~How Much Should I Study Per Subject? (1 Viewer)

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
INB4 OVER 24 HRS A DAY

I may be confused by changing my subjects from WA to HSC but I think i'm aiming for a UAI of 90-100.

The subjects I am doing are:
  1. Chemistry
  2. Standard English
  3. Economics
  4. Advanced Mathematics 1
  5. Advanced Mathematics 2
  6. Physics
I'm looking to get an average score in these of 80-95, so how much time should I be putting into study and into afterschool work (keeping ahead of the class etc.)

Please don't say it varies between people, I have no "out of school" activities and want to keep my scholarship and career oppurtunities at a maximum

Thank you for reading

Last edited:

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Study four hours a weekday, maybe 1 hour for each subject, concentrate more on the subjects your struggling with. On the weekend maybe stretch that to 6 hours, and keep rotating so you're studying every subject.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
aMUSEd1977 said:
2-3 of EFFECTIVE study is good for weekdays. People can go on and on (this thread is done over and over), telling your how much you should study and what not.

It's simple:

DO WHAT YOU FEEL YOU CAN
So since i have 6 subjects I should do maybe half an hour of study of each subject ONTOP of homework?

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Im lost

according to your sig u want to do commerce/law with economics major at uni yet ur doing ext 2 maths, chem, physics and STANDARD english?????

whilst u will definately get a high UAI from those subjects, sufficent to get into ur desired course, im curious as to why u dont hav more written subjects???

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
aMUSEd1977 said:
You don't have to study every subject, every night. Break it, do 2 subjects some nights, 3 other nights and 1 other nights. THen again, if you are comfortable studying 6 subjects a night, then go for it. I personally, couldn't. I'd group the similar subjects - Legal Studies with Business Studies, History with English und PE and Maths by itself.
I'll have another look at my study timetable, thanks.

Maybe just catch up work/homework before dinner then study after dinner?

At the moment I stay back after school for 2 hours every day with a friend to do pre-test revision and various inclass stuff then get home maybe do a hour.

In reply to why I don't do what is called over here "English Literature" is because I am maths/science based so its easier for me to study for maths and science and get a high TER rather then getting a poor pass for english (I am only counting my 2 maths and 2 science for my TER.)

Reading the commerce forums it sounds like law is the way to go, even if you don't use it you get the prestige of saying you have a law degree (commerce/law most employable corprate degree apparently.)

I'll probally end up doing statistics work (accounting/something else begining with a that i forgot) untill i can get a managment/upper role (Investment banking/Executive role.)

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
DownInFlames said:
I'd say you should be looking to study about 25 hours per day. Serious business, the HSC.
Pretty much :l

I still want a 98ish enter even if i'm not gonna be bothered doing Law/Medicine

arae

travels
HSC
Think of it this way. How much time do you need to take for yourself *not* studying?

ice ken

HSC
DownInFlames said:
I'd say you should be looking to study about 25 hours per day. Serious business, the HSC.
way too little 25 hrs a day.

being srz i think that you should do about 5-8 hrs per sub a week on top of hw!

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
ice ken said:
way too little 25 hrs a day.

being srz i think that you should do about 5-8 hrs per sub a week on top of hw!
BRUTE STUDY PLAN IS BRUTE!

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
arae said:
Think of it this way. How much time do you need to take for yourself *not* studying?
8 hours sleep + 1 hour foodsies + 1 hour commuting to and from school + 7 hours at school + 1 hour of TV watching + 3 hours reading + 1 hour exercise + 4 hours of procrastination = -2 hours left for schoolwork. This time usually comes out of the sleep increment.

And to think that I got 89.5 UAI.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Studentleader said:
I may be confused by changing my subjects from WA to HSC but I think i'm aiming for a UAI of 90-100.

1. Chemistry
  2. Standard English
  3. Economics
  6. Physics
I'm looking to get an average score in these of 80-95, so how much time should I be putting into study and into afterschool work (keeping ahead of the class etc.)

Please don't say it varies between people, I have no "out of school" activities and want to keep my scholarship and career oppurtunities at a maximum

Thank you for reading
4 hours per subject per day.

ice ken

HSC
DownInFlames said:
8 hours sleep + 1 hour foodsies + 1 hour commuting to and from school + 7 hours at school + 1 hour of TV watching + 3 hours reading + 1 hour exercise + 4 hours of procrastination = -2 hours left for schoolwork. This time usually comes out of the sleep increment.

And to think that I got 89.5 UAI.
hmmm nice calculating wat course are u doing?

well i did average 6:30-12pm a nite. always started after the news! dont stress to much go out on weekends have a few drinks.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Razizi said:
4 hours per subject per day.
I wouldn't recommend studying one subject for such a long period of time. You have to manage an equal balance of study amongst all your subjects.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Aplus said:
I wouldn't recommend studying one subject for such a long period of time. You have to manage an equal balance of study amongst all your subjects.
6 subjects multiplied by a total of 4 hours for each subject per day is 24 hours of study the whole day. No time wasted.

ccc123

HSC
Studentleader said:
INB4 OVER 24 HRS A DAY

1. Chemistry
  2. Standard English
  3. Economics
  6. Physics

Thank you for reading
Roughly, I think it is sensible to study a couple of hrs per subject per week, though you should study more vigourously come exam time.

I know you asked not to say 'it varies between people', but this is teh inevitable truth, and you need to study as often as it takes you to feel confident with the content as you go.

Good luck!

munchiecrunchie

HSC
Studentleader said:
INB4 OVER 24 HRS A DAY

1. Chemistry
  2. Standard English
  3. Economics
  6. Physics

Thank you for reading
I actually do most of those subjects so I think I can give you some construtive advice.

Considering that you go to school 6 hrs a day and that you have a life, I think that 4 - 6 hours per day is ok.

Economics - I find that this one of your most theoretical subjects, so its more about getting the content into ur head. I'd go for about an hour per day.

Physics - this is your hardest subject (assuming you judge the degree of difficulty like the general student population). You should really spend time reading the theory and practising questions. about 1.5 hours.

Chemistry - slightly easier, more about the practice as well. one hour

Maths - 1.5 hours. get some solid practice.

English - 1 hour is sufficient.

This is obviously going to change when the workload varies between each subject, and with upcoming assessments, but you can kinda see how the degree of difficulty and the amount of practice required determines the amount of time you spend on each subject.

Hope that helped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)