HSC Advice Line (1 Viewer)

samuel slack

HSC
Okay. I'm ringing tonight. I'm going to ask them about my theses for my english papers, and whether they sound okay. See how I go.

HSC
^emmie^ said:
what so u just say what text u do n they start telling u stuff about it or u ask them a question first n then they just start rambling on about stuff we need to know
Yeah, you need to ask them a question first. :uhhuh:

Originality

HSC
i asked them questions, they answered until i ran out of questions.
So they didnt ramble.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
The HSC Advice Line is very good and worth it.
Here's what I got so far.

English (Standard) and English (Advanced) Paper 1 - Area of Study

• How students lose marks in Section I? They don't answer the question or simply describe when they are supposed to analyse.
  • Remember the formula: Journeys = Technique + Quote + Effect
    If your analysis lacks any of these elements the journey that the textual was supposed to depict wouldn't seem to be one !
  • In Section II, students tend to write unrealistic stories such as climbing Mount Everest or being pregnant which seems
    childish.
    Try to write something more realistic, something as simple as describing a real journey YOU have embarked on.
    Effective language techniques amplify the characteristics of the journey and provides atmosphere.

Play, Away by Michael Gow Exclusive -

• "Unburden'd crawl toward death" signifies King Lear's acceptance of his fate, which is death.
    This statement relates to Tom
    who is suffering from a life-threatening condition that is lukaemia (blood cancer) which he has learnt to accept.

Mathematics

• When sketching a curve, the bigger the better! Obviously you won't get much accuracy from a post-stamp sized graph.
  • My quotient rule (v.du/dx - u.dv/dx)/v2 is accepted along vu'-uv'/v2, yay !
  • If your answer in an exponential growth and decay question e.g about growth of mice population is P = 291.753285972839 ... mice, round your answer to 291 if it specifies complete mice.
  • Why are Questions 9 & 10 soooo hard ? "Hehehehe we like to be cruel !", says the HSC marker. The purpose of this is to keep the results nicely distributed say some 60s and so on. They don't want too much 90s and 100s.
  • When drawing diagrams such as parallelograms, trapeziums and other polygons and geometrical diagrams, it is recommended you use a ruler but most importantly a parallelogram must still look like a parallelogram to anyone. A 700 angle must not look like an obtuse angle.
  • Tn = a + ( n - 1 ) d is the same as Tn = a + d ( n - 1 ) (Captain Obvious please)
  • When conducting multipstep calculations, write a rounded answer on the page but keep and use the full calculator display e.g BC2 = 29.1 but on calculator if you had 29.143976254 ... BC should be 5.395516116 then BC = 5.4
  • You can write only the answer for a 1 mark question however if you get it wrong you don't receive a mark. Correct working but a wrong answer e.g. because you used the wrong button will still earn you a mark, you would have shown the marker you knew how to answer the question anyway.
  • Rather than use e.g. k = -0.2682396521 ... use k = ln (1/5) / 6 or k = loge (1/5) / 6 throughout your working.
  • Indicate your endpoint with a dot when you sketch a curve e.g mark a dot on the coordinate (2π,0) on sin x where 0<=x<=2π
  • Number lines are not needed unless specifically asked
  • θ in l = rθ and A=0.5r2θ are always in radians. Use 360/2π or 180/π if degrees is needed.

