How to feed myself on $50 p/w budget on food? (1 Viewer)

akurway

HSC
Hi, I want to see if I can feed my self for $50 bucks a week, if so what should I get?

Thanks

K4M1N3

HSC
A $10 kettle, a supply of water, and $40 worth of 2 minute noodles.

akurway

HSC
Asian noodles with def be on my list, I will eat some during dinners or make stir fry with them.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
It's not that difficult to do, you just have to plan your meals for the week sensibly. If you can buy everything for the week in one go, you're more likely to stay in budget. And never go shopping hungry.

Use the same ingredient two or three times, so you use it all up and don't throw anything away. Soups are extremely cheap to make, and your nutrition doesn't have to suffer. A few chopped veges, some legumes (lentils, chickpeas, beans, whatever), some stock and a can of tomatoes. Bam. Lunch or dinner for 3-4 meals. You can freeze single serves and use them next week, so you're not eating the same meal every single day.

Buy your fruit and veg from a grocer or a market (not a supermarket). Buy what's in season- it's cheaper.

If you want meat, buy chicken legs from a chicken shop. I've seen them for like $2 a kilo when on special. Buy a little bit of mince and bulk it up with beans.

$50 for one person is doable, if you plan ahead and love your freezer.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Basically turn vegetarian because meat will no longer be an option. Get breads, lentils, beans, rice and every type of vegetable and fruit (because they're cheap and you can use them in just about any meal); and pick up a few sauces to whack with your meals.

It's do-able; I shop with a friend which we share the food we buy, and then usually just cook meals for each other - $200/fortnight gets us meat in there too. By the end of the fortnight the cupboards/freezer is almost completely bare, but we never go hungry.

HSC
you could make 3kg of lasagne for like $20

thats six days worth

$10 left over for a kg of sausages and 2 loaves of bread

HSC
Basically turn vegetarian because meat will no longer be an option. Get breads, lentils, beans, rice and every type of vegetable and fruit (because they're cheap and you can use them in just about any meal); and pick up a few sauces to whack with your meals.

It's do-able; I shop with a friend which we share the food we buy, and then usually just cook meals for each other - $200/fortnight gets us meat in there too. By the end of the fortnight the cupboards/freezer is almost completely bare, but we never go hungry.
yeah we can tell

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Another trick is go home for dinner once a week. I used to let Mum know I was coming and she'd do a roast or steak and chips or something =)

HSC
im not welcome home for food because i eat it all and drink all the beer and usually steal some cutlery or clean bedsheets or something

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
See, the whole time I've been living out of home we've never been properly poor. Maybe next year, when I'm the only one working full-time.

I think the most difficult thing is keeping your groceries down when you need to buy toiletries. Shampoo is expensive.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
50 is tough, but doable if you shop at the right places, with the right products and prices.

Look for sales, try ALDI, you'll save some money if you buy there.

Plan out your meals, search up prices, go buy the stuff, cook, eat, win!

kfnmpah

HSC
I live on close to that. and i still eat meat.
Buy a homebrand bag of porridge -900g for $1.00 that's over a week's worth of breakfast
buy 2kg of chicken- that's $14 and will last the week (chicken is $7/kg at the woolworths near me, dunno about you, but there shold be a bulk type place near you)
and buy a bag of brown rice- 2kg for like $5
and buy 2 loaves of bread- $7
buy 3 big tins of homebrand tuna - $5
that's only $32 dollars and will last you breakfast lunch and dinner, if not more.
It's easy, brah. With the remaining $18 buy vegetables or muesli bars or something.

There's no need to sacrifice your health to eat on a budget.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
I live on close to that. and i still eat meat.
Buy a homebrand bag of porridge -900g for $1.00 that's over a week's worth of breakfast
buy 2kg of chicken- that's $14 and will last the week (chicken is $7/kg at the woolworths near me, dunno about you, but there shold be a bulk type place near you)
and buy a bag of brown rice- 2kg for like $5
and buy 2 loaves of bread- $7
buy 3 big tins of homebrand tuna - $5
that's only $32 dollars and will last you breakfast lunch and dinner, if not more.
It's easy, brah. With the remaining $18 buy vegetables or muesli bars or something.

There's no need to sacrifice your health to eat on a budget.
This. Basically what I did for three years.

A good lamb cut that is relatively cheap is the forequarter chop. You can get six for between $10 and $20, all you need to do is salt slightly while in the pan, add frozen veggies... Done. They're relatively large in size, too.

MiGoreng noodles are the staple. My improvised MiGoreng meal:

Grab a six pack of the noodles ($2) - a capsicum, mushrooms ($2-$4 punnet), buk choy ($2 for a large bundle), tomato's (preferably cherry tomatos - $2~) and your choice of meat (chicken thigh or crab meat, seafood highlighter will do and you get a shit load for $2) - make sure the meat can be boiled though.
- Boil some water.
- Chuck it all in at different intervals (depending on how long it takes to cook) and strain after.
- Add some soy (my favourite being sweet soy).
- Add cheese if you like and enjoy.

Basically add any veggie/meat you like that goes well together and can boil.

AVOID the packet flavours. Those are really REALLY bad for you.

I've managed to feed myself and my Dad (big Samoan dude) on this recipe for about $12. Just added a little extra of everything and an extra packet of noodles. Easy.

Last edited:
HSC
This. Basically what I did for three years.

A good lamb cut that is relatively cheap is the forequarter chop. You can get six for between $10 and $20, all you need to do is salt slightly while in the pan, add frozen veggies... Done. They're relatively large in size, too.

MiGoreng noodles are the staple. My improvised MiGoreng meal:

Grab a six pack of the noodles ($2) - a capsicum, mushrooms ($2-$4 punnet), buk choy ($2 for a large bundle), tomato's (preferably cherry tomatos - $2~) and your choice of meat (chicken thigh or crab meat, seafood highlighter will do and you get a shit load for $2) - make sure the meat can be boiled though.
- Boil some water.
- Chuck it all in at different intervals (depending on how long it takes to cook) and strain after.
- Add some soy (my favourite being sweet soy).
- Add cheese if you like and enjoy.

Basically add any veggie/meat you like that goes well together and can boil.

AVOID the packet flavours. Those are really REALLY bad for you.

I've managed to feed myself and my Dad (big Samoan dude) on this recipe for about $12. Just added a little extra of everything and an extra packet of noodles. Easy.
lamb is like $30 a kg lol why would you eat lamb on a budget

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Those frozen prawns, those small ones are pretty cheap, around $10 for a packet of 1KG from woolies iirc and taste alright, so that's something good which you can add, and will last you more than a week if you have a variety

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
lamb is like $30 a kg lol why would you eat lamb on a budget
Depends on the cut. If you have time on your hands you can buy cheap cuts and cook em down in a casserole. Make 2-3 meals out of it and freeze the leftovers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)