How many hours for the year 9 yearly (1 Viewer)

dionb2014

HSC
To be honest I don't really want to do an overly excessive amount of study for the yearlies in 3 weeks or so but I just want to know how much you guys think is enough.

Jaymay

HSC
Just warning you, your gonna cop it for even asking this question on this site. Study the normal amount, as everyone else is... pull your finger out next year lol

jnney

lemon
HSC
I think I studied for 3 nights before the exams started, including note making. There isn't much they can test you on in year 9 anyway. :D

dionb2014

HSC
I think I studied for 3 nights before the exams started, including note making. There isn't much they can test you on in year 9 anyway. :D
Yeah you are right the content is somewhat limited. It's mainly for math. I am being tested on all year 9 and 10 work (I do understand there is lots of overlap) and I have the math school certificate in the week after exams ( I also understand that that will be considerably easier than the math yearly's. I've been casually studying for a few weeks now I just don't know how much I would be "expected" to be doing as I really don't want to be doing something pointless.

jnney

lemon
HSC
Yeah you are right the content is somewhat limited. It's mainly for math. I am being tested on all year 9 and 10 work (I do understand there is lots of overlap) and I have the math school certificate in the week after exams ( I also understand that that will be considerably easier than the math yearly's. I've been casually studying for a few weeks now I just don't know how much I would be "expected" to be doing as I really don't want to be doing something pointless.
Do past papers/ take a look at them for the SC if you want to know what to 'expect' in exams.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Wait Yr 9?

I cam 1st in five subjects in Yr 9 and my study was just to flick through the book the night before :p Same thing happened in Yr 10 but different subjects in the five :p Take me back to those days....

ljepoticax

HSC
I'm gonna be totally honest with you..year nine was such a blast and its not too serious but truthfully starting to study now just like all your classmates or even that little extra bit will make everything so much easier by the time you get to year 12 you'll be smarter and you'll get into the habit of constantly studying and you won't have to worry about over stressing and cramming everything. Although on the other hand i suggest at least a couple of days before your yearlies to study but still enjoy the year, like they all say "its only year nine" but remember each year gets harder and harder and you should start putting in the effort now. :)

dionb2014

HSC
lovehateschool - As everyone on this forum reiterates to me though, there is no direct link between people doing well in lower years and people doing well in the final exams. I purely want to do well now and don't ask me why I just want to. flicking through the book works for some people. I'm not one of them.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Read over your notes, do questions, it's about as far as you'd want to go in junior years.

Gigacube

HSC
Getting into good study habits is important & it can give you a head start over your peers.

If you've been topping most of your subjects then there's a good chance you'll get dux & a reward from your school. It's usually money.

tranx

HSC
I dont think i put pen to paper til year 12 and now im an ext. 2 math student :)

dionb2014

HSC
I'm gonna be totally honest with you..year nine was such a blast and its not too serious but truthfully starting to study now just like all your classmates or even that little extra bit will make everything so much easier by the time you get to year 12 you'll be smarter and you'll get into the habit of constantly studying and you won't have to worry about over stressing and cramming everything. Although on the other hand i suggest at least a couple of days before your yearlies to study but still enjoy the year, like they all say "its only year nine" but remember each year gets harder and harder and you should start putting in the effort now. :)
That really is my thinking to some extent. If I can learn studying skills and patterns now it would make sense then when everyone else is starting year 12 and desperately worrying about cramming and whatever I will already have a groove going. Then again the whole reason I'm asking you guys is I haven't lived through all of high school yet so what would I know.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
That really is my thinking to some extent. If I can learn studying skills and patterns now it would make sense then when everyone else is starting year 12 and desperately worrying about cramming and whatever I will already have a groove going. Then again the whole reason I'm asking you guys is I haven't lived through all of high school yet so what would I know.
Most people develop this during Preliminaries since senior work is so different to junior work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)