How to ace english trials (1 Viewer)

teridax

HSC
N/A
Hey y'all! Specifically for the high-achievers who have completed their HSC, what did you exactly do to ace the english trials? I.e. what did it take to reach a mark of at least 90+/105? Really want to do well in this as english isn't my strongest subject.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
You need to practice answering the question and nothing but the question, resisting the temptation to splurge out everything that you know and be selective, relevant and succinct in your responses-basically, to get the best marks, you need to master answering the question-and that requires careful essay planning and meticulous analytical thinking about what materials and how to organise these ideas to answer the question as best as possible:)

Intrinsic

HSC
- Deconstruct the question + ALWAYS refer to it
- Demonstrate that you have a unique perspective of the question that corresponds with your arguments
- Practice essays - I had trouble with the amount of time I had to prepare for the trials so what I did was make a word document and listed all the questions I found on that particular topic from past trials and HSC. I simply wrote introductions to them, which included practicing how to deconstruct the question. While doing so, have a go at predicting what question the school will ask (check to see if there hasn't been any questions on a particular area of the syllabus - keep an eye out for patterns)
- Don't forget any feedback you have received from your teachers in relation to your practice essays and assignments - it is crucial to remain conscious in the exam to ensure that you don't repeat those mistakes
- Write legibly if possible (I lost ALOT of marks because my writing was simply difficult to decipher)
- Write your ass off - you need both quality (answering question/coherency) and quantity (depth) in your essay to nail it
- Don't stress, breathe in the exam and think clearly

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Bump!

I'm no high achiever, but what you can do for the Discovery short answer section is what I did for my half-yearlies.

I literally made a word document out of strawberrye's discovering discovery thread where she did a breakdown of the rubric. It really helped when coming to identifying the type of discovery in the image, extract, etc. Also if you look through Crobat's thread he posted up a document with a list of the common techniques used and their definitions.

You've probably heard it a million times but for Module B learn your texts very well whether its speeches, poems, etc. make sure that you know your quotes and main ideas.

Last edited:

sharoooooo

HSC
rofl

then how does one create an adaptable essay
Memorise an essay word for word, but the essay needs to have heaps of different elements of discovery within it (self discovery etc) so then it IS adaptable. Thats what I do...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)