How to sleep v2 (1 Viewer)

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
I dont want to blame my performance today based on the fact that i got basically no sleep but its undeniable that it somewhat affected my critical thinking skills because of some level of fatigue... : (
Its not like i was unprepared Yesterday:
- i was feeling prepared for today and felt good about how i was going in papers, i did a lot of them and did well in past hsc ones
- i was also tired because i had sports yesterday
- I wasn't stressing about the exam
- stayed away from screens before bed, no caffeine ever etc all that stuff
It was more like an internal thing, i wasnt thinking about the exam but i wasn't able to sleep and had a crazy high hearbeat. I don't know how or why.
Before I was able to sleep the night before exams but now its just not happening even though i am well prepared.
Does anyone have any other tips please, i dont want my performance to be poor because of the fact that i couldn't sleep the night before even though theres no reason why i can't sleep.

Unovan

ATAR loading...
HSC
It seems like you're taking all the right steps so maybe reach out to your GP or an online medical service or something about insomnia

nsw..wollongong

HSC
im telling u i swear on melatonin tablets u dont even need a prescription, these are the ones i use:
Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 9.56.13 pm.png

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
It seems like you're taking all the right steps so maybe reach out to your GP or an online medical service or something about insomnia
Can’t do that during exams rn would take too long

im telling u i swear on melatonin tablets u dont even need a prescription, these are the ones i use:
View attachment 40626
I’ll try my parents don’t want me taking tablets but this one’s natural so I’ll see

dumNerd

HSC
I dont want to blame my performance today based on the fact that i got basically no sleep but its undeniable that it somewhat affected my critical thinking skills because of some level of fatigue... : (
Its not like i was unprepared Yesterday:
- i was feeling prepared for today and felt good about how i was going in papers, i did a lot of them and did well in past hsc ones
- i was also tired because i had sports yesterday
- I wasn't stressing about the exam
- stayed away from screens before bed, no caffeine ever etc all that stuff
It was more like an internal thing, i wasnt thinking about the exam but i wasn't able to sleep and had a crazy high hearbeat. I don't know how or why.
Before I was able to sleep the night before exams but now its just not happening even though i am well prepared.
Does anyone have any other tips please, i dont want my performance to be poor because of the fact that i couldn't sleep the night before even though theres no reason why i can't sleep.
its just stress. tbh there's really no fix to it unless u take like sleeping pills, just make sure you don't try sleeping earlier than your usual time otherwise you will be awake long after.

also I know it sucks but forget about today's exam or it will haunt you

band6yesplease

HSC
Sometimes the stress just really makes it difficult to sleep- particularly the night before an exam. I get the same thing.

you seem to have figured out the main points ie getting ready before sleep but I find it helpful to do some stuff when I'm trying to sleep:

- Make your room as dark as possible- close your blinds, turn of hallway light or whatever NO LIGHT (literally wear an eye mask I do sometimes and I fall asleep sm faster, mine is pink I recommend hehe)
- Try Box Breathing (breath in, visualise a line drawing the bottom of the square for 4 seconds; breathe out, visualise the line moving up the side of the square for 4 seconds and keep going over and over till your breathing is regulated)
- Another breathing technique my mum taught me when my anxiety is bad I do a thing call Pull it down, Push it away (Pull down your problem like its a heavy piece of machinery at the top of a chain and when it's in front of you PUSH IT AWAY- get it out of your mind. CLose your eyes and literally visualise it.)
- Make up scenarios, it sounds dumb but i sometimes imagine that I'm seeing my sister for the first time in 20 years or something in a bar and the visualisation somehow turns into a dream lol
- Listen to calming music then when it makes you annoyed turn it off and you'll enjoy the silence more
- If you find it hard to sleep in silence use a fan and it will make your room cold (so you can snuggle up in your doona)
- Is your room hot? make it colder you can't sleep in hot temperatures its not good for you

Sleeping pills is a last resort tbh and insomnia is rarer than people think jsut try these methods in conjunction with the others. Remember at the end of the day they're just exams and everything will work out
Something I always think: everything genuinely happens for a reason and itll all work out the way it is supposed to. You've got this

