How many teachers/tutors do you think will retire once new curriculum rolls in? (1 Viewer)

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
Half the teachers in our school are like 40+ and have been teaching for more than 15 years. I don't think they're ready for a complete revamp of the syllabus. I'm guessing they're all gonna retire once it comes in (I think) 2014.

I'm going out on a limb here and guess that places like Harry's and Truong's are gonna retire since they're getting old too and probably don't want to learn different maths and makes new booklets or whatever. There's probably gonna be a shortage of good tutors for a while with tutors who've been tutoring for a long time going to retire. I'm guessing a lot of teachers/tutors are anxious about the new syllabus? It's probably one of the main reasons why I'm not going to tutor when I finish HSC knowing that a new syllabus is going to come out anyway so there's no point.

Anyway, what do you think?

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
New curriculum? So they're changing mx2? Hmm what will they put in there....? What ar he new topics for mx2?
I don't know, although school teachers would know. My chem teacher said it was much better as it went to more depth and is harder.

I'm not sure about you, but once I finish HSC, I'm going to sell all my books before it's too late :O

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm going out on a limb here and guess that places like Harry's and Truong's are gonna retire since they're getting old too and probably don't want to learn different maths and makes new booklets or whatever.
Fucking LOL.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
New curriculum? So they're changing mx2? Hmm what will they put in there....? What ar he new topics for mx2?
The topics are the same - however it has been shaped such that it includes multiple choice for Q1s (15 marks) and the exam comprises of 50% explain/show and 50% straight working out.

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
Fucking LOL.
Yes, hilarious, buddy.

The topics are the same - however it has been shaped such that it includes multiple choice for Q1s (15 marks) and the exam comprises of 50% explain/show and 50% straight working out.
Really? Is the entire nation going to do the same syllabus as NSW? Because VCE has different maths contents. I swear it had matrices.

Alkanes

HSC
I think it's actually 10 marks.

HSC
Uni Grad
Half the teachers in our school are like 40+ and have been teaching for more than 15 years. I don't think they're ready for a complete revamp of the syllabus. I'm guessing they're all gonna retire once it comes in (I think) 2014.
ahahahahahaha, not quite m8

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
ahahahahahaha, not quite m8
Not for all subjects, but there is a lot of changes in the year 7-10 courses. They want to add more asian history and focus more on world war 2 for history.
If you laugh this much over something like this, that's sad. You probably get an epileptic fit when something actually funny happens.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Lol mate these most of these people have done maths at uni. I think they'd cope with certain changes to a bloody High school syllabus. (especially since it's been dumbed down significantly since they actually did their HSC)

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
Lol mate these most of these people have done maths at uni. I think they'd cope with certain changes to a bloody High school syllabus. (especially since it's been dumbed down significantly since they actually did their HSC)
Yeah, I guess. It's not that they don't want to know it, but they'll use it as an excuse to retire. I know my maths tutor in year 10 said he was going to quit once it comes out. I think I read that the government is increasing salary pay for 'good' teachers to keep them from leaving. People gotta quit sometime, you know.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
True, though that's more of a personal decision. Not because of the syllabus change imo. And lol not all maths teachers are like 50-60 year olds (though that's how i imagine them :p).

They'll probably try and get overseas teachers also (who i think are generally shit)

michaeljennings

HSC
Not for all subjects, but there is a lot of changes in the year 7-10 courses. They want to add more asian history and focus more on world war 2 for history.
If you laugh this much over something like this, that's sad. You probably get an epileptic fit when something actually funny happens.
chill out lol...

Gigacube

HSC
I don't think that a teacher would retire just because a new syllabus comes in. Their job is to teach & they will put in the effort to learn the new syllabus so they can help students learn. A teacher enjoys teaching others and a new syllabus won't stop them from doing that.

So what if a teacher is old? If they enjoy what they do they will put in the effort to redo their lesson plans, gather new resources & learn the new syllabus.

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
I don't think that a teacher would retire just because a new syllabus comes in. Their job is to teach & they will put in the effort to learn the new syllabus so they can help students learn. A teacher enjoys teaching others and a new syllabus won't stop them from doing that.

So what if a teacher is old? If they enjoy what they do they will put in the effort to redo their lesson plans, gather new resources & learn the new syllabus.
Lol. I'm yet to find a teacher in my school that enjoys teaching. I guess the new teachers enjoy it at first. At our school the teacher's more like retelling since we've all studied the content before hand. And I know a few tutors retiring before the syllabus comes in. I don't see why it's so surprising. Some of these tutors have been teaching 20+ years and it's always been HSC content but now that it's moving to a national level, obviously big changes may happen. It's probably some epiphany that tells them that they've done their job and it's time to retire. Besides, most of the tutors I've been to are like 50+ year olds. Well that's based on what I've seen (and I know 2 maths tutors + 1 science teacher retiring before curriculum comes in).

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Syllabi change every 6 - 10 years so this is nothing new. Teachers deal with this about 5 - 6 times during their careers.

Sure some over 55s will take the opportunity to retire rather than have to adjust but most of us will simply get on with it and even enjoy the challenge and be re-invigorated to teach new material or in a new way.

HSC
Uni Grad
More Asian history is most likely just going to result in adding another textbook, teachers who teach history should know WW2 to high detail anyway.
Tbh I do borderline epileptic fit when super funny stuff happens lol.

But really reforms never achieve anything because hegemonic influences, whereby powerful groups support political leaders/parties to veto or severely water down changes so they can maintain the status quo - in which they have a vested interest in maintaining, and as such every change to the curriculum is effectively just a rewording or slight modification of the existing one.

Do you just go to a school with ridiculously good teachers / are you just hoping they think like this?
The majority (imo) really don't give a fuck and see education as a job in which they are paid regardless of what they do and have long lost any passion they may have had for teaching.
Part of the problem with reforms is that teachers unions try to veto/water them down because they don't want to have to learn the new stuff (along with concerns about job security, autonomy and working conditions etc) no matter how beneficial it may be to the students. I'm not sure to what extent this happens in Australia but it's quite prevalent in America. It's unfortunate but is the way it is for the most part, of course not all teachers are like this but far too many are, hence the poor reputation.

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
Do you just go to a school with ridiculously good teachers / are you just hoping they think like this?
The majority (imo) really don't give a fuck and see education as a job in which they are paid regardless of what they do and have long lost any passion they may have had for teaching.
Yep.

Syllabi change every 6 - 10 years so this is nothing new. Teachers deal with this about 5 - 6 times during their careers.

Sure some over 55s will take the opportunity to retire rather than have to adjust but most of us will simply get on with it and even enjoy the challenge and be re-invigorated to teach new material or in a new way.
Yeah, but I've been doing past papers and there isn't much of a difference. You'd think a national curriculum would have some big changes - we aren't the only state that have exams. Since you're a teacher, have you got any idea what's in the new curriculum?

And I'm not saying everyone is going to pack up their bags and retire. I'm saying people who've taught for a long time will find this new/different syllabus as a milestone and find it a suitable time to retire then having to ditch their students mid-year.

HSC
Uni Grad
Ohh that sounds fairly reasonable I guess, those that are around retirement age or looking to move on to something else, yeh.

http://www.acara.edu.au/curriculum/phase_1_-_the_australian_curriculum.html has an outline of sorts for the subjects but there doesn't seem to be any specific draft syllabus up as yet, tbh I'm not really sure where they are at in the development/implementation process.

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
Yeah, that's exactly my point.

Lol, that link doesn't outline much. I think I heard there was going to be more statistics in our exams? Man, I don't wanna go back to standard deviation and histograms

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)