Information Processes and Technology

• OH&S (Occupational Health and Safety) ties in with Social & Ethical Issues. You do not need to be too specific e.g (Viewing angle of monitor must be 00 - 300 below the horizontal.
  • You will need to recognise simple HTML tags such as
    Code:
    <HTML></HTML> <TITLE></TITLE> <BODY></BODY>
  • Prototypes do require further user input for further improvement. A proposal for them is needed and can even be developed in front of a suer if you have the tools to do so. User-friendliness and efficiency are also important things to consider.
  • The simplest context diagram can be thought as rectangle, arrow, process, arrow then rectangle. You must be able to develop bigger ones that branch out further, even to system flow charts.
  • If you have a reasonable amount of knowledge on SQL you should be able to create an SQL query from given stimulus material.
  • When listing Information technology for use in the implementation of a new system. Current technology is considered to be common-place and in mass production e.g CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, flash disks and even Blu-Ray discs.
    Emerging technologies are not common and have very obscure sources such as solid-state hard drives.
  • Flat-file databases are usually used for recording a simple collection of data such as a CD collection or wine bottles in a wine cellar.
  • Users and participants - I'll use your application for a Learner licence at RTA as an example. The lady sitting in front of the computer is the participant, she is entering your data into the RTA database therefore she is a participant because she is directly interacting with the information system. You would be the user as you are applying for your Learner's licence.
  • Normalisation basically aims to get rid of redundant data. if your name appears more than once in a database it's redundant. You don't want your name appearing here and there, causing errors.
  • You must know your exact transfer rates for transmission media such as twisted pair, coaxial cable and fibre optic.
  • When an information system doesn't meet certain feasibilities it should not be scrapped, a contingency plan can be used to state a little more time would be needed, for example. Nonetheless it must be evaluated to ensure it meets expectations.
  • Print servers queue print tasks and places them in sequence, this is called spooling.
    (The reel of an old movie projector that contains the film is called a spool. Just as frames move in a sequence along the spool, so are print tasks processed in a sequence known as spooling.)
  • A bus network can still function is removed as data can be sent around, whether it was a scanner or a PC.
  • Transaction Processing Systems Exclusive - EFTPOS is considered more a TPS than a communication system.
  • Transaction Processing Systems Exclusive - Avoid UNIVAC as a historical TPS, focus more on manual information systems (non-electronic) such as punch cards (e.g. when workers clocked-on and clocked-off) and old cash registers.
  • Multimedia Exclusive - Know your different formats such as MIDI, WAV, GIF, JPG, DOC, PDF and many more. Why would you use JPG for a high-quality photograph to post on the internet ? Because it supports more colours and and it uses (lossy) compression to reduce the file size of the image.

Physics

• In an orbit with a period of 24 hours, the orbit itself is geosynchronous however the position is geostationary, on Earth it appears to be stationary at a certain height at all times, these are two different meanings.
  • If the question gives two decimal places/significant figures as your value for example round off your FINAL answer at the end with two decimal places/significant figures.
    DO NOT round off your values until you reach your final answer.
  • It is good practice to use pencil for diagrams and a pen to label diagrams. Rulers are handy.
  • Our definition of Lenz's Law is "the effect of induction is opposite to its cause".
    This is accepted as long as it has a negative sign when expressed mathematically.
  • Torque is basically the turning force of an object
  • Vector notation is still necessary e.g diagrams on centripetal force or equations such as F=qvB as variables such as F, v & B are vector quantities. (Can't actually put vector notation due to some limitations)
  • "Big words" otherwise known as keywords are of great importance in your answers.
  • 19th century Physicists had no mathematical way of proving the black Body radiation curve but Planck tried to do this by finding strips of areas under the curve (i.e integrate)
    Planck's constant was a "smart way of doing calculus" and it was a mathematical trick.
    Einstein stated that the energy is quantised but Planck on the other hand didn't like the idea of energy being quantised.
  • Astrophysics Exclusive - You do not need to remember the elements, ions or compounds present in stars of certain spectral classes.

Will add/edit,
English (Standard) and English (Advanced) Paper 1 — Area of Study
English (Standard) Paper 2 — Modules
Chemistry

Originality said:
i asked them questions, they answered until i ran out of questions.
So they didnt ramble.
There was ramblings in different subjects:

Chemistry (he also was a Physics teacher):
The induction coil used in schools relies on a reed switch which operates at high frequencies to stilulate changing magnetic flux since it runs on direct current.

(However usually a changing magnetic flux is needed for mutual induction which Alternating Current primarily provides)

IPT:
When I asked about current and emerging information technologies I didn't expect a discussion about the inferiority of floppy disks :).

Last edited:

Originality

HSC
Forbidden. said:
The HSC Advice Line is very good and worth it.

Will add/edit,
English (Standard) and English (Advanced) Paper 1 — Area of Study
English (Standard) Paper 2 — Modules
Chemistry

There was ramblings in different subjects:

Chemistry (he also was a Physics teacher):
The induction coil used in schools relies on a reed switch which operates at high frequencies to stilulate changing magnetic flux since it runs on direct current.

(However usually a changing magnetic flux is needed for mutual induction which Alternating Current primarily provides)
i shall try it for other subjects and need for questions to launch into rambling/discussion.
Wat part of chemistry are u talking abt? is it the core topic or options? cause i havent heard of that. or is it chem+physics?

sidra

PEACE !
HSC
The HSC Advice Line is my new maths tutor.

Really.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)