HSC 2016 MX2 Integration Marathon (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hedgehog_7

HSC
Re: MX2 2016 Integration Marathon

Given P ( a cos theta , b sin theta ) and Q ( a cos phi , b sin phi ) lie on the ellipse x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 = 1

IF PQ subtends a right angle at (a,0) show that ( tan theta/2 ) X ( tan phi/2 ) = -b^2/a^2

hedgehog_7

HSC

also sorry for double post i think this conics stuff is really messing with me, this is some stupid trig identity thing with this conics that isnt really clicking with me:

How does b (sin theta - sin phi ) / a (cos theta - cos phi) = b/a * ( 2 sin ( (theta - phi) /2 ) ) ) * cos ( theta + phi /2 ) ) / - 2 sin ( (theta - phi) /2 ) ) sin (theta + phi /2 )
Sorry i might have really butchered this in typing it out. I couldnt upload my photo because file size was too big? :L page 89 conics cambridge 4u . Any help would be awesome! thanks

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

also sorry for double post i think this conics stuff is really messing with me, this is some stupid trig identity thing with this conics that isnt really clicking with me:

Sorry i might have really butchered this in typing it out. I couldnt upload my photo because file size was too big? :L page 89 conics cambridge 4u . Any help would be awesome! thanks
Wrong thread, put this on the standard 4U marathon, or make a new thread for this question.
Use the sum to product identity.

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC

Wrong thread, put this on the standard 4U marathon, or make a new thread for this question.
Use the sum to product identity.

I eventually deduced the substitution, but lack of experience with using it meant I couldn't make any progress. Will wait for a solution to use as a learning tool.

(but not a rushed Drsoccerball solution lol)

glittergal96

HSC

Bloody hell that Recurrence formula is a bitch.

Definitely don't need any recursion for this integral. Here is my solution to the generalisation where 2 is replaced by b:

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Definitely don't need any recursion for this integral. Here is my solution to the generalisation where 2 is replaced by b:

Yeah, I'm only used to symmetric substitutions, these ones I haven't learnt to see yet.

Specifically asymmetric substitutions of the rational kind.

glittergal96

HSC

The motivation is fairly straightforward thankfully: u=b/x-x is a pretty logical thing to try (simplify the ugliest part of the integrand).

Then I just arbitrarily (but consistently) chose one of the solutions to the resulting quadratic equation in x.

Spotting a substitution like that if that term wasn't isolated under the power would be an entirely different matter.

glittergal96

HSC

Of course, this method also makes it clear why there is more work to do when integrating (k/x-x)^(2n+1).

With this switched parity, the SIMPLER term in the integrand drops out from being odd and the more complicated one survives.

This means that we essentially have to integrate things of the form I_m := x^(2m)/sqrt(x^2+4b) from 0 to b-1.

We can attack this guy with trig/hyp trig (the sinh sub almost immediately gives us a recurrence, but I'm not sure if you will be able to find a nice closed form solution for I_m).

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Of course, this method also makes it clear why there is more work to do when integrating (k/x-x)^(2n+1).

With this switched parity, the SIMPLER term in the integrand drops out from being odd and the more complicated one survives.

This means that we essentially have to integrate things of the form I_m := x^(2m)/sqrt(x^2+4b) from 0 to b-1.

We can attack this guy with trig/hyp trig (the sinh sub almost immediately gives us a recurrence, but I'm not sure if you will be able to find a nice closed form solution for I_m).
The general solution of the expansion will involve log(2), which means it's not going to be nice. I've already numerically analysed the first few odd powers and the only possibility of a pattern involves tedious combinations of binomial expressions. The co-efficient for log(2), however is quite nice (always an integer) due to the log(2) term being strictly dependent on a single term of the binomial expansion.

Now glittergal, why don't you solve my 4th integral for leehuan?

glittergal96

HSC

The general solution of the expansion will involve log(2), which means it's not going to be nice. I've already numerically analysed the first few odd powers and the only possibility of a pattern involves tedious combinations of binomial expressions. The co-efficient for log(2), however is quite nice (always an integer) due to the log(2) term being strictly dependent on a single term of the binomial expansion.

Now glittergal, why don't you solve my 4th integral for leehuan?
Well, I mean the existence of a log term doesn't in itself mean the answer cannot be found in closed form.
Finding a binomial expansion for the integral is immediate, but its not obvious that this expansion does not have a closed form.

Sure, I will have a crack at it later this arvo if no-one else does. There are just a few other things I want to finish first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)