HSC 2004: which school will top? (1 Viewer)

HSC
nattylee said:
gotsta luv penno (my grammar heaps good, no?!!!), im a westie thru and thru, i cant stand when people knock us and call us yobbos, or make fun of our schools etc, etc...grrr! :vcross:

yeah, i just finished @ mcc, who is ur dad? i'd probably know him...
he's mr hume. the odd one, who wears the strange hats and so forth.

and by the way, just to contribute somethign to the thread, james ruse will perform best. I've seen plenty of people saying their school will go well, but no-one willing to forecast the downfall of JRAHS.

It's irrelevant to say that theyre geeks so u wouldnt wanna go there anyway. there should be a "which school is the geekiest" or something, and i have a funny feeling that the consensus vote would be the same....;)

Last edited:

nattylee

HSC
i had mr hume in yr9 for history! hes so kewl, and so random, as in he says things without reason! hes awesome! evry1 luvs him @ mcc! :D

HSC
nattylee said:
i had mr hume in yr9 for history! hes so kewl, and so random, as in he says things without reason! hes awesome! evry1 luvs him @ mcc! :D
ha, random. tell me about it, try living with him!

im always a bit tentative about telling people that actually, coz oncer i met these guys at the footy and they werent his biggest fans.... suffice it to say that didnt go too well.

anyway, good to hear.

so, anyone else got any thoughts about who will top the HSC?

A l

HSC
N/A
Top School?

LOL everyone knows that James Ruse Agricultural High School will top the state in the HSC!!! It would be a "spectacular" achievement if any school beats them!!!

One thing that I would like to note is that SO MANY SMART AND HIGH PERFORMING STUDENTS from my school (Sefton High School) left to go to other higher selective schools by year 10, to begin their Preliminary and HSC courses in a higher ranked school!!! (Just to name a few: Fort Street/Sydney Boys/North Sydney Boys/James Ruse Agricultural!!)

This means the remaining students who are at the top of the grade in our school in certain subjects are left as the limited number of people who our school rely on to push our rankings up from the 30s.

So I would say that Sefton High School could have been ranked in the Top 20, which is an EXCELLENT achievement for a SEMI-SELECTIVE school, if it wasn't for those high performing students leaving our school!!!!

I am in Year 10 now, and this thought really frustrates me because when people ask me what school I'm from, (especially parents) they'll say something like "oh that crap school?!" to my answer. This remark is not entirely true, since Sefton High School is doing really well especially for a partially selective school and it is because of many high achieving students leaving to higher schools that make Sefton High School ranked in the low 30s since 2001, when it could be in the Top 20. (Funnily enough, Sefton High School was ranked near the top 10 in 2000! What a drop!!)

A l

HSC
N/A
LOL everyone knows that James Ruse Agricultural High School will top the state in the HSC!!! It would be a "spectacular" achievement if any school beats them!!!

One thing that I would like to note is that SO MANY SMART AND HIGH PERFORMING STUDENTS from my school (Sefton High School) left to go to other higher selective schools by year 10, to begin their Preliminary and HSC courses in a higher ranked school!!! (Just to name a few: Fort Street/Sydney Boys/North Sydney Boys/James Ruse Agricultural!!)

This means the remaining students who are at the top of the grade in our school in certain subjects are left as the limited number of people who our school rely on to push our rankings up from the 30s.

So I would say that Sefton High School could have been ranked in the Top 20, which is an EXCELLENT achievement for a SEMI-SELECTIVE school, if it wasn't for those high performing students leaving our school!!!!

I am in Year 10 now, and this thought really frustrates me because when people ask me what school I'm from, (especially parents) they'll say something like "oh that crap school?!" to my answer. This remark is not entirely true, since Sefton High School is doing really well especially for a partially selective school and it is because of many high achieving students leaving to higher schools that make Sefton High School ranked in the low 30s since 2001, when it could be in the Top 20. (Funnily enough, Sefton High School was ranked near the top 10 in 2000! What a drop!!)

lil_lainy

HSC
private school ppls may bust out an do hell well in da hsc, cause their teachers do practically spoon feed them, they tell them how to blitz the exams...not how to like use their brains

thier the ones who r in the shitter when they get to uni tho, cause they dont get spoon fed, and they cant do it for themsleves..heaps of private school ppl who excelled in the hsc fail an drop out on uni

an i dunno whos school's gonna come top i dont give a crap, not mine...

