How to sleep v2 (1 Viewer)

constexpr

HSC
also, from my experience, the biggest fail-safe method of having a good nights sleep before an exam is to absolutely exhaust yourself by the time it's 6 pm

this usually involves cutting your sleep-short by 4 hours two nights before exam, going to bed at like 6pm, waking up at 4-6am with a very good night of rest..
it'll basically make you a vegetable the night before the exam, but you will get good night rest

idk if i explained well but lets say you usually go to bed at like 12 am - 1 am
you set alarm for 4-5am, just enough sleep to last till 6pm (by then you will feel like death)

then get good night sleep

dumNerd

HSC
im ngl i cuddle my pillow and make up a scenario in my head before i sleep and i have absolutely no shame in that im convinced at least 90% of the global population does that and if u say otherwise then ur a fat liar
good suggestion but OP just do what you normally do to sleep it's not that big of a deal. When you try out all these new methods all your doing is worrying yourself more.

nsw..wollongong

HSC
good suggestion but OP just do what you normally do to sleep it's not that big of a deal. When you try out all these new methods all your doing is worrying yourself more.
fr honestly it sounds simple asf but just be as calm as possible going into bed, that could be thru calming music or praying or breathing exercises or literally anything

dumNerd

HSC
how did english only affect u by .10 that's crazy well done man
oh and lets say you are unable to sleep, keep in mind only a few subjects in the HSC actually require you to think so fool yourself into thinking it's fine. I once had a massive migraine right before my chemistry prac exam - I convinced myself that chemistry is piss easy and went auto-pilot and it turned out really well - on the other hand before my ucat I was researching what would happend if I only got 2 hours of sleep and stuff and actively thinking about it in the exam

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
oh and lets say you are unable to sleep, keep in mind only a few subjects in the HSC actually require you to think so fool yourself into thinking it's fine. I once had a massive migraine right before my chemistry prac exam - I convinced myself that chemistry is piss easy and went auto-pilot and it turned out really well - on the other hand before my ucat I was researching what would happend if I only got 2 hours of sleep and stuff and actively thinking about it in the exam
Imo, for humanities you can get as little sleep as you want cause it's mostly rote memorisation. For maths and sciences that require more critical thinking, you need to be really sharp and restful.

dumNerd

HSC
Imo, for humanities you can get as little sleep as you want cause it's mostly rote memorisation. For maths and sciences that require more critical thinking, you need to be really sharp and restful.
i kinda disagree. For chemistry/physics and X2 if you have studied hard enough I think you can still autopilot your way through most of the questions (as you have seen most of them before) as long as you are not actively stressing about it.

synthesisFR

しゃけ
HSC
also, from my experience, the biggest fail-safe method of having a good nights sleep before an exam is to absolutely exhaust yourself by the time it's 6 pm

this usually involves cutting your sleep-short by 4 hours two nights before exam, going to bed at like 6pm, waking up at 4-6am with a very good night of rest..
it'll basically make you a vegetable the night before the exam, but you will get good night rest

idk if i explained well but lets say you usually go to bed at like 12 am - 1 am
you set alarm for 4-5am, just enough sleep to last till 6pm (by then you will feel like death)

then get good night sleep
yeah facts i couldn't sleep at all for two nights bc of english paper 1 & 2 hsc lol and then thursday night just died in bed bc i was so tired

Literally the same thing happened in trials for math and english (somehow chem is unaffected by this) and i still managed to do quite well- hoping the same happens this time.

Honestly kinda mad that i didn't learn from trials and set up a good plan for hsc but it is what it is. ill just hope ive done well in everything so far as ive already put it past me and just focus on acing the rest of my exams.

yeah i def agree

Thanks guys for all the help!

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
i kinda disagree. For chemistry/physics and X2 if you have studied hard enough I think you can still autopilot your way through most of the questions (as you have seen most of them before) as long as you are not actively stressing about it.
But sometimes they ask really left of field questions that you really need to think your way through regardless of how much you studied. I think less sleep can definitely take away from your IQ on any given day which can make you more careless and slow than you would be.

dumNerd

HSC
But sometimes they ask really left of field questions that you really need to think your way through regardless of how much you studied. I think less sleep can definitely take away from your IQ on any given day which can make you more careless and slow than you would be.
yeh for sure 100% you will not be able to do the hard questions to your full potential. But it's best to cut your losses and not stress about it.

nsw..wollongong

HSC
yeh for sure 100% you will not be able to do the hard questions to your full potential. But it's best to cut your losses and not stress about it.
oh my god how did u get 12/20 for short answers then 20/20 for every single essay that's crazy??!!?

