HSC 2013 MX2 Marathon (archive) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gustavo28

HSC
Re: HSC 2013 4U Marathon

edit: my bad
Assume that x>y since the problem is symmetric in x and y.
We can manipulate the inequality into wanting to prove that

x^y(x^(x-y)-1)/y^y >y^(x-y)-1. Now, x^a>y^a if a,x,y are positive since x^a is increasing for positive x (f'(x)=ax^(a-1)). So, x^(x-y)-1>y^(x-y)-1. Moreover x^y/y^y>1. So multiplying these two inequalities together we get the desired result. (Note y^(x-y)-1 is positive since x-y>0)

gustavo28

HSC

So, first of all suppose there is a monic rational quadratic with the root X+1/X with X as the cube root of a non-cube rational. From now on this root will be known as T.
Let this quadratic be x^2+ax+b. So, (x-a)(x^2+ax+b)=x^3+ax^2+bx-ax^2-a^2x-ab=x^3+x(b-a^2)-ab=Q.

So, using the P that has been referred to previously, we get P-Q=some linear rational polynomial which also must have T as a root. But this cant have the irrational root T.

Now, rational polynomials of degree 1 and 2 cant have T as a root then. Suppose some rational polynomial S(x) has T as a root. Note it must be of degree greater than or equal to 2. So, S(x)=M(x)P(x)+R(x) where deg R is 2 or less. Now, R has T as a root. But R can't be a constant, linear or quadratic rational polynomial. So R=0 and P has to divide S.
I think there's a fairly subtantial problem with my proof in that I assume that X+1/X is irrational where X is the cube root of a non-cube rational. However, I'm not entirely sure whether or not this is provable within the syllabus.

psychotropic

HSC

I think there's a fairly subtantial problem with my proof in that I assume that X+1/X is irrational where X is the cube root of a non-cube rational. However, I'm not entirely sure whether or not this is provable within the syllabus.
I think there is a much simpler way to do this- btw who are you?
A proof would be along these lines
x^(1/3)+x^(-1/3) is rational =>
(x^(1/3)+x^(-1/3))^2=x^(2/3)+x^(-2/3)+2 is rational=>
x^(2/3)+x^(-2/3) is rational=>
x(x^(1/3)+x^(-1/3))=x^(2/3)+x^(4/3) is rational=>
(x^(2/3)+x^(-2/3))-(x^(2/3)+x^(4/3))=x^(-2/3)+x^(4/3)=(x+x^(-1))x^(1/3) is rational=>
x^(1/3) is rational.
therefore x has to be a rational cube?

psychotropic

HSC

Given four concyclic points. For each subset of three points take the incenter. Show that the four incenters from a rectangle.

bottleofyarn

HSC

Here's a doable one, four lines of working and one of my favourites.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

View attachment 28799

lol ok here it is again

We are being asked for the roots of the polynomial

So, basically, for what values of x will that equation hold, well it is given from the above property, if:

then the equation holds hence the roots of the polynomial (x+1) P(x) - x

Then just re-arrange

seanieg89

HSC

This is easy enough:

If X+1/X=r rational, then X is a nonzero irrational root of a rational quadratic. So we can write X=a+b*sqrt(c), with a,b,c rational, c not a perfect square (from the definition of X). By cubing this implies that we must have 3a^2b+cb^3=0. As c is irrational, this forces a=b=0, contradiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)