HSCers! What were YOU actually doing during Prelims? (1 Viewer)

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
I studied pretty hard, for maths. I had a pretty hardcore attitude going into yr 11 with the whole final 2 years thing and what not, but i realised it was kinda useless halfway through term 2.
Exactly.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Im in prelim.. and I am freaking out!

At first I was thinking it was waaaaaaay easy. Then I was reasurred futher by my principal. Now they ironically are calling it very difficult and how important prelim is..
so i dont know what to think anymore. I just dont want to fall behind...
Keep going at it. :)

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
Only studied the day or two before a test. Don't regret it one bit.

hscishard

HSC
It's the end of term 1 right...? If so, then you were in my position last year. I worked kind of hard in term 1 but after that, I realised how useless it was. All I did was read my textbook in class and that was it. Not for maths however, I studied pretty hard (well learnt maths) but it was hsc(maths + ext1) and not prelim

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
It's the end of term 1 right...? If so, then you were in my position last year. I worked kind of hard in term 1 but after that, I realised how useless it was. All I did was read my textbook in class and that was it. Not for maths however, I studied pretty hard (well learnt maths) but it was hsc(maths + ext1) and not prelim
Exactly what i'm doing. Why was it useless?

jamesfirst

HSC
I fully tried when I first started prelim... but just started playing games and went off track...

x_cp3

HSC
Had the attitude of going hard out in the last 2 years of school.. but saw no one get serious so i joined the crew.

hscishard

HSC
Exactly what i'm doing. Why was it useless?
Continue, it'll lessen the load on maths in your hsc year by A LOT.
Prelim:
-doesn't count towards anything
-Other than maths and some other subs that I don't do, you don't need to be strong in the prelim topics for the hsc. It may help but this has a very small effect on your internals and probably externals IMO
-hsc is more on the hsc, not prelim
Therefore it's better to use your 3 terms to prepare for the hsc than studying hard for prelim i.e.(maths stuff, essays, organisation, study skills) If you self teach your hsc(like what I'm doing) you will need to develop self teaching skills!!

This is my opinion

Last edited:

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Continue, it'll lessen the load on maths in your hsc year by A LOT.
Prelim:
-doesn't count towards anything
-Other than maths and some other subs that I don't do, you don't need to be strong in the prelim topics for the hsc. It may help but this has a very small effect on your internals and probably externals IMO
-hsc is more on the hsc, not prelim
Therefore it's better to use your 3 terms to prepare for the hsc than studying hard for prelim

This is my opinion
What about developing essay writing skills? I would imagine there would be some skills and knowledge in Preliminary Chemistry that you would need in HSC. IPT would be the same I imagine.

hscishard

HSC
I'm not saying to totally neglect the year 11 stuff. I'm saying that you shouldn't very hard on it, like what you've been doing for the past term
Yes, you will need to develop essay writing skills, you will need to know some stuff in chem and ipt(haha IPT...). Just don't study that hard, 1hr/day is more than fine IMO. Though make sure you do work on essay skills. I should add that to my previous post

jnney

lemon
HSC
well im in prelims, and im studying pretty hard. i mean, it's a good habit to develop right - not straying off track and getting disturbed and what not. it's different for everyone, but for me, i have the set mind that if i put in effort and do well this year, i'll be doing a lot better next year, because i've been through the hard times, know what to stress over and what not, how to deal with it, etc. etc. most things won't be new to me. :)

and as for 3u maths. ...i dont believe you should slack off at all. that is, unless you want to fail.

Kanane

HSC
N/A
No regrets for Preliminary. I did the bare minimum that was required and was, still am, content with what I achieved. Just make sure you don't fall behind your cohort.

But one disadvantage for me personally is that I still haven't developed a study schedule/pattern and am finding it hard to immerse myself into studying etc. (Still not feeling much regret though)

Gigacube

HSC
What about developing essay writing skills? I would imagine there would be some skills and knowledge in Preliminary Chemistry that you would need in HSC. IPT would be the same I imagine.
So long as you understand each of the information processes and you can identify participants, users and the environment in a system then you'll be fine. Try to get your hands on a Sam Davis textbook as it does help a lot compared to the excel one.

hscishard

HSC
So long as you understand each of the information processes and you can identify participants, users and the environment in a system then you'll be fine. Try to get your hands on a Sam Davis textbook as it does help a lot compared to the excel one.
hey, are you finding IPT being mostly skills?
That's almost all i've been doing in IPT so far...

norez

HSC
A repost:

the prelim is bullshit. Don't burn yourself out! Don't stress about year 11. I remember starting year 11 and hearing all of the year 12's saying that it isn't important and that I should just bludge this year- and I remember thinking that they were idiots and that I wanted to suceed- so their advice seemed silly to me.

