HSC 2016 MX2 Marathon ADVANCED (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

glittergal96

HSC
Re: HSC 2016 4U Marathon - Advanced Level

Pretty much yep :). There are a couple of subtle points that need to be addressed slightly differently but the ideas are there.

1. It is far from obvious that "flipping things to the outside" can transform an arbitrary n-gon into a convex n-gon. (The biggest difficulty here stems from the possibility of self-intersection after the flip.)

This technicality might be quite hard to deal with, I can't think of any easy way to do so.

However, there is at least one way I know of to avoid this technical issue rather cheaply.

2. I don't think this argument will really allow us to say that a circle is the UNIQUE optimal shape for enclosing area, just that any region bounded by a closed curve that can be well approximated by a polygon must satisfy A/L^2 =< 1/(4*pi).

(Of course, the circle is actually the unique rigorous solution to pretty much all formulations of the isoperimetric problem, but I don't believe that such elementary tools suffice to give us a rigorous solution to the full isoperimetric problem.)

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Pretty much yep :). There are a couple of subtle points that need to be addressed slightly differently but the ideas are there.

1. It is far from obvious that "flipping things to the outside" can transform an arbitrary n-gon into a convex n-gon. (The biggest difficulty here stems from the possibility of self-intersection after the flip.)

This technicality might be quite hard to deal with, I can't think of any easy way to do so.

However, there is at least one way I know of to avoid this technical issue rather cheaply.

2. I don't think this argument will really allow us to say that a circle is the UNIQUE optimal shape for enclosing area, just that any region bounded by a closed curve that can be well approximated by a polygon must satisfy A/L^2 =< 1/(4*pi).

(Of course, the circle is actually the unique rigorous solution to pretty much all formulations of the isoperimetric problem, but I don't believe that such elementary tools suffice to give us a rigorous solution to the full isoperimetric problem.)
I've seen topological solutions...

If we could somehow prove by elementary means that the nth ratio is strictly less than the n+1 th ratio, then we have an upper bound, as the sequence would be monotonically increasing.

glittergal96

HSC

I've seen topological solutions...

If we could somehow prove by elementary means that the nth ratio is strictly less than the n+1 th ratio, then we have an upper bound, as the sequence would be monotonically increasing.
Topological solutions to what?

An upper bound for what?

You are definitely onto something with the monotonicity property though, that is the key to the argument I mentioned in the first of my remarks (1).

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Topological solutions to what? The isoperimetric inequality.

An upper bound for what? The nth ratio, which would imply the isoperimetric inequality.

You are definitely onto something with the monotonicity property though, that is the key to the argument I mentioned in the first of my remarks (1).
The inequality doesn't appear to be easily subject to elementary analysis. I'm looking at it already and my mind is going *nopenopenopegetmethefuckawayfromthisproblem*

seanieg89

HSC

The inequality doesn't appear to be easily subject to elementary analysis. I'm looking at it already and my mind is going *nopenopenopegetmethefuckawayfromthisproblem*
I know. As I said, the isoperimetric problem (ie showing that the optimal area-enclosing curves amongst curves of a certain regularity are precisely the circles, and the optimal value is 1/4pi) is not suitable as a high school problem. (It would be hard to make it instructive as well.)

The polygonal isoperimetric inequality is another matter though, especially is existence of a maximiser is already assumed, which is why I posed the question as I did.

As for b), that was to give a student an intuition for the isoperimetric inequality, without explictly looking at a rigorous definition of the class of curves we are optimising over.

seanieg89

HSC

Also, by topological solutions of the isoperimetric inequality, do you mean:

-a proof by largely topological means that A/P^2 cannot exceed 1/4*pi, with equality only at circles. (quantifying over a set of curves of some regularity class.)
-a continuous function that is very rough (but still in some class of curves we can sensibly assign enclosed areas and arclengths to) that also satisfies the isoperimetric equality.

The first meaning seems much more likely to me now, but when I first read your post the context made it sound like you might mean the second so I thought I'd check.

seanieg89

HSC

Oh lols, gave away my alt. Ah well, it's done now. :p

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Also, by topological solutions of the isoperimetric inequality, do you mean:

-a proof by largely topological means that A/P^2 cannot exceed 1/4*pi, with equality only at circles. (quantifying over a set of curves of some regularity class.)
-a continuous function that is very rough (but still in some class of curves we can sensibly assign enclosed areas and arclengths to) that also satisfies the isoperimetric equality.

The first meaning seems much more likely to me now, but when I first read your post the context made it sound like you might mean the second so I thought I'd check.
I've seen paper abstracts with ideas in both, so both of those, I suppose...

Can anyone solve Integrand's problem? I still can't think of anything other than Jensen's Inequality.

seanieg89

HSC

I've seen paper abstracts with ideas in both, so both of those, I suppose...

