How hard is the first year of Engineering (1 Viewer)

belladonna99

HSC
N/A
Just a rough guide...Will I be working as hard as I was the last 2 weeks of the HSC? Is it mostly revision of HSC subjects for a while or do people find some bits really tough

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
First year engineer students have like 20-30 hour timetables per week from what I heard, so it's going to be pretty intense.

D94

HSC
N/A
For UNSW, you'll need consistent study as there are class tests and weekly quizzes/online tests.

Most of the first year stuff is new. There's some overlap in first semester mathematics, but the majority of content/concepts are new. Also depends on which engineering stream and what subjects you decide to take (it can differ between students).

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Depends on the type of person you are, your ability to understand stuff and/or the amount of effort you put in. UTS doesn't have as intense a timetable as say UNSW so you might not have to have 30 hour weeks. I've passed everything and done well in a lot of my subjects with quite minimal effort but i know plenty of people who have failed one or two subjects and have a couple of friends who have failed atleast half of their subjects this year.

belladonna99

HSC
N/A
thanks for this info. . My usual style is to attend lessons and then cruise until the assessment or exam and then work extremely hard. It seems that I may need to change this approach
Anyone from UOW know the no of hours per week?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
My usual style is to attend lessons and then cruise until the assessment or exam and then work extremely hard.
Works for me lol, even then "extremely hard" may be a stretch. It starts to be a problem when you cruise through the semester and then give up around finals rather than putting in the last minute effort - i know a guy who failed all four subjects last semester because of that.

brendo_11_6

HSC
N/A
My first year of engineering (electrical) at UOW had around 24 contact hours per week. All full time first year engineers will have a similar no. of hours to that at UOW

HSC
thanks for this info. . My usual style is to attend lessons and then cruise until the assessment or exam and then work extremely hard. It seems that I may need to change this approach
Yep contact hours are around 24 hours per week for a first year. That's not including time to do your online quizzes, assignments and study. The labs take up a good chunk of the contact hours.

Probably best to try and keep up each week although I know people who just cram during the study week and get away with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)