HSC english - recomended mark for law? (1 Viewer)

michaeln36

HSC
Hey,

What is the minimum recomended advanced english mark to be able to do a law degree without experiencing difficulty?

Thanks

X

xeuyrawp

There have been several threads on this, already.

The concensus was that

- there can, objectively, be no exact mark. Someone who got 100 in English might have less practical understanding of it than someone who got 80 in it. It just depends.
- law still requires not only 1. the ability to read a lot and still stay motivated and 2. the ability to understand complex arguments.

It's really something you'd need to know yourself, but it really comes down to this question -- 'if you'd like to try law, why not?'

michaeln36

HSC
i didn;t ask for an exact mark

and i know that a mark is not the exact representation of your english skill,

but GENERALLY what would a minimum mark expected to be, to be able to complete law without suffering difficulties.

generally...
70?
80?
90?
ballpark figure here folks --- please

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
I've noticed that those who did 4 unit english, generally, have it a bit easier.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
michaeln36 said:
Hey,

What is the minimum recomended advanced english mark to be able to do a law degree without experiencing difficulty?

Thanks
Advanced English is not a particularly good indication. People can score very highly and still be average at English (or vice versa).

Some more pertinent questions with regard to language ability might be:
  • Are you a good reader?
  • Are you adept at writing?
  • How good do you think you are at English?
  • How well do you comprehend complex materials/texts?
  • Did you undertake Extension 1 English?
  • Did you undertake Extension 2 English?
  • Are you good at debating and arguing?
  • How well do you communicate ideas through language - both verbally, and in writing?

L

LaraB

MoonlightSonata said:
Advanced English is not a particularly good indication. People can score very highly and still be average at English (or vice versa).

Some more pertinent questions with regard to language ability might be:
  • Are you a good reader?
  • Are you adept at writing?
  • How good do you think you are at English?
  • How well do you comprehend complex materials/texts?
  • Did you undertake Extension 1 English?
  • Did you undertake Extension 2 English?
  • Are you good at debating and arguing?
  • How well do you communicate ideas through language - both verbally, and in writing?
if you're wondering how you can guage these things -

have a look at your assessments and the like when you get your marks and see what areas you do the best/worst in and what areas you find easier/harder/more/less enjoyable...

still not a very good way to 'measure' this but it's probably the most objective method there is...

EDIT - by "areas" i mean like, comprehension skills, effective use of language, understanding of literary techniques etc - have a look on the syllabus under teh outcomes for each module/unit and it'll give you a guide

if you don't trust marks which is fair enough coz they don't always indicate your ablity:) maybe talk to some of your teachers and ask them what they think your strengths and weaknesses are....

still - as i said - not a fab way to measure this, but probably the best objective one there is:)

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
I wouldn't get too put off by the English skill requirement though. One's language capability can vary immensely throughout short periods of time. For example, a year ago, I was good at English. Now I just feel like a clueless fob. :eek:

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
If you don't already, start debating. Now. Debating is a good way to acquire skills in language manipulation, argumentation, public speaking, thinking under pressure and crafting arguments in limited time periods. These skills will improve your performance in English generally - especially in exams - and they transfer well to the seminar/participatory nature of most law calsses.

You should also be prepared to read, and read, and read, and read. This does not mean you need to enjoy reading (only a true masochist would find trawling through the more lengthy judgements of Dawson J in Fed Con joyous) but you must be prepared to read at length on subjects that may very well bore you to the point of tears. :)

Last edited:

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
ManlyChief said:
This does not mean you need to enjoy reading (only a true sadist would find trawling through the more lengthy judgements of Dawson J in Fed Con joyous) but you must be prepared to read at length on subjects that may very well bore you to the point of tears. :)
Mmm Fedcon, it hurts so good! I nearly broke down after reading some Fedcon study guides :p

santaslayer

HSC
michaeln36 said:
i didn;t ask for an exact mark

and i know that a mark is not the exact representation of your english skill,

but GENERALLY what would a minimum mark expected to be, to be able to complete law without suffering difficulties.

generally...
70?
80?
90?
ballpark figure here folks --- please
There is NO expectation. You seem to understand that there are no exact figures and that the figures aren't an exact interpretation of you English ability. But you still want 'ballpark' figures?

I say 30's.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
if you are literate, have a reading age around, say 15, then that's good enough.

volition

arr.
HSC
Yeah, I think to get into law at Notre Dame, they recommended a minimum of band 6 in english, but I know they took a guy who didn't get it. HSC english might not be the best indicator of ability though so I dunno

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I remember considering UND. They ask for a lot in terms of admission, I remember they wanted UAI predictions, recommendations from teachers, school reports etc and about a 92 uai for law I think. I also remember they allowed personal statements and info about work experience thats why I was considering applying.

I thought I read that most uni have Eng (adv) as ASSUMED knowledge but I also remember being told they expect you to take the highest level of English you can handle.

I don't really think you should worry too much about English marks, as many have said HSC english isn't the best judge of your skills, especially when we all know that one can memorise a generic essay and manipulate the question. I found English fun and easy until HSC. I may not have enjoyed it mainly because my school marked so hard, my 77assessment mark became an 87 in the HSC. I hope I'll be right studying law after the blows to my confidence in English in the past two years. But imo as long as you are able to read, comprend and speak well enough then you should be fine.

If spelling is important I might as well quit now :(

Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
erawamai said:
Reading for law is a skill that is learnt through practice. I remember that reading my first cases in first year were not so easy. However you get used to the style of expression used by judges and eventually reading cases becomes second nature.
lol like reading Shakespeare?

I've read through one or two judgements for legal assignments and mock trial so at least I know what to expect, although I do remember having to re-read some parts slowly so that I could comprehend it completely. Its not like those nice little summaries in the Legal Studies textbook

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)