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
lil_lainy said:
private school ppls may bust out an do hell well in da hsc, cause their teachers do practically spoon feed them, they tell them how to blitz the exams...not how to like use their brains

thier the ones who r in the shitter when they get to uni tho, cause they dont get spoon fed, and they cant do it for themsleves..heaps of private school ppl who excelled in the hsc fail an drop out on uni

an i dunno whos school's gonna come top i dont give a crap, not mine...
thats a generalisation but i must say is true in some cases. you ll find that the top students at private schools cope fine at uni but the others who are used to being spoon fed do struggle at times. At barker for instance, i havent really got any teachers who spoon feed me. most of the top people do well cause the teachers are clear and cause they do good study on their own.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
A l said:
This happens at all the "lesser" selective schools. We didn't lose That many in year 10 in my year, but that's apparently an anomaly. The best performers from the comprehensive high schools come in to fill the gaps though.

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
cimbom said:
St Marys Senior High and Wyndham College are the non- selective government senior schools that will shock all with their fantastic results in the near future... sure there are kids who don't do much, but there are plenty of students still that are really dedicated and intelligent :cool: . Watch out especially in next year's HSC.
*zara* said:
anyone know anyuthing about st marys seniour high schoolits crap i know but just wanting to know

I go to St Marys Senior High and would like to say that although it's not that great academically (although it has topped the Mt Druitt area for a long time... possibly longer than Ruse has topped the state w00t), for the amount of funding it gets, I believe that it performs very well. It has many extra programs and there is a great relationship between the teachers and students (e.g. all teachers are referred to on a first name basis)
Also the fact that it's a senior high school means that the teachers would be some of the most experienced in teaching HSC subjects in the state - and preparing notes, which can be improved every year...
The fact that there are >400 peole who attempted the HSC from my school means that it's unlikely that it would rank well by percentages but it would by sheer numbers of band 6s. This is why it's unfair to compare selective and comprehensive schools - I doubt the teachers at Ruse are extraordinary, and I'm sure if any school selected the best students in the state to attend their school they would top the state... big surprise.
It makes me feel bad about not paying my school fees...

In this ranking (pre-uni New College) St Marys was ranked 40th ( the best it'll get I think) and it was ranked twice... take that James Ruse...

EDIT: James Ruse

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Phanatical said:
This happens at all the "lesser" selective schools. We didn't lose That many in year 10 in my year, but that's apparently an anomaly. The best performers from the comprehensive high schools come in to fill the gaps though.
it does happen to some of the better school also, ppl from nsbhs moved to ruse.

Sickle

Hello Sunshine
HSC
Well according to the 2002 rankings my school came 334th.... hmmmm....

alien

HSC
hello everyone, james ruse will definetely come first
and believe it or not people there can have lives. i just don't think many of them do. one of my friends went there last year and he had a life for about the whole year minus the month before the hsc. that's better than one of my friends who went to tara, who spent every single day studiying since 2 months before trials. yep. she studied right through.
re: the comments about penrith high, go westies! i used to live there and i miss it a bit :(...
i don't know who i'd give second to, probably north sydney girls but DEFINETELY not hornsby girls. sorry ladies.
baulko could pull off second if they're lucky

lala2

Banned
HSC
for those of you doing 3U or 4U maths...

prove by mathematical induction that:

ruse + baulko + north sydney girls + ... + bottom school in the state = ruse coming first for all n where n are the years ruse has topped the state since 199x

Any solutions? Dunno, just thought I'd post it here seeing as one of my friends joked about this randomnly some while back...

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
LaraB said:
if we're talkin academics, past rankings and hsc results etc show pretty obviously and blatantly how NSBHS is better than Girraween...
Rankings don't make a school.

Young'un

HSC
N/A
What would be more important, is seeing how high schools improve results from year 6 to year 10/12. Of course the selective schools have the highest ranked leavers, because they have the highest ranked entrants. I think there would be other schools that would be 'better schools' in terms of HSC achievements because they improve their students' results more.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Ok. Quote from you "READ THE THREAD NAMES!!! no one cares if you're all rounded as far as HSC results go - the thread is which school will top HSC, not which school thinx they are the 'best' overall""

Right back at YOU.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)