How's free time like in uni? (1 Viewer)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Is one too busy with studying, assignments, etc? Or is there more free time in uni?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
How about if you want to do really well?
Depends how much of an effective learner you are.

Personally, I studied at least 2 hrs everyday consistently throughout my first year to achieve top marks (HD's).

This year I only studied on the days I had off each week (around 3) and studied for about 9 hours each of those 3 days. This let me get a mixture of D's and HD's.

Anyway it's really dependent on the subjects you are studying as well - content based (e.g. arts, com) are usually easier than concept based (science, maths, engo). So you may not need to put in as much time.

youngsky

poof
HSC
Make notes as early as poss and if you miss a lecture make sure you watch the recording at home. If you do most of your work at uni then you should have quite a bit of free time.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
One factor is how fast you learn and another factor is what grades you are aiming for.

However, I feel the biggest factor is what you plan to juggle.

If all you do is study, then I guess you are likely to have more 'free time'.

If you are immersing yourself with the full university experience (i.e. a blend of studying, extracurricular activities, work experience, etc.), then you'll be occupied to the extent that there won't be much 'free time'.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
One factor is how fast you learn and another factor is what grades you are aiming for.

However, I feel the biggest factor is what you plan to juggle.

If all you do is study, then I guess you are likely to have more 'free time'.

If you are immersing yourself with the full university experience (i.e. a blend of studying, extracurricular activities, work experience, etc.), then you'll be occupied to the extent that there won't be much 'free time'.
And i just netflix n chill

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
There's definitely more free time in uni in the sense that assignments/assessments are usually more spaced out and less compared to hSC, however, how you use your time is dependent on what you are striving for and what you wish to get out of it. Because there is so much more free time, you need to be even more disciplined to organise yourself so you use the time effectively.

iStudent

HSC
Too much free time !
There are assignments and stuff but they're just a few day's work and they're no more.
Most people cram assessments in the last 2 weeks as well (which isn't a good thing, but gets people through).

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Personally, I studied at least 2 hrs everyday consistently throughout my first year to achieve top marks (HD's).

This year I only studied on the days I had off each week (around 3) and studied for about 9 hours each of those 3 days. This let me get a mixture of D's and HD's.

Anyway it's really dependent on the subjects you are studying as well - content based (e.g. arts, com) are usually easier than concept based (science, maths, engo). So you may not need to put in as much time.
wat

we have to read tons and tons of material to get like a few lines of quotes for our essays and stuff

the time you spend on that is ridiculous

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

wat

we have to read tons and tons of material to get like a few lines of quotes for our essays and stuff

On a similar note, not all Commerce majors are more 'content-based' - quite a few of them are definitely more 'concept-based' (e.g. Finance, Economics, Accounting).

Additionally, I wouldn't be fooled by the relatively low contact hours of Commerce either. Lower contact hours just means that there is an expectation of greater hours for independent study (and that's not even considering the fact that Commerce students are very much pressured to pursue extracurricular activities and/or work experience to make them competitive for internships and graduate positions).

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
wat

Yeah but it is much easier to rote learn stuff than actually understand concepts

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)