How many units are you doing? (1 Viewer)

Hopp

HSC
I'm really just curious. I am currently doing 12 although I am considering dropping to 10, is that advisable?

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
11 units

Why are you considering dropping? I would drop if I was very confident in my ability to smash 10

CaptainPrice

HSC
Doing 12, but considering to drop 1 unit depending on half yearly results. Dropping to 10 would mean you'd have no 'back-up' to fall back on in case you flunk your HSC exam, but if you're super confident in your 10 units or simply know you're not doing that great on a 2 unit subject, then by all means drop.

williamdaft

HSC
confident in smashing 10 units? Then do it! I was, it saved heaps of time, and I performed well in my 10.

I accelerated a subject.. so 8 units ftw for Year 12.. so many free periods, and I was motivated to study hard for only 8 units (which was only 3 subjects coz I did 4u maff :haha:)

But if you feel there's a subject or two is quite weak, then I advise 11 or 12 units coz you don't want to stuff up a subject giving you like 60ATAR and it has to count coz u have 10 units.

So it depends on how confident you are with your subjects. However, I suggest only 10, 11 or 12. I really don't recommend 13 or 14 unless you love them all.

Last edited:

Hopp

HSC
confident in smashing 10 units? Then do it! I was, it saved heaps of time, and I performed well in my 10.

I accelerated a subject.. so 8 units ftw for Year 12.. so many free periods, and I was motivated to study hard for only 8 units (which was only 3 subjects coz I did 4u maff :haha:)

But if you feel there's a subject or two is quite weak, then I advise 11 or 12 units coz you don't want to stuff up a subject giving you like 60ATAR and it has to count coz u have 10 units.

So it depends on how confident you are with your subjects. However, I suggest only 10, 11 or 12. I really don't recommend 13 or 14 unless you love them all.
That's an interesting point, your HSC year sounds like it was heaps cool with 8 units!
I want to drop a certain subject (EES), as it scales the worst and it is the class of which I am ranked the lowest out of my subjects. The only thing stalling me is my confidence in ex.2 english, I am fairly confident in my piece but haven't decided if I want to risk my ATAR on it.

williamdaft

HSC
That's an interesting point, your HSC year sounds like it was heaps cool with 8 units!
I want to drop a certain subject (EES), as it scales the worst and it is the class of which I am ranked the lowest out of my subjects. The only thing stalling me is my confidence in ex.2 english, I am fairly confident in my piece but haven't decided if I want to risk my ATAR on it.
Yeah 8 units felt much relaxed than the beginning of Year 12 where I did 10 (still relaxing to others doing 12, etc.)
If you want to drop EES as there is pretty much no point in doing it as you are absolutely certain it won't count towards your ATAR, then drop it.

But I warn you, doing 10 units is a very risky move that I had to discuss with my deputy and my parents to make sure I was going to do well in my 10. So only do it if you are really confident.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Doing 14, if you feel comfortable doing 10 do it, there are plenty of advantages (less stress, more time), but if you're not confident in all ten of them, or if you have a really crap day when you sit one of your exams, there's no security. I wouldn't personally be too keen on doing ten, but that's not to say that you shouldn't.

enoilgam

HSC
I'm really just curious. I am currently doing 12 although I am considering dropping to 10, is that advisable?
Having more than 10 units does offer you a safety net in case you do poorly. However, if you are carrying extra units which dont have a strong possibility of counting towards your ATAR, then it is largely pointless and you should probably drop them.

such_such

HSC
*personal experience* less is not always better.

If you like all your subjects + good ranks theres no reason to drop. But yeah, if you believe you'll smash all the 10 units then go for it :)

TrentsUnicorn

HSC
I'm doing 14 but will most probably drop to 12 after my half-yearly's :)

Dropping to 10 is completely up to you, but you should consider talking to all your subject teachers as well as your learning coordinator. See what they think as well. Good luck!

Hopp

HSC
I'm doing 14 but will most probably drop to 12 after my half-yearly's :)

Dropping to 10 is completely up to you, but you should consider talking to all your subject teachers as well as your learning coordinator. See what they think as well. Good luck!
Thanks, man. I think I will definitely have to talk to my ex.2 teacher and ask if she's confident that i will be able to achieve highly with my major work. Good luck to you too!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)