How to achieve a band 6 in business studies, prelim and hsc. (1 Viewer)

gleeek

HSC
Any people who have completed or are completing business studies, do you have any tips or study tactics? I'm starting it next year and want to ace it.

Also give me information about the course in your opinion.

Thanks you're helping out a lot by answering

powlmao

Banned
HSC
The course is very dry but can be interesting.

Just be prepared to remember lots of notes, the course really is just remembering the syllabus

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
The devil is in the detail. There's so many small things to remember which are seemingly useless but could potentially be examined. I missed out on a band six in this subject (just) but for me my strategy was to try and think of as many examples to link back to the syllabus and then demonstrate a decent understanding and ability to apply content to real life.

WorryWartCob

HSC
- Annagrams for those pesky notes (PLERG = Profitability, Liquidity, Efficiency, Return on Capital, Growth)
- Study notes, complete each day after school
- Practice business reports continually
- know your case study/studies well.

A-Nonentity

HSC
I cannot Cannot Cannot Stress how Important it is to learn the syllabus

and I don't mean just ' know it' like every other subject.

Learn it work for word. legit if you put the syllabus into your long-term memory by learning a fews dot points each night, you have an 80% chance of success,
the other bit comes with case-study knowledge and applying it to practice questions
( case study being 15% and practice questions being 5%)

Business is as easy to Ace as it is to fail, like Ancient it cannot be learnt in one cramming session.
Learn it over time and revise through Acronyms and stuff.

do that and you will get a band 6 easy

( Credentials: 1st in course and a raw un-moderated un- aligned internal score of 92.)

Roy G Biv

HSC
N/A
I cannot Cannot Cannot Stress how Important it is to learn the syllabus

and I don't mean just ' know it' like every other subject.

Learn it work for word. legit if you put the syllabus into your long-term memory by learning a fews dot points each night, you have an 80% chance of success,
the other bit comes with case-study knowledge and applying it to practice questions
( case study being 15% and practice questions being 5%)

Business is as easy to Ace as it is to fail, like Ancient it cannot be learnt in one cramming session.

( Credentials: 1st in course and a raw un-moderated un- aligned internal score of 92.)
yeah i agree with this
memorise dot points, understand and learn what each dot point means, try and link as many dot points to case studies as you can, then practise on past papers.

michaeljennings

HSC

Yes, the key to doing well in business is memorising the syllabus word for word.
But I'd have to disagree with you a bit there, business is one of the most simple subjects to cram because its so straightforward

I recommend keeping up to date with business news, and find companies to use as case studies that you're genuinely interested in, because you'll find it much easier to recall and use them as examples in the extended response.

Don't go overboard with notemaking, make them at the end of each topic you do and keep them brief and concise.
And make sure you can write good business reports. Practice and hand them in until you're confident using headings, incorporating case studies etc.

natebrah1

HSC
Yeah learning the syllabus is pretty much essential...
I got to the point where i could talk back to myself every syllabus dot point for all 5 topics without looking and made sure i know what content referred to by each dot point. That way there is nothing that BOS could ask me that i didn't know (however its still sometimes easy to get thrown off in multiple choice and some essays/report questions) but practice makes almost perfect!

minzoir

HSC
Like everyone said, LEARN THE SYLLABUS.
But a massive thing is Terminology.
Learn what all of the businessy words mean. When I started the course I found it hard to keep up because I did not know the definition of the words so when listening in class or reading the textbook it was difficult to understand what is being said. Simple stuff like what are "accounts receivable", of course you learn the definitions as you do the course but make sure you put in the effort to know the terms and to understand them.
Another thing that I found extremely helpful was doing topic summaries ahead of classwork. This meant that I had a knowledge of the course before we learnt those parts in class and so classwork was basically revision. This was incredibly advantageous to my learning while it also gave me a much longer term knowledge of the course because it was implanted in my knowledge.
Hopefully this helped, Good luck!

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Make sure you pick some interesting case studies as well rather than using the standard ones such as QANTAS.

It shows that you have gone away and analysed a business from scratch while also raising the likelihood that you will find some interesting points that other students may not have raised.

Accuracy

HSC
N/A
How do i know if i have a band 6 report?? my teacher doesn't mark these things .. and how many do we need to know for the exam? is it like 1 for each subtopic?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)