HSC Units problem (1 Viewer)

Muser

HSC
Okay, in a bit of a dilemma in regards to subject choice for the HSC.

I currently do:

Advanced English
General Maths
2 Unit SOR
Ancient History
Visual Arts
Italian Continuers

I hate Italian, and I've flunked every assessment this year. I never intended on doing it in the first place, and I've had a really bad year with it. I only ever did it with the intention of dropping it anyway.

I am determined to drop Italian, and I refuse to do it for the HSC, it will fuck up my UAI badly. Not that I plan on doing a uni course with a high UAI, I'm looking at art schools, and maybe arts at Sydney uni which has something like 86.

Anyway either way I'm going to have to negotiate with my teachers/principal. I'm pretty sure they'd prefer me to do extension, but I've heard its tough, and to my current knowledge I haven't got an 80% average like my teacher said we should have if we want to pick it up.

I know what kind of work I'd have to do for the course, and I think I'd enjoy it. I like philosophy and context based studies, and can write fairly well. I also enjoy reading and can persevere through tedious material that we may be required to read.

My school is usually in the top 15 for rankings, so I don't think I have to worry about my school bringing down the average ( and I do know that this doesn't have everything to do with it), but I'm still worried that if I do 10 units that I won't get my desired UAI considering that I'm not doing any high scaling subjects.

So here's my question:

What should I do?

*Baby-K*

HSC
I don't think your teacher can stop you from doing extension even if you don't have the 80%. I do French Extension and I didn't have 80%, further I do better in Extension than I do in continuers :cool: If you fail Italian why keep it?

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
*Baby-K* said:
I don't think your teacher can stop you from doing extension even if you don't have the 80%. I do French Extension and I didn't have 80%, further I do better in Extension than I do in continuers :cool: If you fail Italian why keep it?
well in our school, they can stop you from doing eng ext and maths ext if u dont make the cut off

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
*Baby-K* said:
I'm not sure, but I think you may be wrong. The school can stop you from doing Extension subjects, if they deem that you're not doing very well at it.

And Tim - there is no cutoff for Maths Extension 1. They encourage everyone to do it. But there is a cut off of 120 for MX2, and a cut off of 72 for EX1.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Timothy.Siu said:
well in our school, they can stop you from doing eng ext and maths ext if u dont make the cut off
Try to push them and watch them fold.

They can't stop you - they are advising against it but if you really want to do it and go to the BOS the BOS will tell the school that you have to be allowed to do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)