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Sometimes the stress just really makes it difficult to sleep- particularly the night before an exam. I get the same thing.

you seem to have figured out the main points ie getting ready before sleep but I find it helpful to do some stuff when I'm trying to sleep:

- Make your room as dark as possible- close your blinds, turn of hallway light or whatever NO LIGHT (literally wear an eye mask I do sometimes and I fall asleep sm faster, mine is pink I recommend hehe)
- Try Box Breathing (breath in, visualise a line drawing the bottom of the square for 4 seconds; breathe out, visualise the line moving up the side of the square for 4 seconds and keep going over and over till your breathing is regulated)
- Another breathing technique my mum taught me when my anxiety is bad I do a thing call Pull it down, Push it away (Pull down your problem like its a heavy piece of machinery at the top of a chain and when it's in front of you PUSH IT AWAY- get it out of your mind. CLose your eyes and literally visualise it.)
- Make up scenarios, it sounds dumb but i sometimes imagine that I'm seeing my sister for the first time in 20 years or something in a bar and the visualisation somehow turns into a dream lol
- Listen to calming music then when it makes you annoyed turn it off and you'll enjoy the silence more
- If you find it hard to sleep in silence use a fan and it will make your room cold (so you can snuggle up in your doona)
- Is your room hot? make it colder you can't sleep in hot temperatures its not good for you

Sleeping pills is a last resort tbh and insomnia is rarer than people think jsut try these methods in conjunction with the others. Remember at the end of the day they're just exams and everything will work out
Something I always think: everything genuinely happens for a reason and itll all work out the way it is supposed to. You've got this
This is 100% good advice @synthesisFR you should put everything away before going to bed and actively try calm down via breathing
The enemy of your sleep rn is stress and ok it's hard to switch off (as someone who's prone to anxiety) but just focus on slowing everything down (although I'm ngl hyperfocus can get annoying af too)

In the end it's a fundamental requirement for your body and you will naturally do it without overthinking it - just try lie in bed and don't get annoyed when you don't fall asleep :(

eduiwqh23

HSC
I dont want to blame my performance today based on the fact that i got basically no sleep but its undeniable that it somewhat affected my critical thinking skills because of some level of fatigue... : (
Its not like i was unprepared Yesterday:
- i was feeling prepared for today and felt good about how i was going in papers, i did a lot of them and did well in past hsc ones
- i was also tired because i had sports yesterday
- I wasn't stressing about the exam
- stayed away from screens before bed, no caffeine ever etc all that stuff
It was more like an internal thing, i wasnt thinking about the exam but i wasn't able to sleep and had a crazy high hearbeat. I don't know how or why.
Before I was able to sleep the night before exams but now its just not happening even though i am well prepared.
Does anyone have any other tips please, i dont want my performance to be poor because of the fact that i couldn't sleep the night before even though theres no reason why i can't sleep.
Bruv just go to sleep it ain't that hard

clive guo

HSC
I dont want to blame my performance today based on the fact that i got basically no sleep but its undeniable that it somewhat affected my critical thinking skills because of some level of fatigue... : (
Its not like i was unprepared Yesterday:
- i was feeling prepared for today and felt good about how i was going in papers, i did a lot of them and did well in past hsc ones
- i was also tired because i had sports yesterday
- I wasn't stressing about the exam
- stayed away from screens before bed, no caffeine ever etc all that stuff
It was more like an internal thing, i wasnt thinking about the exam but i wasn't able to sleep and had a crazy high hearbeat. I don't know how or why.
Before I was able to sleep the night before exams but now its just not happening even though i am well prepared.
Does anyone have any other tips please, i dont want my performance to be poor because of the fact that i couldn't sleep the night before even though theres no reason why i can't sleep.
Hello fellow insomniac, it's tough but eventually you'll get over it hopefully.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)