How much weighing do the internal have? (1 Viewer)

Living Moment

HSC
Yes I now its theoretical 50% but my two tutors tell that there not that important, its mostly the HSC exam at the end of the day

My girlfriend is have a massive freak out right now almost about the faint
Say she gets 65% in internally and 90% in the HSC exam (For Chem, Bio, Physics and general math) and roughly 70% in English in both internals and HSC exam, what would happen??? I've been told two thing either they will combine e.g. 65+90/2 which will give her an overall 77.5??? or they only use the internal as position spreading for HSC results for e.g. if she get 10/20 as there’s a gap of 2.3 marks between each student, they will then use this to place the spreading of HSC exam results thus meaning your HSC exam the most important

Please help she freaking out right now, We both want to get into secondary teaching which is 82 cut off, she might repeat </3 and wants to know how much internals affect her ATAR Please!!!

D94

HSC
N/A
Very simply, to calculate your final internal mark (which is worth 50% of your final HSC mark), you will need to know the highest/lowest HSC exam marks, your raw internal assessment marks (ie. the marks you accumulate throughout the year), the mean of the raw marks and HSC exam marks.

Let's make a very oversimplified example with 4 students, A, B, C and D. For raw assessment marks, they achieve:

A = 70
B = 68
C = 65
D = 55

In the HSC exam, they achieve:
A = 88
B = 91
C = 96
D = 82

This means that ALL final internal marks will be between 82 and 96. Now, the mean of the raw assessment marks must be brought up or down to equal the mean of the HSC exam marks, excluding outliers. So, in my example, the mean of the HSC marks is 90.5. So, once the raw marks are moderated, the mean should also be 90.5. Also, the highest ranked student will receive the highest exam mark for their internal mark, the lowest ranked student will achieve the lowest exam mark for their internal mark.

Now, a process to align your raw assessment marks with the HSC exam marks takes place. I would expect the final assessment/internal marks to be around the following:
A = 96
B = 94
C = 91
D = 82

The relative gaps between each student are kept the same. (I've rounded mine though), but the mean is fairly similar.

Then, the final HSC mark is the average of your internal and external exam marks:
A = 92
B = 93
C = 94
D = 82

Remember that moderation takes place. It's there so students who've sat difficult assessments aren't disadvantaged compared to those students who've sat easier assessments at school. Exam marks are taken into consideration - it sets the upper and lower bound for moderating the assessment marks. Assessment marks are rather important - you want as many and as close to first. Don't worry too much about rank. If you're close to first, e.g. 2 marks from first whilst coming 30th, then you're fine. It just comes down to the exam which makes the difference.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
She's talking about her internal raw marks which do not determine your final assessment mark. Your school can theoretically report you as having 50% but your final assessment mark could be 100.

We need ranks to determine anything properly and all of your internal assessments combined will be worth as much as the HSC exam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)