How tf does uni grading work (1 Viewer)

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Does doing assignments means all my marks come from hand in assignments, meaning I won't ever need to cram for exams again - OR - will there be times that uni does tests/exams (E.g. like HSC?)

THANKS much love all uni people <3

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Generally speaking, you can expect to be assessed in different ways at university. There would be a wide variety of assignments and exams that you will need to complete in order to pass your units. In that sense, they can be considered similar to assignments and exams at HSC level, although they will obviously be more difficult and will specifically target your field of study. This also means that the specific types and requirements of such assignments and exams will depend on the specific degree(s) that you will be studying.

Examples of assignments and exams at university include:
  • Essays/reports
  • Presentations
  • Quizzes
  • Projects
  • Standard written exams
  • Practical exams
Some units may only feature assignments instead of both assignments and exams. Whether this will be the case, and the number of units to which this applies, again depend on the specific degree(s) that you will be studying. Some units may also require students to achieve a minimum mark in a particular assignment/exam in addition to achieving a sufficiently high overall mark for the unit.

Additionally, unless you find yourself in a situation where it is the only option, I would not recommend cramming for a university exam. This becomes especially important as you progress to the more challenging units of your degree(s), which tend to feature more difficult assignments/exams. Cramming can also limit your performance, which can be problematic if you have a high-achieving mindset. Instead, you should aim to allocate sufficient time to prepare for your exams, so that you can pass all your units and maximise your marks.

I hope this helps! :D

yanujw

HSC
There is exams, which would usually be a final exam and sometimes a mid-sem too. Find the subjects you need to do for the degree you want and search "[Unit code] unit outline" and you should be able to see the assessment structure.

AsuTeksu

Rising Renewal
HSC
In the few university units I did, one unit had no exam periods and it was all hand-ins. All work was individual, however, I did have one task where I had to peer mark the assignments that others handed in and that contributed to my overall mark/grade. Another unit had class tests only; a mid-semester, an end-of-semester and one during the official university exam period.

You may or may not have some tasks that don't contribute to your overall grade, but they must be completed since they are a hurdle requirement and you will fail the unit otherwise. This could be participation quizzes and whatnot. However, this does vary across universities.

You should aim for a HD where possible though (no pressure), because,,,, academic validation :D

Not sure how much my response contributes, but I'd say @jimmysmith560 summed it perfectly!

helloworld!

HSC
In the few university units I did, one unit had no exam periods and it was all hand-ins. All work was individual, however, I did have one task where I had to peer mark the assignments that others handed in and that contributed to my overall mark/grade. Another unit had class tests only; a mid-semester, an end-of-semester and one during the official university exam period.

You may or may not have some tasks that don't contribute to your overall grade, but they must be completed since they are a hurdle requirement and you will fail the unit otherwise. This could be participation quizzes and whatnot. However, this does vary across universities.

You should aim for a HD where possible though (no pressure), because,,,, academic validation :D

Not sure how much my response contributes, but I'd say @jimmysmith560 summed it perfectly!
waittt how have you already done uni units???

AsuTeksu

Rising Renewal
HSC
how’d you go? one of my friends did it last year and he seemed to really enjoy it
I scored a HD in my first unit and I finished my second unit a few weeks ago in the exam period so I'm waiting for those results, pretty sure I'm on par for a HD there too though. If I get a minimum D for my second unit, I'll be in the course I want :D

I enjoyed the entire program! It was challenging at times to balance it with Year 11 studies, but in the end, it pays off since I’ll get into the course I want and I’ll have at least two less units when I do my undergrad :D

I'd recommend it to Year 10s going into Year 11 and all future grades. I'd like to work for MQ and endorse the program. It doesn't get enough attention :(

AsuTeksu

Rising Renewal
HSC
what's the point if u can't do it for actuarial and law?

also what course
Bahaha, personally, I hate actuarial and law. People in my grade picture me, either as a lawyer or a doctor, but I could not deal with one day as a lawyer.

I'm working towards a Bachelor Of Clinical Science

Bob99

temporarylol hater
HSC
Does doing assignments means all my marks come from hand in assignments, meaning I won't ever need to cram for exams again - OR - will there be times that uni does tests/exams (E.g. like HSC?)

THANKS much love all uni people <3
some subjects have everything.
Assignments + weekly quizzes + midterm tests + final exam
+ hurdles you need to pass to pass the unit
(i am suffering)

carrotsss

HSC
Bahaha, personally, I hate actuarial and law. People in my grade picture me, either as a lawyer or a doctor, but I could not deal with one day as a lawyer.

I'm working towards a Bachelor Of Clinical Science
as like a pathway to med or just for the degree itself

AsuTeksu

Rising Renewal
HSC
as like a pathway to med or just for the degree itself
Medicine, idk, I have this thing against USYD and UNSW and all the other hyped-up ones. They seem more like status to me at this point. More and more I'm seeing doctors taking courses at MQ and the few I've spoken with are actually well educated.

Bob99

temporarylol hater
HSC
gamsat is the most riskiest thing to ever exist, ik someone who did that course and couldnt pass it so they basically wasted time + money and had to choose another degree
i just looked it up and the exam is >5h wtf

carrotsss

HSC
Medicine, idk, I have this thing against USYD and UNSW and all the other hyped-up ones. They seem more like status to me at this point. More and more I'm seeing doctors taking courses at MQ and the few I've spoken with are actually well educated.
MQ med is full fee paying though so unless your parents are extremely balling it’s not really a great option

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)