How to start assignments early? (1 Viewer)

Tiernan

HSC
N/A
With assignments I tend to procrastinate and leave them late, and for this, I have to stay up late in order to finish them
Please help, what should I do?

gwilymprice

HSC
Start them early.
Haha yeah this ^

The day you get the assignment notice, just go home and write up a plan, like if you have 4 weeks or whatever break it into chunks, with deadlines each week for how much you want to have completed at that point. I would try and finish it a week before the due date, so I could edit, and add extra things and whatnot when I thought of them! Hope this helps :)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Get into the habit of creating assignment milestones for yourself so it motivates you to finish earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
A simple solution: whenever you procrastinate, think about the pain of staying up late in order to finish them, then keep working on your assignment. Also break your assignment into manageable chunks, and set yourself an imaginary due date a few days earlier than the actual due date, so you will always finish early and have time to proofread and perfect it to maximise your marks. Hope this helps:)

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Turning off and removing all your distractions :)

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Lock yourself in and let the basementism begin. Before you know it, you can begin the snaking with your peers.

Student 1: Hey man, have you started XYZ assignment?
You: Nah, we have heaps of time left. The assignment is pretty easy.

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
Lock yourself in and let the basementism begin. Before you know it, you can begin the snaking with your peers.

is there a snaking how-to thread i can find on this forum? i want to succeed the hsc

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC

omg lol
Is that how you topped your subs

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
I just pretend it's due earlier than the actual due date. (Jokes I still leave my assignments to the last few days)

Also...

is there a snaking how-to thread i can find on this forum? i want to succeed the hsc
I don't understand this mentality. HSC success is as much dependent on your own ability as it is your cohort. Who cares if someone out ranks you? If they do it's because they are likely better at the subject and probably deserve their rank. If you can't get to the top ranks by your own merit without tricking your cohort somehow then you don't deserve that rank.

Although if this was a joke that rant looked pretty stupid eh :haha:

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
i just pretend it's due earlier than the actual due date. (jokes i still leave my assignments to the last few days)

also...

I don't understand this mentality. Hsc success is as much dependent on your own ability as it is your cohort. Who cares if someone out ranks you? If they do it's because they are likely better at the subject and probably deserve their rank. If you can't get to the top ranks by your own merit without tricking your cohort somehow then you don't deserve that rank.

Although if this was a joke that rant looked pretty stupid eh :haha:

hahahaha :p

enoilgam

HSC
Get into the habit of creating assignment milestones for yourself so it motivates you to finish earlier.
This is pretty much what I do. Throughout uni and HS I always started assignments earlier because it's less stressful and less risky (you never know what can happen at the last minute). I break down the work into much smaller and more manageable pieces. This encourages you to start earlier, because you only need to do small portions so it doesnt feel as daunting. For example, this semester I had to write a 10,000 word report for one of my subjects. I set weekly aims of where I wanted to be on the assignment - by breaking it down, this minimised the work I needed to do each night and I could vary it depending on how I was feeling. By breaking it down, ultimately I could work on like 200-500 word chunks at a time, which was barely anything. Altogether, I spent heaps of time on the assignment, but because I spread it out so much, it really didnt feel that intense. A lot of my mates left it until late in the semester and it was a nightmare for them.

That being said, some people prefer leaving assignments to the last minute because they can work better under pressure. Whilst that doesnt work for me, I agree with the rationale. I'd just ensure that you are adequately prepared in terms of knowing what you need to do and the amount of work required. There is a big difference between writing a 1,000 word essay in a day without even knowing what you are going to write and going into it with a clear idea of how to write it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)