Can anyone solve Integrand's problem? I still can't think of anything other than Jensen's Inequality.
Really? Could you possibly link me one of the ones corresponding to the second if you can find it? Genuinely interested, as I haven't encountered these particular pathological curves before.

The first would also interest me depending on what you meant by topological proof. It would be surprising to me if such a proof existed that did not involve much analysis.

For Integrand's problem, Jensens or Lagrange multipliers would be the most straightforward if things a bit outside of syllabus were allowed. Otherwise (if existence of a maximum was an allowable assumption, which I think it needs to be), you can employ a perturbation argument similar to your original post on the polygonal isoperimetric argument. i.e. showing that an n-gon which is not a regular n-gon (circumscribed on the unit circle) is not optimal.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Really? Could you possibly link me one of the ones corresponding to the second if you can find it? Genuinely interested, as I haven't encountered these particular pathological curves before.

The first would also interest me depending on what you meant by topological proof. It would be surprising to me if such a proof existed that did not involve much analysis.

For Integrand's problem, Jensens or Lagrange multipliers would be the most straightforward if things a bit outside of syllabus were allowed. Otherwise (if existence of a maximum was an allowable assumption, which I think it needs to be), you can employ a perturbation argument similar to your original post on the polygonal isoperimetric argument. i.e. showing that an n-gon which is not a regular n-gon (circumscribed on the unit circle) is not optimal.
aha, I only glanced briefly at those abstracts, and it was a while ago so I'm doubtful I'll be able to find them, as I only stumbled on them due to a corresponding google search on higher dimensional equivalents of the isoperimetric inequality.

I have no idea what a lagrange multiplier is.

I do not wish to go through that argument again, doing it once is enough for me.

I wonder if there's a geometric/graphical way to prove the inequality between subsequent ratios...

seanieg89

HSC

I wonder if there's a geometric/graphical way to prove the inequality between subsequent ratios...
Indeed there is.

Consider an n-gon that is optimal w.r.t. the n-gon isoperimetric inequality. Now construct an n+1 gon by severing two of the adjacent vertices of the n-gon and connecting them both to a new point Q, chosen in a way that avoids intersection. Keep a dotted line where the severed edge was. Now move this new point Q towards the dotted line from the outside or inside.

As you do this, your n+1 gon will have perimeter and enclosed area approaching that of the n-gon. So you can make n+1 gons with A/P^2 arbitrarily close to the optimal value of A/P^2 for n-gons.

I.e. n+1 gons cannot be "worse" at enclosing area than n-gons.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Indeed there is.

Consider an n-gon that is optimal w.r.t. the n-gon isoperimetric inequality. Now construct an n+1 gon by severing two of the adjacent vertices of the n-gon and connecting them both to a new point Q, chosen in a way that avoids intersection. Keep a dotted line where the severed edge was. Now move this new point Q towards the dotted line from the outside or inside.

As you do this, your n+1 gon will have perimeter and enclosed area approaching that of the n-gon. So you can make n+1 gons with A/P^2 arbitrarily close to the optimal value of A/P^2 for n-gons.

I.e. n+1 gons cannot be "worse" at enclosing area than n-gons.
This proves that each subsequent ratio is optimally better than the previous ratio. Since the infiniti-eth ratio is a finite value, this proves the two-dimensional isoperimetric inequality.

seanieg89

HSC

I have no idea what a lagrange multiplier is.
Nothing too fancy, just the standard tool for optimising functions w.r.t constraints. (e.g. Maximise e^(ye^x) subject to the constraint x^2+y^2=1).

Looking at stationary points and doing the higher dimensional analogues of the "derivative tests" to determine stationary point nature don't work in this setting. (unless you can nicely parametrise the constraint hypersurface).

seanieg89

HSC

Since the infiniti-eth ratio is a finite value, this proves the two-dimensional isoperimetric inequality.
Err, no. Although I am not sure if you are just joking by talking about infiniti-eth ratios.

KX

HSC

Oh lols, gave away my alt. Ah well, it's done now. :p

Wow lol

Glittergal was like an inspiration to the post-2014ers.....

To think that she was all fake.... Mind actually blown....

Actually tbh, it did cross my mind at least once that you and Glittergal were very very similar.

R.I.P Glittergal96 [25/07/14~08/01/16]

seanieg89

HSC

Wow lol

Glittergal was like an inspiration to the post-2014ers.....

To think that she was all fake.... Mind actually blown....

Actually tbh, it did cross my mind at least once that you and Glittergal were very very similar.

R.I.P Glittergal96 [25/07/14~08/01/16]
Haha yeah, sorry about that. The start was just boredom / curiosity at how some of the more sexist people on this forum would react (as there are/were plenty of them). After a while people got to know the account though so I began to mostly use that one and just stuck to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)