But in all honesty, they were right. What you should be doing, is taking things easy and try to develop an understanding of what you will need to do in the HSC. Basically a practice run. Understand the time and effort that different things require- assessments, study, parties. Try to develop the skills that you'll need. Just calmly follow the content you learn, but spend your time trying different techniques until you find what works for you. Then you'll be set.

And one more thing-

In the prelim, I tended to make a big deal about the HSC. How should I go about doing it? Trying to discover a 'secret', or an 'edge'. Like how I could compete with my fellow students. I romaticised it and made it a big elaborate thing (as a consequence, i didn't actually do much- too much thought -_- )

But the truth is very different. The HSC is simply doing the work you are given. Do homework. Read textbook. Summarise textbook. Understand. Ask questions. Submit draft to teacher. Do more questions. Ask more questions. Do HSC. Own HSC.

Get the gist? Just do the work. All of that elaborate stuff on time management is just helping you to find time to do all of this. The HSC is a very personal thing- it's all about doing and achieving your own goals. It isn't about competing to the person that is first, for example. It's important to better yourself- rather than mapping your achievements based on other people.

Yeah, prelim is a time to work on SKILLS rather than content. What problems are you facing though?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
well im in prelims, and im studying pretty hard. i mean, it's a good habit to develop right - not straying off track and getting disturbed and what not. it's different for everyone, but for me, i have the set mind that if i put in effort and do well this year, i'll be doing a lot better next year, because i've been through the hard times, know what to stress over and what not, how to deal with it, etc. etc. most things won't be new to me. :)

and as for 3u maths. ...i dont believe you should slack off at all. that is, unless you want to fail.
I personally finished it, I just listen to teacher and beg her for work.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
A repost:

the prelim is bullshit. Don't burn yourself out! Don't stress about year 11. I remember starting year 11 and hearing all of the year 12's saying that it isn't important and that I should just bludge this year- and I remember thinking that they were idiots and that I wanted to suceed- so their advice seemed silly to me.

But in all honesty, they were right. What you should be doing, is taking things easy and try to develop an understanding of what you will need to do in the HSC. Basically a practice run. Understand the time and effort that different things require- assessments, study, parties. Try to develop the skills that you'll need. Just calmly follow the content you learn, but spend your time trying different techniques until you find what works for you. Then you'll be set.

And one more thing-

In the prelim, I tended to make a big deal about the HSC. How should I go about doing it? Trying to discover a 'secret', or an 'edge'. Like how I could compete with my fellow students. I romaticised it and made it a big elaborate thing (as a consequence, i didn't actually do much- too much thought -_- )

But the truth is very different. The HSC is simply doing the work you are given. Do homework. Read textbook. Summarise textbook. Understand. Ask questions. Submit draft to teacher. Do more questions. Ask more questions. Do HSC. Own HSC.

Get the gist? Just do the work. All of that elaborate stuff on time management is just helping you to find time to do all of this. The HSC is a very personal thing- it's all about doing and achieving your own goals. It isn't about competing to the person that is first, for example. It's important to better yourself- rather than mapping your achievements based on other people.

Yeah, prelim is a time to work on SKILLS rather than content. What problems are you facing though?
No problems at all, Preliminary content is way to easy. I just wanted to see who worked and whole didn't. Thanks for your helpfulness.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
No regrets for Preliminary. I did the bare minimum that was required and was, still am, content with what I achieved. Just make sure you don't fall behind your cohort.

But one disadvantage for me personally is that I still haven't developed a study schedule/pattern and am finding it hard to immerse myself into studying etc. (Still not feeling much regret though)
^this. Did assignments, homework i guess and that was about it.

Gigacube

HSC
hey, are you finding IPT being mostly skills?
That's almost all i've been doing in IPT so far...
Prelim is like that. HSC you actually learn the content. You'll probably do a major project to cover the first topic and then you learn about databases and communication systems plus 2 options which are usually multimedia (it's the easiest to learn) and TPS.

norez

HSC
DON'T NEGLECT MATHEMATICS!

Honestly, we had a really poor teacher in the Prelims. Everyone in the class relied on the teacher, while I went off and learnt all of the content by myself. And I continue to review. Whilst everyone is struggling to remember their Prelim stuff in preparation for the half yearly, I have the time to focus on other things. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)