How much of a difference can trials make? (1 Viewer)

leesh95

HSC
I completely messed up in my recent assessment block and ended up pushing my rank down in every subject.
I still have my trials left and they are worth 30-40% for every subject. Realistically speaking how much of a difference will they make in improving my ranks? that is if I manage to do really well in them.

Streetboy

HSC
N/A
They can make a difference, but we need your current ranks tell you?

I personally ranked 1st in all my subjects at Sydney Boys, so just study hard and hope that you don't bomb the exam, just like you did your ranks. Let just say for example, if you ranked 6 in chemistry and you have 30% Trials- this would depended how smart the first person is, you can't just move to top 3 from 7, since those who are top 3, will also work hard for the Trials. It could be possibe, but just work hard. you can still get 90+ Atar, if you do reallly well in Trials and HSC.

Last edited:

AnimeX

HSC
N/A
They can make a difference, but we need your current ranks tell you?

I personally ranked 1st in all my subjects at Sydney Boys, so just study hard and hope that you don't bomb the exam, just like you did your ranks. Let just say for example, if you ranked 6 in chemistry and you have 30% Trials- this would depended how smart the first person is, you can't just move to top 3 from 7, since those who are top 3, will also work hard for the Trials. It could be possibe, but just work hard. you can still get 90+ Atar, if you do reallly well in Trials and HSC.
notsureifsrs ~ I thought you attended a 200+ school. And rank 1 in all your subjects at a school like Sydney boys is like near impossible...

Nevertheless, OP, if you smash trials and externals you can easily bounce back.

As you would know the HSC mark is based on your internals and externals averaged, ultimately meaning that trials are worth 15-20% of your HSC and the actual HSC exam is worth 50%. So you've still got a chance to bounce back.

Good luck!!

leesh95

HSC
I would say I'm 3rd and 2nd in all my subjects.

egnaro315

HSC
sometimes it could mean the difference between a band 4 or a band 5. I would suggest really smashing your trials so you will have a better chance at maximizing your atar when you do your hsc.

enoilgam

HSC
Given the weighting of trials in most courses, they can have a significant impact on your internal rankings. I remember that when I did my HSC, things changed quite a bit at trial time, as some people flamed out whilst others came back and did really well after poor performances earlier in the year. To be honest, I would go as far as saying that the trials are make or break with regards to your internal rankings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)