HSC 2015 MX2 Integration Marathon (archive) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
Re: MX2 2015 Integration Marathon

Lets get some recurrence formulae up in here.

Next question:

If In = integral between 0 and 1 of (x^n)sqrt(1-x)dx show that In = 4^(n+1) . n!(n+1)!/(2n+3)!

Sorry for my lack of LaTeX

leehuan

HSC

Well that was exhaustive! Anyway, I usually use this to do my LaTeX: Daum Equation Editor

Last edited:

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC

Well that was exhaustive! Anyway, I usually use this to do my LaTeX: Daum Equation Editor
Thx for the link. Just had a go at redoing my solution earlier on it:

I think it's safe to say I won't be using it in the future, too fiddly for someone as lazy as me :p

glittergal96

HSC

This question is based on your ability to approximate sums by integrals, hence its location in this marathon thread.

Prove that there exist positive constants such that

for all positive integers

(In fact, the ratio in this question tends to an exact constant, but proving this convergence without guidance is perhaps a bit much to ask. It is a reasonable enough followup exercise though to calculate this exact constant, given that the ratio does in fact converge.)

Last edited:

Drsoccerball

HSC

This question is based on your ability to approximate integrals, hence its location in this marathon thread.

(In fact, the ratio in this question tends to an exact constant, but proving this convergence without guidance is perhaps a bit much to ask. It is a reasonable enough followup exercise though to calculate this exact constant, given that the ratio does in fact converge.)
A similar question was asked by sean still unsolved

glittergal96

HSC

Here is a question that concerns inequalities arising from integration. (It is harder conceptually than most questions in this thread, but easier than a lot of them in terms of how technically demanding the required manipulations are.)

(This integral clearly blows up as approaches the unit circle. The point of the question is to quantify how quickly this happens, which is generally a useful thing to know.)
Probably this one. Will try later today.

glittergal96

HSC

That lower bound seems weird, I think the exponents for both bound should be larger...perhaps ? The part of the integration that is blowing up as is shrinking in size...

Anyway, will properly look at it when I get home later.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

That lower bound seems weird, I think the exponents for both bound should be larger...perhaps ? The part of the integration that is blowing up as is shrinking in size...

Anyway, will properly look at it when I get home later.
Well the upper bound has sufficient (upper bound has already been established in an earlier post).

Also, can the constants depend on ?

glittergal96

HSC

Well the upper bound has sufficient (upper bound has already been established in an earlier post).

Also, can the constants depend on ?
Sure, but these inequalities are only "good" if the growth rates of the upper and lower bound match...my suspicion is that blows up faster than this integral does. (So we can still find an upper bound of sean's form as you say, but I don't think we can find such a lower bound...so maybe the correct exponent is greater, which sharpens the upper bound we have to prove.)

Edit: Yeah, it looks like the alpha is fixed throughout the question, so everything can depend on it.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

This question is based on your ability to approximate sums by integrals, hence its location in this marathon thread.

by approximating with n trapeziums each of width 1, I'll post a proper proof later and for the lower bound

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)