How universal/international is the study of law? (1 Viewer)

GL1001

HSC
Will my torts course be the same at ANU, UWS, Harvard, American university of Beirut, etc?

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
Um there will be some similarities but because they are in different jurisdictions there will also be some differences. E.g. Australian and American law differ slightly for torts.

In relation to ANU and UWS the content should be the same, however, they might focus different aspects. For e.g. ANU might place a greater focus on duty of care whereas UWS might focus more on Damages. I am making up the focus by the way. Just giving examples.

enoilgam

HSC
Will my torts course be the same at ANU, UWS, Harvard, American university of Beirut, etc?
It depends on a variety of factors. For some areas of law, the law may not even be universal to the states (i.e. criminal law). Generally speaking, an Australian Law degree can crossover well with any country or jurisdiction based on the Common Law System (i.e. Britain, USA, Canada etc). A person holding an Australian law degree can join the bar in those countries if they take an equivalency course/exam. I'm pretty sure though that with the US, a lawyer must join the bar in each state (so a lawyer who is a member of the bar in Kentucky may not be able to practice in NY unless they join the NY bar).

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
^ Don't think you can get away with having an LLB in the States unfortunately... JD's are the in thing in the US at the moment...

you can most certainly practice in all countries of the Commonwealth that have inherited the UK system of Common Law... eg: Singapore, Hong Kong (big money!!!!), Canada, etc...

think you would need to do some form of bridging course if you wish to practice elsewhere... (don't hold me to this one, its best you talk to a representative in the area where you would wish to pursue admission; or maybe even the university you are applying for...)

There's also international opportunities where you may be able to use your legal qualifications on the world stage... eg: United Nations, International Court of Justice, International Criminal Court (need to be the creme de la creme for these institutions... being well respected, intelligent, coming from a school which is internationally recognised, lots of experience, etc is an absolute must)

I had a lecturer from the US for one of my summer subjects, so I am assuming that it is applicable... However, this individual was very, very well educated... (Phd well educated...)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)