HSC students' maths paper 'cruel and difficult' (SMH) (1 Viewer)

2011_

HSC
Re: Lol people from bos mentioned in smh article

All I'm going to say is look at Facebook - And learn from the mistakes of other on it.

Don't want something recorded? Don't post it. Simple rule.
Well I guess I knew they could use it but I thought they would notify you or ask if you minded.
I have this saying about Facebook, "It's not Facebook that's the problem, but the idiots who use it" - meaning I can't understand people posting embarassing photos or posts and then wondering why their boss saw it, or their Mum.

Wentworth

HSC
LOL! it actually says 'taeyang posted..." hahahah, makes it sound like the actual kpop idol did 3unit maths this year ^^

mirakon

nigga
HSC
meaning it's more work required for the 1 mark, since no errors can be made. :(
However, the marks will most likely be aligned accordingly. If they aren't, it means that a fair few people didn't find it as difficult as others claim. We'll just have to wait and see.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
LOL! it actually says 'taeyang posted..." hahahah, makes it sound like the actual kpop idol did 3unit maths this year ^^
this has already been mentioned once here and once in another thread lol.

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I was referring to the fact that bob said they probs put in the probability to scare the general public.

I'm sure the binomials qn would have done a great job :p

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Lol people from bos mentioned in smh article

Well I guess I knew they could use it but I thought they would notify you or ask if you minded.
I have this saying about Facebook, "It's not Facebook that's the problem, but the idiots who use it" - meaning I can't understand people posting embarassing photos or posts and then wondering why their boss saw it, or their Mum.
I agree with you, hence I have hardly anything on there, just a medium to keep in touch if needed.

Implying

HSC
to be fair to the BOS, i think people who were aiming for state ranks for mx1 from the start of the year would love that paper bcuz it tested everything in depth.
>tested everything in depth
Not really. I was aiming for state rank and was disappointed at the lack of projectile motion in particular. There were other things that were left out as well, imo.
Still, i reckon i got 80ish so that's not too bad. Probably too low for state rank ;_;

Nympha

HSC
That article is a load of rubbish. Another piece of bullcrap space filler and shit stirrer.
Of course she only quoted people whining about it - but I don't think there will ever be a HSC exam that SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE isn't complaining about.
And whilst I do agree that papers should perhaps not be made so challenging to encourage people to take up the subject, it's ridiculous to label the paper as "cruel". It wasn't particularly challenging in terms of hard questions - it was just long.
Anyway I'm done with my rant. Bloody SHM becoming more and more like the Daily Telegraph...

Implying

HSC
Sample question
A game is played by throwing darts at a target. A player can choose to throw two or three darts.
Darcy plays two games. In Game 1, he chooses to throw two darts, and wins if he hits the target at least once. In Game 2, he chooses to throw three darts, and wins if he hits the target at least twice.
The probability that Darcy hits the target on any throw is p, where 0 < p < 1.
(i) Show that the probability that Darcy wins Game 1 is 2p - p[squared].
(ii) Show that the probaility that Darcy wins Game 2 is 3p[squared] - 2p[cubed].
(iii) Prove that Darcy is more likely to win Game 1 than Game 2.
(iv) Find the value of p for which Darcy is twice as likely to wine Game 1 as he is to win Game 2.

haha, they're trying to scare the public by a scary looking problem, but infact, i thought it was the easiest haha xD
lol
yeah it wasn't too hard once you figure out what to do, but imo 90+% of people wouldn't think of using ratios for the last 2 bits

mirakon

nigga
HSC
That article is a load of rubbish. Another piece of bullcrap space filler and shit stirrer.
Of course she only quoted people whining about it - but I don't think there will ever be a HSC exam that SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE isn't complaining about.
And whilst I do agree that papers should perhaps not be made so challenging to encourage people to take up the subject, it's ridiculous to label the paper as "cruel". It wasn't particularly challenging in terms of hard questions - it was just long.
Anyway I'm done with my rant. Bloody SHM becoming more and more like the Daily Telegraph...
This. Except for the SMH beecoming like the Daily Telegraph part, the SMH will always be a superior paper :p

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
At the end of the day it doesn't matter. Marks will be allocated accordingly and all subjects will be scaled to their respective benchmarks, therefore you get what you deserve, sure some people might get lucky by only studying the dot points tested in the syllabus, but that's life, sometimes you're lucky and sometimes you're not. Move on, don't dwell on it. Persistence leads to success.

Last edited:

Top Indoe Bloke

HSC
i dunno what all the kerfuffle is about... it was easy peasy and i finished it with 20 minutes to spare

Nympha

HSC
This. Except for the SMH beecoming like the Daily Telegraph part, the SMH will always be a superior paper :p
Not if this is the kind of gimmicky, let's-rant-at-the-authorities/government piece of crap they keep spilling out. :p

Wentworth

HSC
Seemed pretty difficult during exam time, but in retrospect all the questions were doable... except maybe the very last one, that could take some thought. I think it's just BOS screwing around with the question order and putting in all these diagrams that did it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)