Last edited:

nsw..wollongong

HSC
I’ll try my parents don’t want me taking tablets but this one’s natural so I’ll see
yeah i was worried it was gonna affect my other meds but my gp said they're the best natural option that doesn't even interrupt ur body's natural production of melatonin, it just stimulates it which doesn't have any negative effect, hence why u can just get it over the counter. one bottle lasts me months, def consider it

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
also I know it sucks but forget about today's exam or it will haunt you
yeah it just sucks that my performance was so diff compared to my prac papers like i literally blanked out in the easy stuff but ill try my best to forget it

Something I always think: everything genuinely happens for a reason and itll all work out the way it is supposed to. You've got this
honestly thats what keeps me going. Thank you for all ur advice

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
yeah it just sucks that my performance was so diff compared to my prac papers like i literally blanked out in the easy stuff but ill try my best to forget it

Have you tried high-intensity exercise before bed?

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
i mean i dont think excercise is the reason- because i was already tired and did have sports yesterday. and for my english exam i did do that before sleeping, but to no end. its def more to do with stress ig.

constexpr

HSC
high intensity exercise before bed is not a good idea, heart rate will be sky-rocketing... if you're going to do that, do it at least 2 hours before otherwise you'll just keep awake longer

dumNerd

HSC

haha HSC exams were stinkers for me aswell where everything that went wrong had nothing to do with my knowledge of the content lol. In chem I fixated the whole time on this dude clicking his pen beside me resulting in me making a lot of sillies for the easy q earlier on (got my raw marks). In ucat I couldn't sleep the day before (got 2 hours of sleep) and went from consistent 3.2k to 3k on the day. For english went from getting 18/20 task 1 and 19/20 trials in SA for school (top 10 school) to 12/20 on the actual day (which I can only assume is cos of my hand writing). What I'm saying is, don't let any bad shit affect your future exams because in a year you legit won't be thinking about HSC at all (only reason I'm on this HSC site is to sell my resources - PM FOR CHEAP RESOURCES)

also I don't want to disvalue anyone else advice but maybe you are just overthinking it? IMO the more you overthink it the less likely you will fall asleep.

nsw..wollongong

HSC
haha HSC exams were stinkers for me aswell where everything that went wrong had nothing to do with my knowledge of the content lol. In chem I fixated the whole time on this dude clicking his pen beside me resulting in me making a lot of sillies for the easy q earlier on (got my raw marks). In ucat I couldn't sleep the day before (got 2 hours of sleep) and went from consistent 3.2k to 3k on the day. For english went from getting 18/20 task 1 and 19/20 trials in SA for school (top 10 school) to 12/20 on the actual day (which I can only assume is cos of my hand writing). What I'm saying is, don't let any bad shit affect your future exams because in a year you legit won't be thinking about HSC at all (only reason I'm on this HSC site is to sell my resources - PM FOR CHEAP RESOURCES)

also I don't want to disvalue anyone else advice but maybe you are just overthinking it? IMO the more you overthink it the less likely you will fall asleep.
and u still got 99.85.
i don't understand

dumNerd

HSC
and u still got 99.85.
i don't understand
yeh of course I'm happy with my mark to an extent but with my internals should have definitely been a 99.95 (i fell short HARD in english, internal was 95 and external was 89)

nsw..wollongong

HSC
yeh of course I'm happy with my mark to an extent but with my internals should have definitely been a 99.95 (i fell short HARD in english, internal was 95 and external was 89)
how did english only affect u by .10 that's crazy well done man

dumNerd

HSC
quick q- thats what i have been doing does it rlly have that big of an effect?
yes huge impact just sleep on time bro. Every time I have ever tried sleeping early I have been unable to sleep. If you are keen on sleeping early make sure in the future you spend the 2 months before redoing your sleep schedule (this is what I did for my HSC)

...xD

HSC
Maybe try reading a really boring book before bed or smth? Fastest way to get sleepy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)