How much study should i have done? (1 Viewer)

Dolce

HSC
How much study should i have done over these last 2 weeks? I know its probably a little late to worry about that but it would be good to get an indication.

Have fun...good luck everyone

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
as much you need to feel confident.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I have done 4 hours in total in the last 7 days. I'm a last minute person. This week will be a cram session (7+ hours a day)

Depends on what you are confortanble with and what you require. Everybody is different.

MCOLT

HSC
i studied the night before for the trials for all my exams except english and maths. i reckon doing more than 5 a day is counterproductive

jdrockefeller

HSC
One day I did 7+ hours, then the next I did nothing. But I've averaged about two per day. Starting tomorrow I'm gonna ramp it up. I didn't see the point of studying for 5+ hours a day three weeks out from exams. I'm thinking quality over quantity.

HSC
N/A
Someone I know is doing 9 hours a day. Yes - 9. From 9am-6pm.

Personally, I think it's too much. She spent all year not doing much at all, and is now completely stressed out trying to know everything.

I might be proved wrong, but I just damn well hope she's taking suffient breaks.
If you just keep cramming more information in, without stopping every 45minutes or so to let the information sink in - you're going nowhere, or at least not very far.

Short term memory can only hold a certain amount of information at once, it's already working full time trying to take in all your senses and other thoughts - give it a break so it can actually make real 'memories' of what you're learning. :)

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
Do whatever you feel is sufficient, just make sure you are picking it up not just counting the hours go by saying oh ive done 7 hours a day and thinking you are going to ace the exam.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Deus said:
I have done 4 hours in total in the last 7 days. I'm a last minute person. This week will be a cram session (7+ hours a day)

Depends on what you are confortanble with and what you require. Everybody is different.
I'm the same...its really quite bad :rolleyes:

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
Depends what subjects you're doing. For scientific subjects like Maths, Physics and Chemistry, my friend tells me he just does past paper on top of past paper, so it's easy for him to reach 8 hours a day by doing, say, two 4 unit papers and a Chem paper.

On the other hand, if you're doing humanities subjects like History, SOR or Extension English you're probably going to be doing more reading and revising and practising writing tasks from 40 minutes to an hour in length. So you probably won't reach 8 days a day (I know I haven't). So I'd say from 3-5 hrs a day for this setup would be fairly solid.

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
I was studying way longer for my trials...
I was probably doing ~ 12 hours a day (not in one big chunk.... i was having breaks here and there)
It was worth it.... i jumped up a few ranks in most of my subjects... ( a few is alot seeing as though my largest class is comprised of 12 students)

neways...

I think that paid off because now i know alot of the content covered before the trials...which means most of my study is revision (thus less time is needed)

Im doing around 6-9 hours depending on the subject...if i do a maths past paper thats already 3 hours spent. I fully agree with u there C James... it does depend on ur subjects!!!

Ive been studying content wise, rather than saying "today im gonna do 12 hours"
I'll be like "today im gonna cover 1 module"...

I think by now u should have done quite a fair bit of study as the larger part of STUVAC is already finished, although i know alot of ppl with large gaps before an exam are leaving study till then (for that specific subject)...

for example a few ppl from my school have a 6 day break before extension english... thats more than enough time to study for 1 unit... so it really depends.. some of us have exam straight after each other so theres no time then... so u gotta do it now!

I would have to agree that 5 hours a day should be sufficient.... but If u wanna do 12 hours and think its too much, its not. If ur doing past papers...spend 4 hours actually studying, 6 doing 2 past papers, and another two correcting ur mistakes and stuff!!!.. its doable!.. Time flies when ur doing past papers... (now replace 'doing past papers' with 'having fun')

nywas... Im done boring u guys to death (did u gusy actually read all that)....

Good luck to u all!!!

Last edited:

nowhereperfect

HSC
Ive done proberly like 6 hours in the past 2 weeks. It sucks i want to do it but when i sit down im just not wanting to do it and i feel restless and want to kick and scream.
and i get that constant parents going do work do work.
ahhhhh i hate HSC die die die

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
My friend who goes to SBHS told me that the headmaster interviewed each boy individually and told them to do AT LEAST 10 hours a day...

Then again, the majority of them do science subjects and high levels of maths.

physician

HSC
nowhereperfect said:
Ive done proberly like 6 hours in the past 2 weeks. It sucks i want to do it but when i sit down im just not wanting to do it and i feel restless and want to kick and scream.
and i get that constant parents going do work do work.
ahhhhh i hate HSC die die die
yeh we all start to feel that way...

the first few days of studying were hard... i couldnt be bothered, i got sick of looking at my notes, my room was dperessing etc etc.. thats when i decided to change location...

instead of studying in my room... i went outside in the sunshine... under an umbrella table and studied there
the next day i decided to study on a soft cool and cumfy leather couch.. realxed and all...

an interesting method u can try is to study each subject in a different room (setting).. or even each module, it'll help u remember things more easily (ud be surprised).. try It!

physician

HSC
c_james said:
My friend who goes to SBHS told me that the headmaster interviewed each boy individually and told them to do AT LEAST 10 hours a day...

and after all lets face it, they do end up getting UAI's above 99 (alot of em do anywas)... It just goes to show that to get the marks u need to put in both the time and effort!

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
c_james said:

hahah mate, that didn't happen. Its all rumours.

darkroomgirl

HSC
I've been doing 5-6 hours a day average... and some days I do better and actually clock up 7-8. It gets tiring, and it gets on your nerves... but seriously, I'd do anything just for that feeling of confidence that I have before and after an exam...

I haven't really been doing past papers that much. I look at past questions, and construct notes from those that LOOK like essays, but as for little 40 minute/1 hour periods in which I just write... well, I'm a good studier. I know I could cram those in this week.

It's true what everyone's saying about how subjects matter. I have 11 units and 5 of them have the majority of the marks all done already (Music, Visual Arts, Extension 2... although the first two still have theory exams coming up)... which is good because I get to focus on the rest of my subjects, especially English. All this time I've been freaking out about people saying they're doing 10 hours a day... then I realised that I didn't really have that much to study for anyway (which doesn't mean there's little AT ALL. There's plenty, just not as plenty as other people)... and besides they're all humanities-based, which means that my mind is just on one track, content-wise.

The good thing, too, is that all my exams are spread apart quite well. I could focus on English this whole week (but do a little of other subjects as well) because aside from my Music Aural Exam (which is very good to study for), that's all I have for next week, then an 8-day break. So yeah, I reckon I'm doing pretty alright... :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)