km/hr to zero practically instantly (I'd say less than half a second), but no skidding.
I recommend replacing brake fluid completely then and seeing if it helps. If it does then success and if it doesn't then new fluids are only a good thing.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I recommend replacing brake fluid completely then and seeing if it helps. If it does then success and if it doesn't then new fluids are only a good thing.
True. Might do it sometime soon (I'm fine with it at the moment).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)