How to work faster in exam? (1 Viewer)

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
I just had my 3u test today and It was fairly easy for me as I had done alot of past papers but I left out alot of marks because I didn't have time..I knew how to do them but Just not enough time. I have noticed this has happened to me 2nd time for 3u. I know the content but I just cant seem to finish the test. I try to work as fast as I can.

Also my paper difficult is around par to baulko and james ruse I reckon and I am getting ~66-70% for 3u..but If I did have time to finish I would be hitting 80%

How can I improve on this?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I just had my 3u test today and It was fairly easy for me as I had done alot of past papers but I left out alot of marks because I didn't have time..I knew how to do them but Just not enough time. I have noticed this has happened to me 2nd time for 3u. I know the content but I just cant seem to finish the test. I try to work as fast as I can.

Also my paper difficult is around par to baulko and james ruse I reckon and I am getting ~66-70% for 3u..but If I did have time to finish I would be hitting 80%

Practice and redo the questions you struggle with (have another book specifically for the questions you struggle with and focus on the questions in that book)

integral95

HSC

One advice is to skip the questions that you can't do straight away and get back to them later, this may sound obvious, but the issue is that the question could somehow "absorb" you while you're not really "warmed-up" in the beginning of the exam,which means you're working a bit slower than what you're really capable of.

leehuan

HSC
After doing a few past papers without anything, try to do them under timed conditions. Working too slowly may prove detrimental.

Hence integral95's advice though. Skip anything you get stuck on too quickly

HSC
While skipping harder questions and redoing questions is great advice, I personally found that the best way to have perfect timing in maths tests is to do as many papers as you can. This is because everyone's exam technique is different when it comes to maximising marks under timed conditions. If you know your paper's difficulty is close to ruse/baulkho, do those papers (doesn't matter if they're old) because once you get into the habit of sitting under timed conditions, you will automatically come up with the best technique for yourself. If you don't have enough Ruse/Baulkho papers, do papers from other schools, or your own school's papers if you can.

leehuan

HSC
While skipping harder questions and redoing questions is great advice, I personally found that the best way to have perfect timing in maths tests is to do as many papers as you can. This is because everyone's exam technique is different when it comes to maximising marks under timed conditions. If you know your paper's difficulty is close to ruse/baulkho, do those papers (doesn't matter if they're old) because once you get into the habit of sitting under timed conditions, you will automatically come up with the best technique for yourself. If you don't have enough Ruse/Baulkho papers, do papers from other schools, or your own school's papers if you can.
He probably did past papers without the timed conditions.

This is because you never start with time conditions. You need to know how to do the question first before you try battling with time.

HSC
He probably did past papers without the timed conditions.

This is because you never start with time conditions. You need to know how to do the question first before you try battling with time.
True. I meant that you should do papers under timed conditions. But as Rathin stated, he knewhow to do most of the questions, so I don't think content is the problem...

si2136

HSC
N/A
The questions can't be all different. Look for the main idea and concepts in the question and work on it. There are always shortcuts.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Rathin - without indicating with some detail why you could not finish, all advice given are based on speculation on where you may have fallen short. To get meaningful advice you should provide a clearer picture of the true situation. You have to help them help you. Even a post of your actual exam workbook could be revealing.

What I'm saying is, people seeking help or advice often offer a minimum of background info - so how are they to expect meaningful advice?

Last edited:

ragingcurry

HSC
You should practice doing questions under time limits. When you do your maths homework try to set a time limit for yourself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)