How / What program do schools use to detect plagarism? (1 Viewer)

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
I'm currently doing an assignment, and when it is due we have to submit the assignment, which is on word, to the schools online website. I'm using one or two paragraphs from Bored of Studies resources word document.
Will get 0 for sure unless the teacher is an idiot.

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
My school also uses Turnitin. It's a program that literally checks for similarities of every known piece of writing available, and then returns it's check with a report and a percentage that will state how much you've plagiarised.

Generally, teachers can google a sentence and find the exact source of information also. And also, when you have 20ish students doing a similar assignment, and use the internet as a source, similar sentences also appear in each students assignment; then teachers detect the plagiarism occurring.

This site is fairly well known by the teaching staff at my school; they even recommend it for help and as such. So, depending on your school it might be vary on whether information sourced from here will be picked up on.

And on the note, 2 paragraphs is quite an extreme amount to plagiarise. It really cannot be that hard to at least reword it, and then put some of your own ideas into the paragraphs to at least give it a sense that it's your own piece of writing.

Last edited:

LonelyWolf

HSC
I'm currently doing an assignment, and when it is due we have to submit the assignment, which is on word, to the schools online website. I'm using one or two paragraphs from Bored of Studies resources word document.I know my school has some form of a plararism detector which scans the internet, i don't know the programs name.
Would they be able to detect that i have been plagarising off this?

Thanks

HSC
Uni Grad
Why not just change it a little bit to be safe?

But it's certainly possible that it may detect it, yes.

HSC
Uni Grad
What school even checks for plagiarism lol, are these like super srs private schools?

LonelyWolf

HSC
What school even checks for plagiarism lol, are these like super srs private schools?
Yeah, its a private school, they only do this for year 12. I don't acutally know the extent to which they check everything.

pony_magician

townie for worst user
HSC
My school usually doesn't have check plagiarism because most of time, it's super obvious when someone has
I know they use it when they aren't sure though.

nae_13

Premium Member
HSC
Apparently our English teachers just read a shit ton of papers from the internet and go browsing, so they know when something suspicious crops up. Oh, the joys of an under-funded public school...

ibbi00

HSC
You don't need to pay for a program to detect plagiarism, a quick Google search of the suspected material enclosed by inverted commas is enough.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
This is another one commonly used:

http://turnitin.com/static/index.php

LonlyWolf said:
I'm using one or two paragraphs
This is a huge amount to be plagiarising. And it defeats the point of doing the assignment. Use their general idea for that paragraph if you must, but seriously, have some class and just write something else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)