How much Math is needed for Commerce (1 Viewer)

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
For first year units like ACST101 / ECON111 / STAT170 , you may need a bit of maths (very easy though like algebra). As for your major in HR or Marketing, I see little mathematical skills that are required.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
For first year units like ACST101 / ECON111 / STAT170 , you may need a bit of maths (very easy though like algebra). As for your major in HR or Marketing, I see little mathematical skills that are required.
Pretty much this.

The only math that really comes into play in marketing majors is market research.

Bongos

HSC
So if I major in either one I dont have to do the math related subjects?

ChrisAC

HSC
acst is quite a barrier for the avg marketing student

i know one who failed it twice and ended up completing it in their last semester along with other 3rd year units

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
What is acst?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just googled it lol http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/2012/Units/UGUnit/ACST101

This unit provides an introduction to the pricing of financial instruments in the techniques section, and to the functions of the Australian financial system in the elements section. The principal components are the basic methods of financial mathematics and the structure of the financial system. In this unit students apply the mathematical concepts in valuing a range of financial instruments including investment accounts, promissory notes, mortgage loans, personal loans and bonds

crazy_paki123

HSC
its as the legendary lecturer David Westcott says "70% maths and 30% theory" and all the negative crap he'll feed you to try to intimidate you. Also the maths is challenging for a person that does not like maths, especially in annuities. I dont think you'll like Big Davey Westcott not many people do cause hes mean and very monotonous but hes the only lecturer for it so your stuck with him either way. the weekly quizzes are all assessable and get annoying after a while, but if i were u id try to get 100 for each one, especially since you get a week (no time limit) to do them and 2 goes. Maths isnt too difficult at all just consumer arithmetic from highschool but as i stated before, if you hate maths you will need to try very hard for this sub and dont let David Westcott bring you down, prove him wrong cause he just thinks everyone will fail even if you miss one lecture lol

kkmok

HSC
Uni Grad
Around 30% people will fail in acst101, and 10% of them don't even go to the final exam.

A lot of people don't even attempt the first few tutorial questions prior to the tute.
Then not trying the tutorial questions in the tutorial and just waiting for the solution.

If you struggle in maths, you should spend more effort in acst101, it's not hard overall anyway just need a lot of practice.
If you good at maths, don't even really need to go to lecture, all high school maths stuff

ellenbrown2

HSC
No matter what your major is, all commerce students have to complete x amount of compulsory units. Math subjects that are compulsory include; ACST101, ACCG106, ECON111 and STAT170. I failed general maths in year 11 (and dropped it, so did no maths in year 12), and managed to get a distinction for ACST101. Macquarie University is good in the sense that (although it might have helped me to do maths in high school) they teach you it all. You definitely need to put in the work, but they're fine...

enoilgam

HSC
I plan to major in marketing or HR

Thanks
Most unis will make you study accounting and stats as part of a business degree, so you do need some mathematical knowledge. In terms of the actual majors themselves, very little maths is required. Marketing will require maths to the extent that you will need to be able to interpret statistics and maybe even do some statistical analysis of your own. To a lesser extent, you may also be required to do this for HR, especially if you do units related to Change Management. In any event, it's very basic maths which most people should easily be able to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)