• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How would you reply to this? (1 Viewer)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I was sitting at the back of my driving instructor's car as I was sitting next to a guy and his sister was driving. The instructor tells me what have you been upto and I said I've been studying. He replied who cares it's your holidays and I said but it's the HSC. He said it's not worth over studying (which I'm not) because the HSC brings stress, depression, etc. The sister of the guy next to me says the HSC is nothing and this is where the brother speaks:

"The developed brain, can take upto 45 minutes of studying, are you telling me, that for example, when the English exam is split into two exams, and it goes upto 2, or 3-4 hours, the brain will cope?"

I basically didn't want to speak as I could have replied but just stayed quiet as I didn't want to create conflict, what would you have said to something like this?

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
I was sitting at the back of my driving instructor's car as I was sitting next to a guy and his sister was driving. The instructor tells me what have you been upto and I said I've been studying. He replied who cares it's your holidays and I said but it's the HSC. He said it's not worth over studying (which I'm not) because the HSC brings stress, depression, etc. The sister of the guy next to me says the HSC is nothing and this is where the brother speaks:

"The developed brain, can take upto 45 minutes of studying, are you telling me, that for example, when the English exam is split into two exams, and it goes upto 2, or 3-4 hours, the brain will cope?"

I basically didn't want to speak as I could have replied but just stayed quiet as I didn't want to create conflict, what would you have said to something like this?
"I disagree, i think you got a mystery mark, good day." Then wave him goodbye. Solid insult/10 then never speak to him again.

But in all honesty i think i would've done the same thing after just telling him you disagree.

dirty_ink

HSC
I would ask him where he got his information from, and then avoid conversation after he replies, whilst mentally rolling my eyes.

But the reaction would depend on his exact tone of voice. Hopefully it wasn't too confrontational :/

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I would ask him where he got his information from, and then avoid conversation after he replies, whilst mentally rolling my eyes.

But the reaction would depend on his exact tone of voice. Hopefully it wasn't too confrontational :/
He most likely got it off the internet, he was also speaking in a scientific voice if you know what I mean. He was speaking quite slowly, you know when someone speaks slow just so the listener can fully understand his point? Yeah that's how he was speaking.

Also he continued saying that he saw a youtube video, featuring steve jobs, michael jordon and bill gates, he mentioned how these people dropped out of school yet they're millionaires/billionaires...

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
He most likely got it off the internet, he was also speaking in a scientific voice if you know what I mean. He was speaking quite slowly, you know when someone speaks slow just so the listener can fully understand his point? Yeah that's how he was speaking.

Also he continued saying that he saw a youtube video, featuring steve jobs, michael jordon and bill gates, he mentioned how these people dropped out of school yet they're millionaires/billionaires...
Listing exceptions does not make it immediately the truth. If you can drop school right now and make millions , i'd honestly be seeing koalas at the top of the food chain before it happened.

HSC
Well he is not a psychologist and everyone is not the same as he thinks
I would say "cool. I never heard of that. I'll look it up" but really I'll try avoid engaging in convos with him

dirty_ink

HSC

Well he sure sounds condescending, whether it was part of his intention or not. I get him trying to prove a point, but doing so in the way he did wasn't really necessary.

Don't know what his problem is.

Are you feeling alright?

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
Well he sure sounds condescending, whether it was part of his intention or not. I get him trying to prove a point, but doing so in the way he did wasn't really necessary.

Don't know what his problem is.

Are you feeling alright?
probably bitter he left h.s in year 10...

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Probably.
Even when the guy's sister said the HSC is nothing, I giggled. She even said that even if someone drops out of school it doesn't mean he's unsuccessful, it's just school is not for him.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
I would of said

"Well, by the end of the HSC I would graduate from high school got into Uni and have a good job but not like an driving instructor, no one wants to become that "

and walk away awesomely

photastic

HSC
Next time talk about how you are serious about going to university and wanting to pursue not only education but more options. If he doesnt respect idk what humanity is.

QZP

HSC
Possible 1st reply to his statement that HSC is not worth studying for: "I've also been doing other things such as {insert}".
Note: If you can't say you've been doing other things than perhaps his comment was a good reality check

Possible 2nd reply to his "scientific" facts: "Yeah, I don't necessarily 100% agree with the HSC but it is the fastest pathway to uni so that's why I'm studying".

The instructor had his own perspective. No need to get defensive guys.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)