How lenient are Uni cutoffs? (1 Viewer)

LeadTaco

HSC
N/A
I'm particularly interested in Macquarie and UTS, going off my estimated ATAR from a calculator and the bonus points I'm getting, I'm looking at a 78 ATAR but my course cut-off is 80? So, is it common for people to get into courses, particularly engineering and science courses at these Uni's with a lower than cut-off ATAR?

Also, if I continue to switch my course selections, will it lessen my chances of being chosen in the main rounds?

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
There is no leniency. Either you get offers in the main round or latter rounds

astroman

HSC
should be lenient, depends on supply and demand basically, if slots are not filled up from the cut off and above, then the remaining will be taken in from highest Atar given first preference.

BlugyBlug

HSC
Engineering and Science are quite lenient. Have you looked at bonus points?

The only difference is you won't get your offer in the main round, you'll receive them a few weeks later.

LeadTaco

HSC
N/A
Engineering and Science are quite lenient. Have you looked at bonus points?
Yeah, for the course I want, I'm gonna receive 3 extra points for getting band 5s in specific subjects.

The only difference is you won't get your offer in the main round, you'll receive them a few weeks later.
Will that also affect the date I start at uni?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The cut-offs that are currently out there are last year's cut-offs. The cut-offs for this your - for you - won't be known until AFTER the offers have been made as the cut-off is determined by the supply and demand this year e.g. a cut-off last year might have been 80 but there may be more demand for that course this year so the cut-off may rise to 85 or if the demand is lower it could drop to 75.

D94

HSC
N/A
That cutoff was for 2014 commencing students - you are a 2015 commencing student. You will know if you make it in before knowing the cutoff. The majority of ATAR cutoffs are determined after offers have been released. You will know if you've made it in before knowing the cutoff. If there are 100 spots available, then typically, the ATAR cutoff becomes the ATAR of the student who received the 100th offer.

LeadTaco

HSC
N/A
If there are 100 spots available, then typically, the ATAR cutoff becomes the ATAR of the student who received the 100th offer.
Alright thanks, if that's the case though, say last year I was applying for a Bachelor of Eng/Sci at Macquarie which has an ATAR of 80 and I received an ATAR of 78 after bonus points, I would not have gotten into the course?

D94

HSC
N/A
Alright thanks, if that's the case though, say last year I was applying for a Bachelor of Eng/Sci at Macquarie which has an ATAR of 80 and I received an ATAR of 78 after bonus points, I would not have gotten into the course?
Well we don't know if 80 is simply the advertised cutoff or the real cutoff. If it was the real cutoff then you would not have gotten in. But my guess is that 80 is just an advertised cutoff and the real one is in the mid 70s.

LeadTaco

HSC
N/A
But my guess is that 80 is just an advertised cutoff and the real one is in the mid 70s.
Thank you thanks what I was looking for :), I guess what I meant from the beginning was whether Macquarie and UTS often inflate their Science and Engineering course cut-offs, and if anyone has had experience getting into these Uni's with ATARs under the cut-offs?

screwuhsc

HSC
hey i got a question on behalf of my mate he reckons he will get an atar of 65 and the wants to get into uws engineering which is 74ish would be abe to get in> I heard that uws take every1 who apply there?

astroman

HSC
hey i got a question on behalf of my mate he reckons he will get an atar of 65 and the wants to get into uws engineering which is 74ish would be abe to get in> I heard that uws take every1 who apply there?
UWS accepts anyone

TylahJane

HSC
Last year I got 87.75 and the corse I wanted to get into at UTS (Bachelor of Midwifery and Bachelor of creative intelligence and innovation) had a cut off of 94. I got 5 extra bonus points so I got 92.75 and got into the course, the cut off for said corse is now 92.75, so I think it has to do with supply and demand! :) Good luck!

photastic

HSC
For UNSW, can I stack my extra points with EAS and the 5 points with hsc plus? Also does EAS apply for actuarial studies?

Willy6

HSC
N/A
Is there anyone on BOS who got into a course, with an ATAR lower then the cut-off, yet the cut-off stayed the same the subsequent year?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)