How to calm down and actually study? (1 Viewer)

muramasa

HSC
I'm one of those people who just can't sit down and be still- I'm always moving around!
The problem is that this means I often can't sit down for more than 5 minutes without getting up and moving around again.
Its really problematic since I AM doing quite demanding subjects that require you to sit down and actually work...
Any advice?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
In this case, I think you can walk around and pretend to explain the subject to an imaginary friend/class mate, or pretending you are doing a speech on the topic, this way, it may allow you to absorb information better, another possible method is for you to record your notes in an audio format and listen to it while walking. Another possibility is for you to actually do some physical exercise that is of high intensity before you actually start studying, this will help to calm you down and make you physically, but not mentally tired for studying as long as you exercised in moderation. There are many possibilities, and a major one that can assist you is to focus on your goal and practice some self-discipline to have 30 minute study sessions with a study objective for each session and reward yourself upon achieving such objective. These are just some ideas to get you thinking on developing the most effective approaches towards studying smart to assist you:)Best wishes for this year:)

TrentsUnicorn

HSC
In this case, I think you can walk around and pretend to explain the subject to an imaginary friend/class mate, or pretending you are doing a speech on the topic, this way, it may allow you to absorb information better, another possible method is for you to record your notes in an audio format and listen to it while walking.
I agree with this, if you move around a lot then use that to your advantage! Record your notes and put them on your phone or whatever and go for a walk while listening to them. I'll pass on something one of my teachers always tells me: "Have a conversation". It doesn't have to be with a real person, it could be to a stuffed toy or yourself or anything! He reckons it'd be beneficial to TALK about something so you organise it and filter it properly in your mind, and this shows on paper- compared to people who just memorise notes and spit out generic answers.

Your study needs to revolved around you, not the other way around. But just have fun and yeah sometimes you will have to "calm down" a little, but don't let go of yourself for study. Good luck! :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm one of those people who just can't sit down and be still- I'm always moving around!
The problem is that this means I often can't sit down for more than 5 minutes without getting up and moving around again.
Its really problematic since I AM doing quite demanding subjects that require you to sit down and actually work...
Any advice?
You can record stuff and listen to it while pacing. Or make flash cards and do them while pacing.

Also, some high intensity exercise before you start can make you feel more settled. Or lots of breaks where you do physical exercise. I used to do fouettes in my kitchen for 5 mins in between switching subject study :p

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Any advice?
Haha I know how you feel! I think a lot of it's to do with concentration and focus. It's hard, but you need to "ease" yourself into studying/doing work for your subjects. The best advice I can give is:
- remove ALL distractions
- make a structured list of what you NEED to do and try your best to do it, because if you have a list of tasks there that's very regimented and need to be done, you'll subconsciously feel the pressure to do it (well I do at least LOL)
- discipline yourself. Allocate breaks every 30-40 minutes if you need it, or after you get significant portions of work done.
- put all your jumpy/extra energy into something more constructive than procrastination, i.e. exercise. Doing regular exercise will help you with concentration and improve your health.

I hope those tips will help :)

enoilgam

HSC
Any advice?
I have a feeling that your problem may be related to anxiety over the work. When a lot of people go to study, they feel overwhelmed by the amount they have to do or the sheer volume. I think it might be a good idea to spread your work out more and break it down into smaller and more achievable tasks. The mistake a lot of people make is they set too much work for one sitting. If you say, "I need to do 25 pages worth of notes tonight", it seems so daunting and people often avoid study because they dont want to fail to achieve that goal. By breaking it up (say 10 pages per night), the task is much more achievable and that will make it easier to complete. Once you have completed it, your confidence will go up, therefore encouraging you to return again the next night.

i feel ya
To be dead honest with you fawun, I have a feeling that you should be the one giving out the advice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)