• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HSC 2012-14 MX2 Integration Marathon (archive) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankXie

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Re: MX2 Integration Marathon

I didn't forget, I just didn't bother. Any rational function can just be done by partial fractions, which isn't terribly exciting.

ok I reckon it is not a good question coz I hate partial fractions too. I wrote this question was to try using the technique

which reduce the integral into via cancelling common factor, and via substitution

but unfortunately partial fraction is still needed to solve these two

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

I would bet all my money, my house, my dog and my car that there is no elementary primitive.
Just saying.
Can you formally show that there is no elementary primitive?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

Yep, you most certainly can.

Whilst I'm aware of this theorem and the basic gist of it, I confess that I haven't had the opportunity to really dig into the meat of it.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Yep, you most certainly can.

Whilst I'm aware of this theorem and the basic gist of it, I confess that I haven't had the opportunity to really dig into the meat of it.
Is there a rigorous definition of "elementary function"?

What makes the gamma function (for example) not elementary, but something like ln() or sin() elementary even though they are both transcendental?

seanieg89

HSC

Is there a rigorous definition of "elementary function"?

What makes the gamma function (for example) not elementary, but something like ln() or sin() elementary even though they are both transcendental?
I would say something like

Elementary function = anything formed recursively (using the operations of +,-,*,/,^ and composition) from: the reals, the monomial x, the 3 trig funcs and their inverses, the 3 hyp trig funcs and their inverses, the exponential and the logarithm.

I don't know that theres any universally agreed upon definition though, its not particularly important because its just a matter of conventions.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

The standard definition is a function that can be constructed via a finite number of applications of roots (of degree n, tbh I don't remember if n had to be rational), exponentiations and logarithms under your elementary operations (hence the name) and compositions. With enough playing around (using the fact that we can construct the trigs using complex exponentials), then we've also got the trigs and inverse trigs thrown in there too. The gamma function isn't considered elementary I presume it cannot be constructed using a finite number of 'allowed' things I've listed. As for the proof of that, I am not too sure to be honest. I've not yet had a proper look into that.

EDIT: Beaten.

Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

Thinking about it a bit more carefully now, the question "What makes a function elementary" is a lot more complicated than at first glance. I'm even getting a little confused regarding the definition I've learned (finite applications of etc). Asking myself questions like is an integral constructed via an infinite sum elementary? Is a function produced using the infinite geometric sum not elementary then? How about strange numbers like Liouville's Constant? Roots of polynomials of degree 5 or more?

seanieg89

HSC

I'm pretty sure all constant functions are considered elementary, no matter how unusual the number. (Most numbers are transcendental anyway, which imo is weirder than being a root of a poly that cant be expressed by radicals).

Also, the recursive building of an elementary function from the "building blocks" has to be finite. Then you can study this thing as an algebraic object using Galois theory. (Which is how you prove that certain things don't have elementary primitives).

So no, infinite sums/products don't count. Otherwise we are opening the gates for pretty much all the special functions.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

I'm pretty sure all constant functions are considered elementary, no matter how unusual the number. (Most numbers are transcendental anyway, which imo is weirder than being a root of a poly that cant be expressed by radicals).

Also, the recursive building of an elementary function from the "building blocks" has to be finite. Then you can study this thing as an algebraic object using Galois theory. (Which is how you prove that certain things don't have elementary primitives).

So no, infinite sums/products don't count. Otherwise we are opening the gates for pretty much all the special functions.
Where I am not sure is when you consider things like Taylor Series for say the sine function. The sine function is most certainly elementary yet the Taylor Series is of course infinite, so it cannot be elementary?? This is where I'm not completely sure.

seanieg89

HSC

Where I am not sure is when you consider things like Taylor Series for say the sine function. The sine function is most certainly elementary yet the Taylor Series is of course infinite, so it cannot be elementary?? This is where I'm not completely sure.
Well the precise defn would be: CAN be obtained by a finite recursive application of the allowed operations on the listed basic functions.

sin(x) can be obtained by applying absolutely 0 operations as it is itself one of the basic functions. Hence it is elementary.

The word "can" is key. The fact that it can also be written as an everywhere convergent infinite series as well is irrelevant. Otherwise the function 1/(1-x) on |x|<1 would have to be excluded as well, as it is the sum of the geometric series.

In fact all of the elementary functions are nice enough to be analytic on their appropriate domains I think.

Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

Well the precise defn would be: CAN be obtained by a finite recursive application of the allowed operations on the listed basic functions.

sin(x) can be obtained by applying absolutely 0 operations as it is itself one of the basic functions. Hence it is elementary.

The word "can" is key. The fact that it can also be written as an everywhere convergent infinite series as well is irrelevant. Otherwise the function 1/(1-x) on |x<1| would have to be excluded as well, as it is the sum of the geometric series.
Cheers, that's what I was looking for.

Funny you mention that specific geometric sum, I was thinking precisely that to put in my previous post, but decided to use the Taylor Series example to avoid any potential for the radius of convergence playing some role somehow.

seanieg89

HSC

Cheers, that's what I was looking for.

Funny you mention that specific geometric sum, I was thinking precisely that to put in my previous post, but decided to use the Taylor Series example to avoid any potential for the radius of convergence playing some role somehow.
Its a pretty nice and simple sum lol.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

I would say something like

Elementary function = anything formed recursively (using the operations of +,-,*,/,^ and composition) from: the reals, the monomial x, the 3 trig funcs and their inverses, the 3 hyp trig funcs and their inverses, the exponential and the logarithm.

I don't know that theres any universally agreed upon definition though, its not particularly important because its just a matter of conventions.

The word "can" is key. The fact that it can also be written as an everywhere convergent infinite series as well is irrelevant. Otherwise the function 1/(1-x) on |x|<1 would have to be excluded as well, as it is the sum of the geometric series.

In fact all of the elementary functions are nice enough to be analytic on their appropriate domains I think.
Is there a reason for that specific list of functions to be considered elementary?

What if I say

Elementary = anything formed recursively (using the operations of +,-,*,/,^ and composition) from: the reals, the monomial x, the 3 trig funcs and their inverses, the 3 hyp trig funcs and their inverses, the exponential and the logarithm, AND the Gamma function

Is there a reason why my this addition to the definition is wrong? Is the concept of elementary functions purely a categorization of mathematicians?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)