How to Write Notes for Maths Exam (1 Viewer)

Ton5698

HSC
Okay so I just received my Maths marks back from a test and summing up, I didn't go so well... xD
Im currently trying hard to improve my Maths results and I wonder if anyone has a method and style of taking down notes (from the questions failed) in a Maths test.
Any help would be much needed and appreciated!
Discuss your problems with Maths here as well!

luvglee4lyfe

HSC
What i usually do is i see if the question that i couldnt do was a common "standard" question - if it is I just practise it over and over until i can do it. If its not and there's a special "technique" that I havent seen before, I note it down :)

jazzawhat

HSC
If you're struggling I would suggest getting a little notebook and writing down all basic formulas/techniques for the topic. For the more difficult questions copy down an example as well as how you did it and any additional notes. Idk, that's what works for me :)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Okay so I just received my Maths marks back from a test and summing up, I didn't go so well... xD
Im currently trying hard to improve my Maths results and I wonder if anyone has a method and style of taking down notes (from the questions failed) in a Maths test.
Make a list of common errors. This will be your new best friend.

I personally didn't have any notes for Mathematics at all, just my workbook where I did questions.

But before exams, I did have a sheet of paper with a list of common things I found that I often forgot.

Evertone

HSC
Just to complement the aforementioned counsels; acronyms seem an efficacious way, for me at least, to remember said formulas, techniques and/or methods.

enoilgam

HSC
I didnt really have notes for maths, just a standard sheet with formulas and maybe a few little reminders. I found practice was pretty much the best way to prepare for maths. That might sound a little bit obvious, but I never really was a fan of notes with Maths.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Just my 2 cents, maths is about practicing techniques, not about memorising or understanding notes.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Just my 2 cents, maths is about practicing techniques, not about memorising or understanding notes.
I agree with the 'not about memorising' (though some degree or memorising is needed), but I disagree with the part about it being just practising techniques.

You do need notes and theory to apply knowledge to unfamiliar problems. Practising techniques (by doing problems I presume) can get you far, but not far enough to do problems that require deeper understanding and theory.

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
My advice to you is use the maths homework questions and the teacher's notes/ examples as the framework for forming your notes. In Maths you have to understand definitions and theory e.g. what absolute value, what is the product rule, superannuation etc. Practice makes perfect. Rote learn the theory ( memorize it). Do every textbook questions.

iEatOysters

HSC
Notes are a waste of time for maths. Remember the formulas and then do questions. If you do this, you should be fine. [Well, this works for junior maths]

R4diance

HSC
Keep a consistent work ethic before exams. Try past papers if possible, and challenge yourself with the more difficult questions in your textbook.
Practice, practice and practice :)

luvglee4lyfe

HSC
One more thing, I started doing trials past papers in the beginning of term2 even though I couldnt do soem questions. I think its beneficial for future HSC'ers to know that your Maths trials are 3hrs long so you can't just do them all in the term 2-3 holidays. So start early and do the ones you can do! As for HSC'ers like me, I think the best way to go now is to review past papers you've done and "note" down common mistakes (as countless others have stated already). hope I helped :)

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
The key to going well in exams is practising what you've learnt. If you haven't been given a hand out already of what's in your test, go through your maths book and make a list of what you've done throughout the year. Cross them off as you study each topic - even if you know you aced it in your topic test, go back and revise because chances are you have forgotten it. I good way to study is going through and completing chapter reviews in your textbook and doing maths online (mathsonline.com.au). Not only does this website have loads of questions, but goes through with notes how to complete each step. There may also be summary notes online or at the back of your textbook.
Hope it helps :)

v1

HSC
Make a list of common errors. This will be your new best friend.

I personally didn't have any notes for Mathematics at all, just my workbook where I did questions.

But before exams, I did have a sheet of paper with a list of common things I found that I often forgot.
+1
I also never wrote any 'notes' on maths only countless workbooks with questions and noted questions that i got wrong
also good to have pure understanding so that you can derive formulas if you forget

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
My advice to you is use the maths homework questions and the teacher's notes/ examples as the framework for forming your notes. In Maths you have to understand definitions and theory e.g. what absolute value, what is the product rule, superannuation etc. Practice makes perfect. Rote learn the theory ( memorize it). Do every textbook questions.
Mate, are you serious?

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
Mate, are you serious?
I know my teacher expects us to complete every question in the exersise. Every holidays she takes our books and checks every single question, every letter etc. and whatever we don't do we get a sticky note on our books with the missing questions. We have to catch up or we get detention and our parents get called.
But I guess it's what you have to do to get a band 6

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I know my teacher expects us to complete every question in the exersise. Every holidays she takes our books and checks every single question, every letter etc. and whatever we don't do we get a sticky note on our books with the missing questions.
What textbook do you do? Some textbooks cover the content so vaguely that every single question should be done. Others cover it so deeply that doing every single question is an impractical method of studying.

We have to catch up or we get detention and our parents get called.
Personally, I rarely did the homework my teacher assigned. Rather, I did whatever questions for topics I felt I was still a bit rocky with, and a couple of revision questions here and there to prevent me from forgetting content. I felt that this was more effective for me than drilling questions (though some drilling is required to develop speed).

But I guess it's what you have to do to get a band 6
Not exactly, it's not something that you HAVE to do. But I do think it's the 'easy way' of guaranteeing that students are doing questions, which can lead to a Band 6.

However, there's a problem associated with this strict method.

1. Students get loaded with work and cannot complete it in time.

2. They copy off friends in order to 'complete' it on time, and sacrifice actual 'absorption' of content.

3. They gain nothing/little.

SiddyGandhi222

HSC
identify your common errors and work on them. Apart from formulas there's not much you can do, the best way to get better is to solve.

wtfnoob123

HSC
Hey man!

Back in year 8 and 9 i wasn't doing so well in maths, i was good at English though.. hated my self for it - but the way i improved was constantly doing questions, whether it be from text books or worksheets, or even timing yourself completing a past paper with worked solutions so that the ones you dont know about - you can self learn, this technique really helped me and it should benefit you as well! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)