how hard? (1 Viewer)

janev

HSC
N/A
Hi everyone, so today the Head of English came into my class to discuss the three levels of English which is Standard, Adcanced and Extention. He said advanced and extension are EXTREMELY hard and i 100% know that i want to do extension anyway. It's really stressful just thinking about how much effort and determination i'm going to have to put in for the next two years, but i'm mentally prepared for it.
To all of you who are doing extension, can you please tell me what it is like? Is the workload ridiculous and is the level of expectation extremely high?
Thanks in advance :)

SunnyScience

HSC
It's really isn't that hard. Personally, if I could go back, I wouldn't do it. This is only because the results obtained, in my opinion, are not worth the work needed. It's only 1 unit.

SunnyScience

HSC
Also, don't do standard. Never do standard.

(unless you absolutely, absolutely x1000 suck at English and score <50% in Adv.)

Lolzipops

HSC
To all of you who are doing extension, can you please tell me what it is like? Is the workload ridiculous and is the level of expectation extremely high?
When I first started extension I was going absolutely terrible. It's a bit difficult to get your head around the concepts at first I find, but once you get the hang of it and know how to structure your essays it gets a lot easier.
As for the workload, it is like doing a 2-unit subject at times. However, if you enjoy it then it's fine! Personally I do, and that makes it not as gruelling as other people find it. But as long as you persist at it and keep your motivation going, you'll be fine :)
As for the expectation - I think it varies throughout schools, and also with the elective your teacher chooses for year 12. At the moment we've been doing Navigating the Global (we did not know what hit us at first!) and although the level of expectation is quite high, you can still get good marks even if it isn't your best stuff - your teachers are there to award you the best marks possible, not to take marks away from you.

deswa1

HSC
Advanced isn't that difficult- its probably only a tiny bit harder than standard but the aligning will save your HSC. Don't do Standard. Please.

Living Moment

HSC
Never Never do Standard, honestly Adv isn't that different just in the work form the beginning, even better yet if you love English that much go for Ext1 or even Ext2, HSC is all that stress as people say it is, just put in the effort form the start and you'll see the results, besides if you really like something no one or nothing can stop you from achieving that so go ahead prove your head teacher wrong and laugh at her face when you get top in the school for Ext 1 English :D

jenslekman

HSC
Hi everyone, so today the Head of English came into my class to discuss the three levels of English which is Standard, Adcanced and Extention. He said advanced and extension are EXTREMELY hard and i 100% know that i want to do extension anyway. It's really stressful just thinking about how much effort and determination i'm going to have to put in for the next two years, but i'm mentally prepared for it.
if you really want to do extension you should do it - its arguably one of the most enjoyable subjects ive ever done at high school even though its probably the unit that wont count towards my atar.

if you really love english youll sooner or later find advanced english boring so since you "100% know" then do extension :)

and also - never do standard.

enoilgam

HSC
Advanced isn't that difficult- its probably only a tiny bit harder than standard but the aligning will save your HSC. Don't do Standard. Please.
This pretty much. Difficulty is subjective - so give EE1 a go and see for yourself. Remember you can always drop the subject if you dont like doing it, but you cant pick it up if you regret not doing it.

janev

HSC
N/A
thanks for your thoughts about EE1 guys! The teacher was kind of persuading everyone to do standard for some reason. He said if a person were to be alright in adv would have a worse mark then someone who does good in standard.
But anyway, i'm also going to be doing 3u math, legal studies, economics and business studies. In Year 12, i'm planning to jump into EE2 (for the major work!!) and then drop down to 2u math. Do you think it would be bad to drop down to 2u math?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
thanks for your thoughts about EE1 guys! The teacher was kind of persuading everyone to do standard for some reason. He said if a person were to be alright in adv would have a worse mark then someone who does good in standard.
Yeah... pretty much the opposite is true.

jenslekman

HSC
But anyway, i'm also going to be doing 3u math, legal studies, economics and business studies. In Year 12, i'm planning to jump into EE2 (for the major work!!) and then drop down to 2u math. Do you think it would be bad to drop down to 2u math?
you dont need to drop down to 2u maths if you dont want to. some people can handle the workload - personally i do 4maths 3english but i do 11 units; youll end up with 13units if you dont drop anything. just decide later during yr12 or drop a subject when you start to feel that it is affecting your performance in another subject

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Definitely try EX1 and see for yourself and at least do Advanced in the end :)

Also you don't have to drop 3U math to do 4U Eng. Girl in my year is doing excellent in both.

sophiecannard

HSC
I honestly think extension is easier then advanced. I get about equal marks for both but a lot of my friends do WAY better in extension then advanced. There is only one 'module' so to speak which means you don’t need to know four completely different concepts as in advanced/standard.
It is one of those subjects where you have that 'ahuh' moment. You don't really get the whole thing until halfway through, or even at the very end. It's a lot like a study of society really. I do crime and you talk about how the genre has changed overtime and why which pretty much equals history. Then you just throw in the books to back it up. Its completely different to advanced and I probably prefer it.

Unless you were getting like 50s-60s in year 10, don’t do standard! Standard is a lot easier and my teacher as always said that but if you think you have the ability and are willing to put A LOT of effort in and persevere, do advanced.

Hope I helped.

And don't stress too much over year 11. It means nothing. Learn your basics and mentally prepare for what’s coming the following year :)

sophiecannard

HSC
Yeah my teacher did that to. And she tells us to scare people in year 10 out of doing advanced. They already have in their mind who they think is capable of getting there in the end. It would be more beneficial for kids that weren't capable to start in standard then to drop or stress out because they cant do it. After year 11 2/3 of our advanced class left for standard.
And you should probably worry about math and extension 2 when you've got a bit more grounding on everything else. I was doing ext 2 but I droppped because I didnt want to handle two major works (BOW for art). It takes a lot time and is really stressful. Not that im trying to talk you out of it. But talk to your teacher when the time comes. He/she should have the best insight.
:)

EbonyHearts

HSC
It depends. Ask your teacher what elective of ext 1 english you are doing. Im doing ext 1 english and i regret it sooo much because we're studying post colonialism and i have no interest in that. If it were tragic hero or dystopian then i would've loved it. For the work-load, its like a whole new 2 unit subject so NOT WORTH IT unless you really want to do it and/or are planning to do ext 2...

starshine02

HSC
I actually think ext is more enjoyable than adv but that's just me. workload is about the same as 2unit but if you generally do well im english then i think it would be worth doing.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I always thought Extension was easier than Advanced because it's like two topics in two years instead of four topics within a year like in Advanced.

Also, don't do Standard.

animerocker

HSC
ee1 course isn't difficult however in the external hsc, the markers have a high expectation of you!
this is a direct quote from my teacher who has been an ee1 hsc marker for the past 5yrs.

Gr1ff1n

HSC
Go with Extension. I made the bad choice of selecting Standard English for the duration of this and last year and I'm regretting it at the moment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)