HSC 2016 MX2 Marathon ADVANCED (archive) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
Re: HSC 2016 4U Marathon - Advanced Level

Err, no. Although I am not sure if you are just joking by talking about infiniti-eth ratios.
Well we can formalise it by using limits, but we have done that already, so... yeah.

If we wish to piece it together formally:

seanieg89

HSC

Well we can formalise it by using limits, but we have done that already, so... yeah.

If we wish to piece it together formally:

That is better, and more or less what I wanted people to say for 2.

One thing though: Monotonicity isn't so essential here if you have already calculated R(n) explicitly.

What is important is just that each R(n) is smaller than 1/4*pi. (*)

(And if we have already calculated R(n) explicitly, and you really wanted to obtain montonicity, we wouldn't need any geometric reasoning as I produced on request earlier, as you already have the explicit values and the inequality is not a difficult one.)

Assuming we are working with curves that are nice enough to:
- enclose a region with well defined perimeter and area
- be well approximated by polygons (there is a sequence of polygons with vertices on the curves such that the limiting area and limiting perimeter of these polygons is the area and perimeter of the region itself)

(*) tells us that the isoperimetric ratio for such curves is bounded by 1/4*pi.

To additionally show that we cannot beat 1/4*pi as an upper bound, we can either
a) compute A/P^2 for a circle. this is cheating in a sense, but whatever.
b) observe that R(n) -> 1/4*pi (an mx2 level limit), and so any smaller real number will not bound all of the R(n).

Where monotonicity IS useful, is finding a cheap way to pass from dealing with arbitrary polygons to convex polygons. (As the convex hull of a polygon is a convex polygon of lower degree with larger area and smaller perimeter.)

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

That is better, and more or less what I wanted people to say for 2.

One thing though: Monotonicity isn't so essential here if you have already calculated R(n) explicitly.

What is important is just that each R(n) is smaller than 1/4*pi. (*)

(And if we have already calculated R(n) explicitly, and you really wanted to obtain montonicity, we wouldn't need any geometric reasoning as I produced on request earlier, as you already have the explicit values and the inequality is not a difficult one.)

Assuming we are working with curves that are nice enough to:
- enclose a region with well defined perimeter and area
- be well approximated by polygons (there is a sequence of polygons with vertices on the curves such that the limiting area and limiting perimeter of these polygons is the area and perimeter of the region itself)

(*) tells us that the isoperimetric ratio for such curves is bounded by 1/4*pi.

To additionally show that we cannot beat 1/4*pi as an upper bound, we can either
a) compute A/P^2 for a circle. this is cheating in a sense, but whatever.
b) observe that R(n) -> 1/4*pi (an mx2 level limit), and so any smaller real number will not bound all of the R(n).

Where monotonicity IS useful, is finding a cheap way to pass from dealing with arbitrary polygons to convex polygons. (As the convex hull of a polygon is a convex polygon of lower degree with larger area and smaller perimeter.)
The limit is not extension 2, I have no idea what you are talking about. It's not even that difficult for an extension 1 student to manipulate it into an approachable form, all they require is the trig limit used in differentiating trig functions from first principles.

seanieg89

HSC

The limit is not extension 2, I have no idea what you are talking about. It's not even that difficult for an extension 1 student to manipulate it into an approachable form, all they require is the trig limit used in differentiating trig functions from first principles.
By MX2 I meant doable by an MX2 student i.e. in the scope of this thread. I didn't mean that you would only be capable of doing it if you knew the MX2 course.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Do you need help for all of them?
Oh, these are just the leftover problems, and I can't do any of them.

Yes, I did manage to forget my own answer to that damn circle problem.

KX

HSC

Oh, these are just the leftover problems, and I can't do any of them.

Yes, I did manage to forget my own answer to that damn circle problem.
Ah okay.

As another user said before, I really think that these problems should be left to the 2016ers, no spoilers from any past graduates please

These look darn interesting

glittergal96

HSC

(If you are not allowed to use a calculator to justify the final inequality, use the taylor estimates for the arctan, which conveniently alternate in sign and will converge quite rapidly at 1/19.)

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

(If you are not allowed to use a calculator to justify the final inequality, use the taylor estimates for the arctan, which conveniently alternate in sign and will converge quite rapidly at 1/19.)
My intended solution was to pigeonhole the 61 arctans of the real numbers into the interval -pi/2, pi/2 after dividing the interval into 60 equal sub-intervals, as tan(pi/60) is ever so slightly less than 1/19.

Last edited:

JusticeTackle

HSC

My intended solution was to pigeonhole the 61 arctans of the real numbers into the interval -pi/2, pi/2 after dividing the interval into 60 equal sub-intervals, as tan(pi/60) is ever so slightly less than 1/19.
nvm

Last edited:

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

In simpler terms:

Find all polynomials that are one-to-one.

You may assume without loss of generality that the polynomial is monic.

seanieg89

HSC

In simpler terms:

Find all polynomials that are one-to-one.

You may assume without loss of generality that the polynomial is monic.
I don't think that is what he is asking. He is asking for an explicit expression for a polynomial whose graph passes through a given finite set of points in the plane.

(An extension question for those with knowledge from outside syllabus is to show that the polynomial so constructed has as small degree as is possible, for any given values of x_n and y_n.)

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

I don't think that is what he is asking. He is asking for an explicit expression for a polynomial whose graph passes through a given finite set of points in the plane.

(An extension question for those with knowledge from outside syllabus is to show that the polynomial so constructed has as small degree as is possible, for any given values of x_n and y_n.)
Then he should have said that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)