HSC 2015 MX2 Permutations & Combinations Marathon (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Re: 2015 permutation X2 marathon

Not much point as far as I can see, but it was raised by someone and it was asked if the probability would remain the same.

seanieg89

HSC

I assume braintic wants the answer in case form, so I will let someone else do that :).

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Last edited:

braintic

HSC
N/A

If the distribution wasn't even in one variable, you would have to integrate the distribution itself. If it was uneven in both variables, you would need a double integral.
That is my understanding anyway - correct me if I'm wrong.

seanieg89

HSC

Basically, but areas is a restrictive way to think about it imo its is more of a ratio of sets in your probability space (space of outcomes).

In this case your probability space is a product measure space so in general we would need a double integral (weighted by the pdf or more generally the measure defining our choice of variables).

The product measure of the two uniform measures on the line though is the uniform measure on the plane. (uniform=Lebesgue) So measuring the set of desirable outcomes in this problem is just finding it's area as a ratio of the full rectangle of possible outcomes.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Basically, but areas is a restrictive way to think about it imo its is more of a ratio of sets in your probability space (space of outcomes).

In this case your probability space is a product measure space so in general we would need a double integral (weighted by the pdf or more generally the measure defining our choice of variables).

The product measure of the two uniform measures on the line though is the uniform measure on the plane. (uniform=Lebesgue) So measuring the set of desirable outcomes in this problem is just finding it's area as a ratio of the full rectangle of possible outcomes.
Ok, so why was the question classified by OP as 2U? Double Integrals are beyond High School.

seanieg89

HSC

Ok, so why was the question classified by OP as 2U? Double Integrals are beyond High School.
Note the words "in general", I was just giving a high brow overview of how this stuff generalises.

You do not need double integration for this particular question, as my single integral expression a few posts above shows.

Idk about 2U, but such examples of continuous probability exist in the standard textbooks. I believe one of the cambridge 3U books has an extension problem on the Buffon needle problem that works the same way.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

Note the words "in general", I was just giving a high brow overview of how this stuff generalises.

You do not need double integration for this particular question, as my single integral expression a few posts above shows.

Idk about 2U, but such examples of continuous probability exist in the standard textbooks. I believe one of the cambridge 3U books has an extension problem on the Buffon needle problem that works the same way.
It was touched on in the 2005 Maths Advanced paper Q10 (b).

Drsoccerball

HSC

Oh yes ! I remember this question because i couldn't do it...

rand_althor

HSC

Question I saw: In a chess tournament, n women and 2n men participated, and each one of them played only one game with everybody else. The ratio of the number of games won by women to the number of games won by men is 7:5. Find the number of men that participated in the tournament if no game was over in a tie.
Answer: 6 men
The solution provided with the question:

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

[The famous Monty Hall Problem]

Suppose you're on a game show, and you're given the choice of three doors: Behind one door is a car; behind the others, goats. You pick a door, say No. 1, and the host, who knows what's behind the doors, opens another door which he knows has a goat, say No. 3. He then says to you, "Do you want to pick door No. 2?" What is the chance of winning the car if switch your choice?

braintic

HSC
N/A

[The famous Monty Hall Problem]

Suppose you're on a game show, and you're given the choice of three doors: Behind one door is a car; behind the others, goats. You pick a door, say No. 1, and the host, who knows what's behind the doors, opens another door which he knows has a goat, say No. 3. He then says to you, "Do you want to pick door No. 2?" What is the chance of winning the car if switch your choice?
AND ..... you KNOW the host's strategy of only ever revealing a goat.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Monty Hall Problem with a twist: The remaining two doors are in quantum superpositions of both states at once. True 50:50 achieved.

Drsoccerball

HSC

AND ..... you KNOW the host's strategy of only ever revealing a goat.
So if he reveals thats its a goat then theres an even higher chance that if you switch you get the car right? Higher than 50% ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)