HSC Extension 2 Mathematics Predictions / Thoughts (1 Viewer)

Xanthi

HSC
83 just scrape a 90 or could i get a 92+
It all depends on the nesa judges on each question. But I reckon roughly counting there are 9 marks that would be difficult for a student at the borderline between bands to complete + 1 miscellaneous question + 4 careless mistakes, so I'd say the most likely outcome is an 83 alignment to a 90 mark although it is possible for it to be a little higher.

MrGresh

HSC
It all depends on the nesa judges on each question. But I reckon roughly counting there are 9 marks that would be difficult for a student at the borderline between bands to complete + 1 miscellaneous question + 4 careless mistakes, so I'd say the most likely outcome is an 83 alignment to a 90 mark although it is possible for it to be a little higher.
I had a chat to my tutor last night and he said this exact discussion happens every year for 4u.

He has read the exam and says it's likely high 70s cutoff.

Apparently everyone always thinks it's easy lol

Xanthi

HSC
I had a chat to my tutor last night and he said this exact discussion happens every year for 4u.

He has read the exam and says it's likely high 70s cutoff.

Apparently everyone always thinks it's easy lol
I was actually thinking the exact same thing, so I briefly read the 2017-19 post-exam discussions before providing these estimates. What you say is true to some extent, but there is a definitely a difference between this and past years among the perception on this site and elsewhere.

[Edit: Perhaps the perception that the exams are always easy is due to the fact that the exams did in fact get easier in the past 10-20 years. But there is probably a psychological component, as you note.]

I don't want to make you feel disappointed though, and I'm not saying that it will definitely be 83, when there is a very real chance that a 79 (maybe 78) will actually align to a 90. I just didn't think it was the most likely outcome, but that it was certainly possible on a good day, and the 79 was acknowledged as a possibility on my original graph.

But I suppose the best thing to say now is just good luck for today's exam! Let's do well :)

Last edited:

aborshon87

HSC
Here is a potential aligning chart for this year, since there seems to quite some interest.

Each line is self-consistent, that is, if one point is correct, the others should be as well.

The central line represents a reasonable estimate for this year, but it of course could be wrong by a little or a lot.

The blue shaded area represents relatively "higher" aligning, while the green shaded represents relatively "lower" aligning which could be considered like an uncertainty zone.

View attachment 29289

Edits: These are just estimates by considering past aligning, specifically 2017 where the cut-off for band 6 was 76. The (potentially) more important thing here is that the lines are self-consistent as explained above, so feel free to choose a band 6 cutoff as you think is realistic and extrapolate to other points.
Why is it that 83 and 84 have the same alignment although being different raw marks?

Xanthi

HSC
Why is it that 83 and 84 have the same alignment although being different raw marks?
Marks are only to the nearest integer, there is no way to align up and have distinct aligned marks for each raw

MrGresh

HSC
I was actually thinking the exact same thing, so I briefly read the 2017-19 post-exam discussions before providing these estimates. What you say is true to some extent, but there is a definitely a difference between this and past years among the perception on this site and elsewhere.

[Edit: Perhaps the perception that the exams are always easy is due to the fact that the exams did in fact get easier in the past 10-20 years. But there is probably a psychological component, as you note.]

I don't want to make you feel disappointed though, and I'm not saying that it will definitely be 83, when there is a very real chance that a 79 (maybe 78) will actually align to a 90. I just didn't think it was the most likely outcome, but that it was certainly possible on a good day, and the 79 was acknowledged as a possibility on my original graph.

But I suppose the best thing to say now is just good luck for today's exam! Let's do well :)
Yeah nah I hear you, but he did look through the paper and thought it was not unreasonably easy. And I think he know better than all of us haha, he has tutored 4u for like 5 years now and is like scarily good at maths lol

But yeah who knows what the outcome will be. At least 3u was not a joke and I did well :)

EDIT: I feel a responsibility to point out this is the 420th post

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Think NESA is running out of questions to ask. Question 14 a is exactly the same as Question 16 b(i) from the 2016 HSC...

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Think NESA is running out of questions to ask. Question 14 a is exactly the same as Question 16 b(i) from the 2016 HSC...
Fun fact - For Maths Ext1 the very first question in the 2005 and 2006 HSC papers were basically identical but worth different marks (1 mark in 2005 and 2 marks in 2006)

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Fun fact - For Maths Ext1 the very first question in the 2005 and 2006 HSC papers were basically identical but worth different marks (1 mark in 2005 and 2 marks in 2006)
Haha wtf. When you switch x^2 + 49 to 49 + x^2 thinking it's a difference......

Xanthi

HSC
It's not that remarkable, similar things could be said about other questions. Most q11-14 questions aren't completely original as they depend on the textbook style approaches.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
It's not that remarkable, similar things could be said about other questions. Most q11-14 questions aren't completely original as they depend on the textbook style approaches.
Even q16 was pretty identical to many questions asked before in trials. It's always something unique!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)