HSC 2013 MX2 Marathon (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Re: HSC 2014 4U Marathon

That's basically the same as my centroid proof then. k=l=3/2 just says that the centroid divides the median into the ratio 2:1.

RealiseNothing

HSC

Haha I just realised, k=3/2 was on the photo of the question.

Rumbleroar, surely you would have seen what to do from here? Or did you write that in afterwards?
I think she realised she essentially just had to prove that k=3/2 to do the question, by observing the equation given and the result needed.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

Oh btw for those interested, this question touches on a recurring theme in Linear Algebra called 'Linear Independence', and this is a pretty common technique for killing off 'ratios within triangles' problems (ie: centroid is 2/3 along the median)

Very roughly, it is that if we have vectors such that (and you can clearly see that if we re-arrange (ii), we get that form), where Z and W are 'linearly independent' (meaning that one cannot be constructed from a 'combination' of the other), then

RealiseNothing

HSC

Hmm does it ?

I'm thinking it should.

Edit: wait no, idk, I should sleep soon.

Last edited:

RealiseNothing

HSC

Let's hope I haven't completely derped...

Consider the GM-HM inequality:

Flipping this gives:

Now let:

The RHS and thus the LHS (our sum) also

Edit: Yep I derped, I think I'll go to sleep now...

Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

If we do a substitution and let we get:

with limits from 0 to (n-1).

Eh how does the partial sum become a definite integral? Did you mean that the LHS is a Riemann Sum, then take the limit as N -> infinity?

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

If we do a substitution and let we get:

with limits from 0 to (n-1).

That is the correct answer, but I was able to do it without resorting to Riemann Sums (indeed a rather crude version of it, try lower and upper rectangles of fixed length)

seanieg89

HSC

That is the correct answer, but I was able to do it without resorting to Riemann Sums (indeed a rather crude version of it, try lower and upper rectangles of fixed length)
Huh, what do you mean by this?

My solution is also based on Riemann sums.

By the way, using Riemann sums shouldn't be thought of as outside MX2. Otherwise we shouldn't be able to use integration at all in MX2 because that is how the Riemann integral is defined. (Although the rigorous details of this construction are beyond the scope of MX2, so too are the rigorous details of much simpler things like the very notion of a limit or what it means to raise a real number to a real power etc.)

Last edited:

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Huh, what do you mean by this?

My solution is also based on Riemann sums.

By the way, using Riemann sums shouldn't be thought of as outside MX2. Otherwise we shouldn't be able to use integration at all in MX2 because that is how the Riemann integral is defined. (Although the rigorous details of this construction are beyond the scope of MX2, so too are the rigorous details of much simpler things like the very notion of a limit or what it means to raise a real number to a real power etc.)
Sketch the graph of:

Its easy enough to graph, then consider the upper and lower rectangles at,

Considering the lower rectangles first

Then the upper rectangles

Add something to both sides of the inequality, make the sum the middle term in the inequality, find the integrals and apply squeeze theorem.

seanieg89

HSC

Sketch the graph of:

Its easy enough to graph, then consider the upper and lower rectangles at,

Considering the lower rectangles first

Then the upper rectangles

Add something to both sides of the inequality, make the sum the middle term in the inequality, find the integrals and apply squeeze theorem.
Ah okay, I thought it might be this. This is actually a kind of similar idea to how one proves that the definition of a Riemann integral as a limit of Riemann sums makes sense and is unambiguous.

But yeah, any argument you construct using integrals is implicitly using Riemann sums anyway. (Otherwise what does the integral mean?)

RealiseNothing

HSC

Eh how does the partial sum become a definite integral? Did you mean that the LHS is a Riemann Sum, then take the limit as N -> infinity?
That's what I was trying to get at, but like I all nightered it and was ceebs explaining properly. When posting it I knew it wasn't very rigorous.

Last edited:

bottleofyarn

HSC

Make sure to say so if this one is too hard/open

This isn't too bad actually and a rather nice question, once you realise that . Taking the real part of the geometric sum you get .
Make the denominator real and then using half angle sets up the numerator nicely for sums to products. Simplifying it down, I got

==

Reminds me of a similar question.

There are parts before it but they lead away from the really nice solution.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

This isn't too bad actually and a rather nice question, once you realise that . Taking the real part of the geometric sum you get .
Make the denominator real and then using half angle sets up the numerator nicely for sums to products. Simplifying it down, I got

==

Reminds me of a similar question.

There are parts before it but they lead away from the really nice solution.
Yea something like that

Something wrong with latex?

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Why is latex not working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)