HSC 2012-2015 Chemistry Marathon (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

psyc1011

#truth
HSC
re: HSC Chemistry Marathon Archive

Does the water molecule only have hydrogen bonding intermolecular forces or does it also have dipole dipole forces - some websites say it does and some say it doesn't so I'm a bit confused. I originally though water doesnt have dipole dipole forces because its a symmetrical molecule...
I read on the interwebs that hydrogen bonding is a specific version of dipole-dipole force. That is, hydrogen bonding is a dipole-dipole force but with interaction of specified atoms (H, F, O, N). Whereas, a normal dipole-dipole is associated with any atoms.

And water has a net dipole so there exists dipole-dipole forces (diagrams everywhere on the net.)

I might just read more on chem (extra general knowledge)... can anyone confirm this?

Last edited:

Drsoccerball

HSC

You don't need to know it so no point

Ekman

HSC

You don't need to know it so no point
Yes you do...
You don't pick and choose what they put in HSC :p
Well I think what drsoccerball is trying to say is that it would highly improbable that the HSC will ask about hydrogen bonding or dipole-dipole forces directly. However, you will most definitely need to know these types of bonding in order to answer other questions.

HSC

Well yeah.. thats why I asked it - it was part of a question - comparing the bonds between ethanol and water

psyc1011

#truth
HSC

I read on the interwebs that hydrogen bonding is a specific version of dipole-dipole force. That is, hydrogen bonding is a dipole-dipole force but with interaction of specified atoms (H, F, O, N). Whereas, a normal dipole-dipole is associated with any atoms.

And water has a net dipole so there exists dipole-dipole forces (diagrams everywhere on the net.)

I might just read more on chem (extra general knowledge)... can anyone confirm this?
Is this right???

HSC

Is this right???
I really think that water does not form dipole-dipole bonds and only forms hydrogen bonds because in dipole-dipole, the electronegativity is uneven, so the molecule is not symmetrical, whereas water is a symmetrical molecule so it wont form dipole dipole bonds... I'm not 100% sure about this but that's what I remember

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC

Questions

1. What is electronegativity and what causes it

2. What are dipoles

3. How do lone pairs interact with positive charge

If ceebs answering these, yeah hydrogen bonding is essentially just very strong dipole-dipole forces, and they're slightly directional like covalent bonds, but still much weaker than covalent bonds.

Last edited:

psyc1011

#truth
HSC

I really think that water does not form dipole-dipole bonds and only forms hydrogen bonds because in dipole-dipole, the electronegativity is uneven, so the molecule is not symmetrical, whereas water is a symmetrical molecule so it wont form dipole dipole bonds... I'm not 100% sure about this but that's what I remember
Symmetricity of a molecule does not mean the molecule is non-polar (no net-dipole). In one part of your response, you are right about the asymmetrical electronegativities of a molecule but on the next part, you argue molecular symmetry (not the same) or possibly have misunderstood the electronegativity spreads for water.

Dipole-dipole arise when a partially positive part of a molecule nears a partially negative part of a molecule. These partially positive/negative parts are the result of differences in eletronegativity 'clouds' within the molecule.

"A hydrogen bond is the attractive force between the hydrogen attached to an electronegative atom of one molecule and an electronegative atom of a different molecule. Usually the electronegative atom is oxygen, nitrogen, or fluorine, which has a partial negative charge. The hydrogen then has the partial positive charge." We can deduce that hydrogen bonds are a subset of dipole-dipole forces.

I hope that clears some stuff, and correct me if I'm wrong.

Another thing is that you shouldn't rely on memory due to it's incredible unreliability

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

Quick question, what's the difference between amphiprotic and amphiteric?

Drsoccerball

HSC

Quick question, what's the difference between amphiprotic and amphiteric?
Amphiprotic means it has the ability to both gain a proton (or hydrogen) or lose a proton. This means it can either act as an acid or a base.
Amphiteric is an oxide which acts as both an acid and a base.(If iirc)

HSC

Symmetricity of a molecule does not mean the molecule is non-polar (no net-dipole). In one part of your response, you are right about the asymmetrical electronegativities of a molecule but on the next part, you argue molecular symmetry (not the same) or possibly have misunderstood the electronegativity spreads for water.

Dipole-dipole arise when a partially positive part of a molecule nears a partially negative part of a molecule. These partially positive/negative parts are the result of differences in eletronegativity 'clouds' within the molecule.

"A hydrogen bond is the attractive force between the hydrogen attached to an electronegative atom of one molecule and an electronegative atom of a different molecule. Usually the electronegative atom is oxygen, nitrogen, or fluorine, which has a partial negative charge. The hydrogen then has the partial positive charge." We can deduce that hydrogen bonds are a subset of dipole-dipole forces.

I hope that clears some stuff, and correct me if I'm wrong.

Another thing is that you shouldn't rely on memory due to it's incredible unreliability
Hmm yeah I see thx! :)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

Really urgent question, what's a simple method/procedure to write when performing a titration?

Ekman

HSC

Amphiprotic means it has the ability to both gain a proton (or hydrogen) or lose a proton. This means it can either act as an acid or a base.
Amphiteric is an oxide which acts as both an acid and a base.(If iirc)
Its Amphoteric first of all. Also all amphoteric substances don't have to be oxides, amphiprotic substances such as Hydrogen Carbonate (HCO3-) are also amphoteric as well, because by definition, amphoteric substances are substances that can react with both acids and bases. They don't 'act' like an acid or base, rather they react with them

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

Its Amphoteric first of all. Also all amphoteric substances don't have to be oxides, amphiprotic substances such as Hydrogen Carbonate (HCO3-) are also amphoteric as well, because by definition, amphoteric substances are substances that can react with both acids and bases. They don't 'act' like an acid or base, rather they react with them
So would would you define an Amphoteric substance and an Amphiprotic substance?

Ekman

HSC

So would would you define an Amphoteric substance and an Amphiprotic substance?
Its just:
Amphiprotic: Substances that can either donate or accept a 'proton'
Amphoteric: Substances that can react with both acids and bases.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

Its just:
Amphiprotic: Substances that can either donate or accept a 'proton'
Amphoteric: Substances that can react with both acids and bases.
So basically that meaning of amphiprotic also applies for amphoteric and vice versa? Because if a substance reacts with an acid/base it's basically donating/accept a proton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)