How much do tutors help in MX1? (1 Viewer)

Tea Faerie

HSC
I'm in yr11 and just started maths extension 1. I moved schools this year and at my new school the standard of students are much higher than at my previous school. Im alright at maths, but at the bottom of my class atm :uhoh:

I really enjoy maths but compared to the standard of students at this new school I definately need to do some catching up.

So will a tutor be helpful in strengthening my foundation and bettering my rank? How often should i get tutoring? Any personal experiences you'd like to share?

HSC
helped me quite alot i would have to say..

i learnt the material a few weeks beforehand
and we did a basic arithmetic, algebra and absoulte values test
and im confident i got >98%..

it was sort of like school was reinforcing what i had learnt..
(should be the other way round) but oh wel..

Tea Faerie

HSC
There are 2 classes, graded classes, and im in the B one. There are perhaps 25 of us in that class. If atm I'm coming last(not by too much), is it possible to raise my rank by mabey 10/15 places if i started getting tutored?? (i am prepared to put in the effort). Would I see results fairly quickly?

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
if u feel u need it, then go for it
it'll help u do ur work and understand it but that said, u might not need one.
u can always just ask your teacher and keep up with ur maths work by urself

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
There are 2 classes, graded classes, and im in the B one. There are perhaps 25 of us in that class. If atm I'm coming last(not by too much), is it possible to raise my rank by mabey 10/15 places if i started getting tutored?? (i am prepared to put in the effort). Would I see results fairly quickly?
yes its possible, its possible without tutoring as well. As for results fairly quickly, it depends if u learn the topics thoroughly and ur grasp on the topics,
as u are at the bottom right now, i dont think that u understand ur topics fully and that you would have to relearn them again.

Tea Faerie

HSC
yes its possible, its possible without tutoring as well. As for results fairly quickly, it depends if u learn the topics thoroughly and ur grasp on the topics,
as u are at the bottom right now, i dont think that u understand ur topics fully and that you would have to relearn them again.
I hope so. Yes at my old school I am only now realising how much i was meant to get taught that i wasn't! But even studying on my own I'm not doing too good, i studies for 3 hours the night b4 the last test (plus study leading up to it) and still came last :(. The problem is that what is preassumed knowledge I didn't actually learn last year, and classes move rather swiftly.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
I hope so. Yes at my old school I am only now realising how much i was meant to get taught that i wasn't! But even studying on my own I'm not doing too good, i studies for 3 hours the night b4 the last test (plus study leading up to it) and still came last :(. The problem is that what is preassumed knowledge I didn't actually learn last year, and classes move rather swiftly.
thats not that much. but maths u have to keep doing maths problems everyday or like that, so u basically dont really need to study much before an exam or if u do ur just checking that you know everything u think u do

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I found it worked well for me, resulted me being Top 5 at SBHS. Then again, that Tim Siu guy doesn't go to tutor, and he's consistently Top 5 too. So go figure. =P

Different things work for different people.

HSC
I found it worked well for me, resulted me being Top 5 at SBHS. Then again, that Tim Siu guy doesn't go to tutor, and he's consistently Top 5 too. So go figure. =P

Different things work for different people.
which tutor did you go to? lol. because mathemagic isn't helping me much.

fannymasta

HSC
going to tutor will definitely boost your knowledge of maths.

i'd say maths once a week is enough for me. i go for 2.5 hours each week and i'm pretty confident of getting high marks in my class.

From opinion, it also depends on your school maths teachers quality of teaching. Since mines slow (its his first year teaching ext 1=.=), i had to go tutor in order to get my marks and quicken my understanding of certain topics etc

ghost in drag

HSC
My mxt1 schoolteacher isn't very good so I've been relying on tutor (Truong) for a better understanding. Personally I'd recommend a tutor if your foundations aren't good since that's how I started out and since then I've improved a lot. :)

jchoi

HSC
I don't get it, if you study, you'll boost your ranking. If you attempt more questions, compile them and take them to your teacher before/after/during school and get them solved, I don't think you should need a tutor.

A tutor won't make any difference, unless you put your efforts in. Getting a teacher won't magically change your attitude, but it can help if you have one. But, I suggest you try harder before going for one because they are expensive T_T.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't get it, if you study, you'll boost your ranking. If you attempt more questions, compile them and take them to your teacher before/after/during school and get them solved, I don't think you should need a tutor.

A tutor won't make any difference, unless you put your efforts in. Getting a teacher won't magically change your attitude, but it can help if you have one. But, I suggest you try harder before going for one because they are expensive T_T.
That being said a tutor can also advise you on those things if you have no idea on how to boost your mark. Good tutors who have struggling students should be able to attack the weaknesses of their students in detail so that they don't make them in the future. I know when I tutor id make sure if my student got 50%, I'd thoroughly check through their test, separate the silly mistakes from the ones that the student had no idea to, and make sure to solidify the student's understanding this area. If you do get a tutor, like the above said, you will have to be really committed to putting in extra effort and that would mean doing the tutor's hw as well as balancing school work.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Tea Faerie

The very bright can learn things by themselves. For others it also depends on the teachers u have. If u have a good one maybe u can manage without a tutor.

In ur case, as Timothy.Siu suggests, u probably didn't understand ur topics fully. From my experience, although I've not had my share of 'good' students, many enter yr 11 with a wobbly foundation. But it is often difficult for an individual to realise this by himself. If u can afford it, the earlier u get help the better. For the brighter ones a good tuition centre may be the way to go; for others a 1-to-1 may be better if u can get a good tutor - one with a solid background in maths, familiarity with the HSC and a good 'explainer' and one who loves imparting maths knowledge.

For 3U a 2hr to 2.5 hr should be OK. Because of costs, parents often want to restrict class to 1 hr . . . but for 'slow' students this is hardly enough. How much time u require is also a function of your own ability.

Good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)