How offers work! .? (1 Viewer)

Ballinnn

HSC
So Im just wondering how offers work, is it better to put a course I know il get into first or hold out for a chance to do a better course!

I got 89.3 and I'm just missing out on economics in usyd, however I know I can pretty much pass maqs cutoff of 89.4 for economics/applied finance. Should I put usyd first or maq? If I put maq second could this mean I miss out on my course if they fill up the places?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
The best strategy for ordering preferences is believe it or not, ordering them by how much you want to do the course.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
The best strategy for ordering preferences is believe it or not, ordering them by how much you want to do the course.
I know a couple of people, who fear wasting atar points. Hahaha.

D94

HSC
N/A
So Im just wondering how offers work, is it better to put a course I know il get into first or hold out for a chance to do a better course!

I got 89.3 and I'm just missing out on economics in usyd, however I know I can pretty much pass maqs cutoff of 89.4 for economics/applied finance. Should I put usyd first or maq? If I put maq second could this mean I miss out on my course if they fill up the places?
Those cut-offs were for 2013 starting students; you appear to be a 2014 starting student, therefore, we do not know the cut-offs. Cut-offs are released after offers have been released. The ATAR of the student who received the last offer is the cut-off for the course.

You cannot know the cut-off without knowing whether you received an offer or not. You should, as OzKo said, order them in your desired preference. If you want to go to USYD, put USYD first.

Ballinnn

HSC
Those cut-offs were for 2013 starting students; you appear to be a 2014 starting student, therefore, we do not know the cut-offs. Cut-offs are released after offers have been released. The ATAR of the student who received the last offer is the cut-off for the course.

You cannot know the cut-off without knowing whether you received an offer or not. You should, as OzKo said, order them in your desired preference. If you want to go to USYD, put USYD first.

Could I lose my second preference to trying to hang on to some sort of slim hope of receiving my first preference?

pHyRe

HSC
no... they just cycle through your preferences.

don't make 1st pref? they try 2nd, dont make that? they try 3rd etc. etc. until you get in or run out of preferences which wont happen with 89 ATAR as long as you dont fill them all up with Law, commerce, science stuff like that @usyd/unsw

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)